Odd Speedometer Behavior

ron1416

GT Owner
Jun 30, 2013
Southern California
Some Pics from Top Side

Next time approach it from the top side! (remove air filter box-a couple of accessible bolts and a hose clamp).

Attached are some pics looking down from the top side with the Air Box Removed.

Attachments

• CIMG0035.jpg
    CIMG0035.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 178
  • CIMG0049.jpg
    CIMG0049.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 174

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Problem = solution in less than 2 hours. Pretty awesome forum!

This may sound like a sales pitch but it's not (I will not suggest and fabricators). For those that drive the GT often and especially in warmer climates, I would highly recommend the some sort of heat shield on the exhaust. Specifically, I would suggest the use of Inconel (that cheap exhaust wrap from hot rod shops scares me). I had to wrap my exhaust because of performance upgrades but I measured the engine bay temps before and after, in multiple scenarios, and at it's hottest the Inconel lowered ambient temps by 100 degrees. That is definitely going to play into the long term life of the connectors back there.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
To supplement Fubar's post, at Rally VI while at the track with Rear Exit Headers (M-9430-GTX), I melted the connector that powers the solenoid on the starter. Fortunately, with Rich Roback's assistance, we were able to keep the wire connected with application of some RTV, which was sufficient to get me home (about 540 miles).

View attachment 34338

Then, Shadowman helped out by letting me know that the connector shell has a Toyota Part Number 90980-11400, and that the metal connector terminal with a 5" pigtail wire for repair has number 82998-12480. I ordered these through a local Toyota dealership. When I got to replacing them, I found that my wire and metal connector were fine, and snapped right into the new plastic connector shell.

Since then, when I was at the GT Guys in the summer of 2013, they told me that they had heat shields available for this area and also the clutch line, so I had them installed for heat protection.

I would recommend these shield to anyone running the Rear Exit Headers, as the four tubes are right next to this connector prior to entering the large collector which is seen in the photo. In fact, probably all configurations would benefit by having the GT Guy heat shields added.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
From the looks of it, the long tube headers might benefit too.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
From the looks of it, the long tube headers might benefit too.

I would imagine that cars with CATs could also use them. CATs get pretty hot sometimes.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I would imagine that cars with CATs could also use them. CATs get pretty hot sometimes.

OEM cats have built in heat shields. I made one for my FRPP cat deletes that attaches to the transaxle heat shield.

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
I have the same behavior. Looks like I need to order one asap.

Thanks again guys. I was considering a new speedo for major money.

Otis

Wow thx guys this was going on and I thought I needed a new speedo also. I use my radar detector for speed at this point. Great news if it works.

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
Wow thx guys this was going on and I thought I needed a new speedo also. I use my radar detector for speed at this point. Great news if it works.

All fixed thx.$17 and I almost bought a new speedo .

otis

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 13, 2011
Stillwater, MN
We'll the $20 part didn't help. I need a new speedo. Darn. Those are expensive. Anyone have one laying around I can buy?

Otis

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
We'll the $20 part didn't help. I need a new speedo. Darn. Those are expensive. Anyone have one laying around I can buy?

Otis

Strongly encourage you to get the Speedhut package. Replace all of them at once.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Strongly encourage you to get the Speedhut package. Replace all of them at once.

:agree:

+1!

otis

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 13, 2011
Stillwater, MN
No thanks I just want another one so in 10 more years I have something to complain about.

Otis

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
No thanks I just want another one so in 10 more years I have something to complain about.

Otis

I think it will be much sooner that another 10 years.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I agree with you otis. But, I have to admit my confidence would be shaken.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
my boost gauge went out for absolutely apparent reason. I bought one from a member here but it still sitting on the passenger seat waiting to be installed. Soon I will get Speedhuts. I'll put the replacement ford gauge in while I have the panel out, verify it works, and then put the whole thing away and replace them with speedhuts. Probably before the rally.

Speedhut has a bunch of different configurations of gauges and bezels, so I'd like to know the recipe for the "closest to originals"...

otis

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 13, 2011
Stillwater, MN
I hope those who are storing the gauges for another day are not disappointed. I'd hate to think 10 years from now I go and put them back in and that half or all are corroded and not working. I just don't understand why it's so hard to make a gauge work. If it was a Honda or Toyota they'd be recalling those cars in a minute. No better safety excuse than I didn't know I was going 100 MPH since my speedo stopped working. This is gauge number 3 for me. The first two were gas and voltage. Now one of the expensive ones.

Otis

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I hope those who are storing the gauges for another day are not disappointed. I'd hate to think 10 years from now I go and put them back in and that half or all are corroded and not working. I just don't understand why it's so hard to make a gauge work. If it was a Honda or Toyota they'd be recalling those cars in a minute. No better safety excuse than I didn't know I was going 100 MPH since my speedo stopped working. This is gauge number 3 for me. The first two were gas and voltage. Now one of the expensive ones.

Otis

I this is your 3rd why are you not going with Speedhut? Do you like removing the gauge cluster every few years?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I don't know why anyone would think that storing a gauge would preserve it.

While I appreciate the SpeedHut option, I haven't seen any that look close to the originals. Even something as simple as having the numbers outside the tick marks instead of inside. Maybe close to OEM can be done...just have not seen it. And, nothing can be done about the much smaller SpeedHut tach. If they won't make a flat bottom, then it has to be smaller.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I don't know why anyone would think that storing a gauge would preserve it.

While I appreciate the SpeedHut option, I haven't seen any that look close to the originals. Even something as simple as having the numbers outside the tick marks instead of inside. Maybe close to OEM can be done...just have not seen it. And, nothing can be done about the much smaller SpeedHut tach. If they won't make a flat bottom, then it has to be smaller.

I agree with everything you wrote. However IMO the hassles and expense of replacing the OEM gauges outweigh the differences in size and appearance.

I find the lighted pointers and backlighting of the Speedhut superior to OEM.

I bet Speedhut can make the gauge faces closer to OEM is you ask.