Nissan GT-R - who's gonna buy one?

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
The Forum has posted questions as to the viability of the Corvette ZR-1
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9041

I was just wondering what the thoughts were on the new Nissan GT-R. One was in town yesterday while undergoing testing (with the requisite black tape over the insignia's :tongue. ) I took a walk around it and found the styling ALMOST as poor as the Jaguar XK. It was fat and looked just like every other econo-box. The lines don't flow...but they sure have the slab side's down.

Is this just an 'up-market' vehicle for the NOPI crowd?

Thoughts??

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
You nailed it 'far as I'm concerned.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Although I have nothing against Japanese cars, they haven't made a decent looking one since the 240Z.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
It's a world full of stat racers, so it will sell regardless, but it's supposedly a very good car to drive.

That said, there are tons of very good cars to drive these days and when you're dealing with minute performance differences beyond what average drivers can handle, looks are a big factor. This is not a beautiful car.

fordcapri

GT Owner
Sep 21, 2006
I didn't think the car looked too bad, but then again, I haven't seen the car in the flesh yet, as we are not likely to receive the car in the UK until Spring 2009. The reports I have seen on the car are that it is quite highly technical and can do everything a Porsche 911 Turbo can do, but is half the price.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I didn't think the car looked too bad, but then again, I haven't seen the car in the flesh yet, as we are not likely to receive the car in the UK until Spring 2009. The reports I have seen on the car are that it is quite highly technical and can do everything a Porsche 911 Turbo can do, but is half the price.

I was equally "blah" to the car in person. I have issues with that front end.

09.nissan.gtr.10.500.jpg

eclipseralliart05.jpg

I also have issues with the rear and the greenhouse, which I guess pretty much means I have issues with the whole thing. :lol: The thing is, it's just off by degrees. I like the real heavy carved look of the car, but certain lines and elements are just bad.

css 290

GT Owner
Sep 6, 2006
Mobile, Alabama
Japanese Styrring

The Japanese have some strange styling features, which IMO render this car decidely unattractive (the new Lexus and Toyota supercars (?!) share the same affliction.) UGHH. If this engine and driveline package was clothed in an organic, slippery shape which was pleasing to the eye, it would be a serious contender to the memory and perhaps have the success of the 240Z. NOt going to happen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
Although I have nothing against Japanese cars, they haven't made a decent looking one since the 240Z.

i agree.

the 240Z is the one and only asian car i have ever bought. i bought one 20 years ago and modded the crap out of it. i still own it.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
i agree.

the 240Z is the one and only asian car i have ever bought. i bought one 20 years ago and modded the crap out of it. i still own it.

Did you go the Scarab route, Freddy?

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
i agree.

The car I owned the LONGEST of any car in my entire life was a 1995 240sx. After that, I was not big on any of the following stuff....

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Although I have no interest in owning Asian Autos, I visited a local dealer to get some info and the sh!t got so deep I left my card and said when it arrives, call me if you want to test it"

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
I don't purchase japanese cars, period!

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida

It should be 1/2 the price since it is only 1/2 as attractive as the Porsche (ok, maybe a 1/3). Seriously, the car is a great technological achievement but has zero aesthetic appeal.

kjslider

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 1, 2006
socal
I'll most likely buy one and race it despite it being fugly.

It should prove pretty easy to drive fast and I like things "easy".

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
Did you go the Scarab route, Freddy?

no, i customized it my way. all the parts are 280 ZX and race parts. about the only original parts left on the car are the shell. i put fiberglass fender flares on it front and rear to clear the BIGGER than stock wheels and tires which clear the BIGGER than stock race brakes. the motor, trans and rear end are all 280 ZX. triple mikuni side draft carbs with a intercooled blow thru turbo system runnin 10 psi of boost. with its full roll cage and fuel cell it only weighs 2400 lbs and dyno'd 250 rwhp and 300 rwtq. it was and still is one of the fastest road racing 240-Z's in the state of Arizona. i got the paint scheme from a Ferrari Daytona that graced the cover of a road & track magazine back in the 80's. i even used ferrari paint codes. since i bought my viper 7 years ago the car has sat in one spot in my airplane hangar and has never been started or moved again. it now sits under alot of dust, lol. someday, i will probably end up just giving it away :lol but if i do ever decide to restore it i will put an all aluminum small block chevy in it with 500 hp and a manual trans. it will be like a giant 250 cc shifter cart with that setup :cheers

240-Z.jpg

Last edited:

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Great looking car :cheers

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
...but if i do ever decide to restore it i will put an all aluminum small block chevy in it with 500 hp and a manual trans. it will be like a giant 250 cc shifter cart with that setup :cheers

I be thinkin' a 240 would be a R-E-A-L sleeper with the new LS7 and a complete ZO6 drivetrain in it (right down to the transaxle)!!!!!! 'Coarse, one would HAVE to say to one's self B4hand, "Hey, yo-yo. You DO realize this is gunna cost ya more than if ya just buy a used ZO6 and play with THAT, don't ya?"

But, man! What a riot that thing would be! :lol

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
I agree that the early 240-280 Zs were the most desirable and beautiful of all Japanese cars. I had a 82, and they were still pretty good, but it had gotten a little fat like the 71 Mustang did in comparison to the 69-70 ones.

I can't get over why Nissan didn't resurrect the old classic look of the original Z for this car. If you think the GTR looks bad now, it will not age well at all. This is a shame as from all accounts, this car is very close to a 911 GT2 in performance at a third of the price.

Still, here in the US, every one will be sold before it gets to the dealer.

nthfinity

Apr 18, 2006
South East MI
i agree.

A good friend of mine still has his modded out Datsun Z

harry240dhz6.jpg

:)

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
I be thinkin' a 240 would be a R-E-A-L sleeper with the new LS7 and a complete ZO6 drivetrain in it (right down to the transaxle)!!!!!! 'Coarse, one would HAVE to say to one's self B4hand, "Hey, yo-yo. You DO realize this is gunna cost ya more than if ya just buy a used ZO6 and play with THAT, don't ya?"

But, man! What a riot that thing would be! :lol

yep, that would make for one sic Z-car thats for sure! it would lay some serious rubber down on the pavement. i bet it would roast em all the way thru the top of 3rd gear no problemo....... exiting corners on pavement would be like a sprint car on dirt all crossed up and sideways :biggrin

with a 90" wheelbase, 4 wheel drifts on pavement at speeds up to 100 mph would definately satisfy the need for speed :thumbsup

Last edited: