No longer think FGT taillights are off the charts expensive

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
There is an interesting set of videos on edmonds about body repair costs and toughness of the aluminum body panels on the new F150. One of the interesting items in that vid was the cost of the taillight. $850 for the led taillight. Same as our in that its not serviceable but only replaceable as a unit. Guess FGT parts are not nearly as stupid priced as I thought.....Or the new one are equally so.

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
hate to be the bearer or bad news but our GT tail lamps tripled in price the beginning of the year. $850.00 is a deal right about now for the F150 units.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I reuse mine.

Ed

hate to be the bearer or bad news but our GT tail lamps tripled in price the beginning of the year. $850.00 is a deal right about now for the F150 units.

So what do they cost now?

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
So what do they cost now?
Ford's new SRP is now $2443.00 ea.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
On the F150: They repaired the panel instead of replacing it, so replacement cost on the aluminum body panel must be way more than the repairs.

It did take a pretty good whack though. I expected a lot more damage.

I checked with my friendly local Ford parts guy, and that's (horribly) correct - $ 2443 each. However, the few remaining headlights are still ONLY a bit more than $3K each - get em while you can afford it! And those eminently smashable tail lights for the new F150 at $850 each.

Imagine what parts for the even more limited production "new GT" are going to cost in a few years after they're built .... :eek :eek :eek

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I checked with my friendly local Ford parts guy, and that's (horribly) correct - $ 2443 each. However, the few remaining headlights are still ONLY a bit more than $3K each - get em while you can afford it! And those eminently smashable tail lights for the new F150 at $850 each.

Imagine what parts for the even more limited production "new GT" are going to cost in a few years after they're built .... :eek :eek :eek

Must be the razor blade marketing plan. Give the cars away and make it up on the part sales.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Good grief, this is just rigodamndiculous.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Jeeeezus! Ka-ching! Anyone here want to form a partnership to reproduce these things?

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
and then they wonder why the scammers reproduce parts in China and call them OEM. been going on for far too long. it's only a matter of time before people realize the prices of these things and have them re-popped over seas.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I would think you could repop them here in the good ole' US of A for a fraction of that price.

What I don't know is what kind of licensing protection is in place for a light enclosure of a car that has been out of production for almost 10 years. Maybe a subtle change would make I possible?

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
personally what I have found with people who have high end cars want parts that are exact including the manufacturers logo. I agree you could probably make them a whole cheaper even here int he states but would owners really want something that is even slightly different as these cars continue to go up in value? jmo

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I understand that, but $2300 for what can be considered a consumable (piece of plastic) is nuts, or worse, insulting.

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
<sarcasm on>

Welcome to the World of Supercars where Owners of Porsche, Ferrari and Lamborghini are feeling at home for a very long time.

<sarcasm off>

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Yes, I think they would. Or at least I would.

Same reason I have no problem with a Mann filter, Borg Warner oil pressure switch etc.

Actually offshore made repops of other tail lights are complete right down to the ford part numbers molded in. I replaced all the lamp housings on my old F250 when I did the refurbish last year. I was only going to replace the bed light because it had yellowed. But all of them were so cheap that new one looked much better. The tail lamps were UNDER $10 and are exact duplicates in every detail that I could see. Even the Ford logos and I bought them through legitimate parts retailer, not gray market. Ford must not be charging a lot for licencing in this market.

I do think a repro market is emerging for these. But I have no idea the tooling costs to determine the volume required vs pricing.

jbyrnes

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 13, 2006
Louisville CO
Ultimately, if not already, the parts pricing is going to hurt values as people shy away from buying in. "Lets see, it's going to cost me over $10k to replace that fogged headlight, torn drivers seat, and cracked plastic vent on the clamshell, and you're asking how much for the car?"

usmcfred

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 26, 2006
Massachusetts
Same reason I have no problem with a Mann filter, Borg Warner oil pressure switch etc.

Can someone advise the Borg Warner part # for the oil pressure switch? Mine failed for the second time just before I put the car away for the winter.

Thanks ...

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # PS442
WELLS Part # 1S9560
MOTORCRAFT Part # SW6357

I have only used the first one (Standard is BW) but the other two were listed also and photos look identical so figured I would paste that info too.

Its a pretty standard sending unit used on many vehicles. Easy to come by and most local parts houses carry it in stock. The Motorcraft one is not manufactured by Ford, it carried a BW or TRW part number but I forget which, its been a couple years since I replaced it.

Last edited:

usmcfred

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 26, 2006
Massachusetts
STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # PS442
WELLS Part # 1S9560
MOTORCRAFT Part # SW6357

I have only used the first one (Standard is BW) but the other two were listed also and photos look identical so figured I would paste that info too.

Its a pretty standard sending unit used on many vehicles. Easy to come by and most local parts houses carry it in stock. The Motorcraft one is not manufactured by Ford, it carried a BW or TRW part number but I forget which, its been a couple years since I replaced it.

Thanks ...