OEM tyres

tony h

GT Owner
Jun 16, 2010
United Kingdom
I had ordered 4 rear tyres from Kwik Fit several months ago and said that I would update when I had received them.

Today I had a call from Kwik Fit who said that they are going to refund the payment that I have made as Goodyear will not be making any more tyres of this size. :confused

I was led to believe both from the Supplier and Goodyear that a new batch would be made and distributed towards the end of the year 2010 or early 2011.

Does anyone know any different as it now looks like Goodyear have in effect sponsored a manufacturer only to leave it in the lurch as nobody else makes tyres of OEM size.

I have since fit Bridgestones and must say that there is a noticeable difference, especially on acceleration :lol. Not too concerned about OEM tyres but I suppose that this means that anyone interested in keeping their cars 100% stock are literally in the proverbial now.

Does anyone have any other information re OEM tyres :confused:confused

Tony h

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Working on it Tony. Ralphie sent a note to Goodyear and I spoke with SVT last night to see if they could lean on the tire manufacturer for us. I'm not super optimistic that Goodyear has the Ford GT high on their priority list at this point, but hopefully we can figure it out.

tony h

GT Owner
Jun 16, 2010
United Kingdom
Working on it Tony. Ralphie sent a note to Goodyear and I spoke with SVT last night to see if they could lean on the tire manufacturer for us. I'm not super optimistic that Goodyear has the Ford GT high on their priority list at this point, but hopefully we can figure it out.

Many thanks for reply.

Goodyear may very well not have the Ford GT on priority list, that said I have to say that its a bit of a low down trick to play.

Hopefully Goodyear will see the light and play ball in the near future.

There was me thinkin that I had an excellent deal on the tyres......as they say if it sounds too good to be true it probably is :frown

Suppose its a wait and see jobby.

Thanks again - Tony h

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
FWIW - I am not alone in thinking the Bridgestones are much bettter.

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
FWIW - I am not alone in thinking the Bridgestones are much bettter.
What size Bridgestones did you go with?

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
What size Bridgestones did you go with?

Not that you are asking me...but....

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?12372-THE-Tire-Thread/page17

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Yea, I meant to ask Tony. Sorry .....

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Those OCD types really interested in absolute originality should probably store their OEM tires. They won't be safe to use for their intended purpose in years to come, but they will be properly date coded for a future concours-for-the-anal-retentive.

SBR

GT Owner
Aug 23, 2009
Those OCD types really interested in absolute originality should probably store their OEM tires. They won't be safe to use for their intended purpose in years to come, but they will be properly date coded for a future concours-for-the-anal-retentive.
Sounds like me, LOL.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I may be switch to Bridgestones and have some almost new GY rears 06 production and used original fronts any takers from the originality crowd? Should I keep them. I think I have to change the fronts for Mojave due to the date code still some good tread but the rubber is OLD.

Last edited:

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
The tire rack website says the rear goodyears have an estimated availability of 03/25/11. Not sure if this is just a date that is perpetually moved back though.

tony h

GT Owner
Jun 16, 2010
United Kingdom
Yea, I meant to ask Tony. Sorry .....

Sorry not replied sooner, seem to be spending more time away from home these days....:frown

I fit 345/35-19 to the rear - the car sits well and you would never guess that they are not OEM. The tyres fit the arches better than stock in my opinion and makes the car look menacing from the rear (not that it needs any help in that department).

The grip is astonishing. I get very little wheelspin as opposed to the Goodyears, that said you can still light them up if you get a little trigger happy with the right foot :banana

I havent fit the fronts as I was led to believe that I could get Goodyears. I was going to keep the cars tyres stock but now I am going to fit 255/40-18 to the front. My homework tells me that a slightly narrower front will give me better normal road driving characteristics.

My car is an 05 and I think that its tyres are probably starting to go off, hence the lesser grip. I never intended to mix the tyres - hence decision to fit new fronts even though existing ones are like new.

Hope this helps.

Tony h

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
The tire rack website now shows rear goodyears estimated availability of 07/01/11.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
The OEM tires are in stock at the Tire Rack right now...not cheap, but in stock anyway. Only one set left from what I see.

Sorry, you are right...rears are not in stock. Is that Jan 7 or July 1?

Last edited:

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
I just found some (all 4) on ebay with 900 miles in excellent shape to have as spares....my car only has 1,500 plus change but thought the others would be good OEM keepers....

Derry

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
buffalo, NY
The OE tires are fine for show but I would not be doing any performance driving on 5 year old tires. Just my $.02.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
The OEM tires are in stock at the Tire Rack right now...not cheap, but in stock anyway. Only one set left from what I see.

Sorry, you are right...rears are not in stock. Is that Jan 7 or July 1?

July, although I would not be surprised to see the date revised again.

JPLeBoeuf

Feb 25, 2010
Dearborn, MI
Ford Tire Marketing team has located 20 sets and they are being sent to the Ford network warehouse now. Ford Production OE Purchasing is in escalation meetings with Goodyear relative to the worldwide rubber shortage. Purchasing has asked what it would take to get a new run. No guarantees at this point but Goodyear management wants to know how many sets are we talking about? If you are interested, reply here or contact your Ford dealer and ask them to order some and see what they tell you.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Here's my estimate for my GT....2-3 sets of rear tires per year, through 2015

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Would this be a run of the OEM, or the new supertire in the OEM sizes? Either way, I'm interested, while I like the Bridgestones, there's no guarantee that they'll become available soon either. I'd guess I'm good for a set of rears every year or so, and the fronts every 2-3 years