Nov issue Road and Track

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
The November issue of Road and Track is simply awesome the first article talks about the purity of the GT 40s.
What is so fascinating to me is that our beloved designer extraordinaire Camilo so captured the purity of the original .And than made it sexier!
Thats page 16
Than I get to page 47 and there are renderings of modern high style roadsters done by Camilo! Our boy is a living legend!And is my friend!
How cool is that!?
Cam ,you rock!
Grab the Nov. issue!

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Just got it today and it is a great issue for sure . I couldn't put it down. Great pictures.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Yes, I just got it opened. The Cobra pictures are great though, especially the front cover. The GT40 is awesome too.

One of the comments was that your eyes are drawn to the mid-section. How true, even of our version. Me, I like the hips and butt :)

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Camilo nailed the design!

FordGTOC

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 9, 2010
Flagstaff, AZ
Thanks for the heads up on this issue. R & T has really improved their iPad version and the photos in this issue are stunning on the iPad. I decided to subscribe again based on this issue.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Just out interest read this.They almost didn't build it!
http://autos.yahoo.com/news/ford-gt-almost-never-built-134753938.html

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
That article has wrong dates mentioned several times. I question as to whether the article really has any merit.

"Ford elected to make the GT40 concept look as close to the original as they could. When the car first rolled onto the stage in 2008, you couldn’t tell the old from the new at first glance."

“When the yellow and black Ford GT40 Concept showed up as a concept at 2008 NAIAS,” explained Karl, “we thought they would never make it. They have been talking about one for years. And there was the GT90, but that didn’t do the GT40 justice."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't know about the rest of you, but my 2 cars were made in 2004, so I find it hard to believe that the yellow concept GT40 showed up in 2008, some 4 years later.

Last edited:

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
2008? Author means 2003 no doubt.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I just read that issue last night. Very cool. "Special Design Issue" "Beautiful Cars And Why We Love Them" Mark West says:

"The Doors. What American car had doors like this? Even though [the roof cut-in] was completely functional, it still made the car unique from a design standpoint."

"Muscles. The fenders create 'shoulders' that look really powerful. It's just wonderful."

"Height. Anything this low is going to be cool."

"Rear Tires. Looks like they're stuffed into the fenders. Brilliant."

"Front Fender Line" Sends your eye to the car's midsection, where all the action happens."

"Rear Fender Line. There's a volume here that tells you something's going on. It looks bulbous, muscular. A hint to the massive 427-cubic-inch V-8 in the back."

"The Whole Thing. If you look at the overall silhouette of the car, you have kind of an aerodynamic shape. And then, when you truncate the rear, your eye tells you this car is headed forward - fast. We say the car is 'directional' because you know where it's going. Ever seen a car with a droopy rear end, like a Beetle? That doesn't look fast, does it?"

Ed

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
I spent last weekend putting 900+ miles on my ERA Cobra at the Houston Fall Rally - had a blast. Then I get home and staring at me from the post box is a black Cobra, complete with grille splitter (just like mine) on the cover of R&T. I figured this was God telling me not to sell my 427, so I immediately withdrew it from sale. Even Roz told me "I think you should keep the Cobra" Wow, what a women!

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
This has to be one of the most retarded articles on the GT40 of all time. They show a picture of the JWA 1076 1969 LeMans 3rd place car and then proceed to talk about Shelby and 427s? I would have expected better from a "design expert" and from Ford GT owners. Silly!

This is breaking it down? Really

"That air vent is just like the Mustang's."

I'm certain Eric Broadley came up with side vents before the Mustang was ever conceived. Jimini Cricket what a stupid article.

A design expert breaks it down.

ROA110113go_purty3-sm.jpg

Rear Fender Line

"There's a volume here that tells you something's going on. It looks bulbous, muscular, a hint to the massive 427-cubic-inch V-8 in the back."

Muscles

"The fenders create 'shoulders' that look really powerful. It's just wonderful."

Height

"Anything this low is going to be cool."

Side Vent

"That air vent is just like the Mustang's."

Rear Tires

"Looks like they're stuffed into the fenders. Brilliant."

Last edited:

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I think the quotes were all taken out of context. The side vent he is referring to are the ones on the 1962 Mustang I concept car.

Ed