Nice Drive

Gregg Thurman

GT Owner
Nov 3, 2007
Last Sunday I started a drive south from Spokane, WA through Portland to the Oregon coast just above Crescent City, CA, thence south along PCH 1 to San Diego. Absolutely marvelous drive. Only draw back was missing a "Road Closed Ahead" sign in Monterey. Found where the road was closed 60 miles further south in Big Sur (fires)

After numerous offers to trade their squads for the GT the CHP made me turn around. Not sure if you can call that a draw back because I got to drive that stretch twice in about 5 hours (made some stops along the way).

I made the mistake of trying to pick up some time by foregoing the Malibu route in favor of US101/I-405 south to I-5.

Every third car on that stretch should be summarily confiscated, and the drivers forced to take the bus. What a miserable road that was. I figure I lost another 1 1/2 hours.

Anyway, I'm in San Bernardino heading out tomorrow morning, and looking for an interesting route. It can't be too interesting because I want to get off the highways before the July 4th weekend starts.

Ideas?

PS, on the Avenue of the Giants just north of Crescent City a woman flashed her breasts at me as the vehicle she was in passed me (on the left). I love this car.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
on the Avenue of the Giants just north of Crescent City a woman flashed her breasts at me as the vehicle she was in passed me (on the left). I love this car.

pics?:biggrin

Sounds like a great ride:thumbsup:cheers:thumbsup

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Every third car on that stretch should be summarily confiscated, and the drivers forced to take the bus.

Ha! Take the 101 from Santa Barbara to Beverly Hills if ya wanna see the max number of "certifiable" people per mile!!! Good gallopin' krymuny! WHAT A ZOO that stretch of road is! :ack:ack:ack

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
San Bernandino means take the 15 north to 395 n and through the sierras... I've done a nice drive through there on a volvo shoot... Let me check a map and see if I can't post the link....

yeah.... so maybe straight into RENO and then decide from there......

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Ha! Take the 101 from Santa Barbara to Beverly Hills if ya wanna see the max number of "certifiable" people per mile!!! Good gallopin' krymuny! WHAT A ZOO that stretch of road is! :ack:ack:ack

Some of us to 101 from Nor CA to Santa Barbara to Malibu. The road was great much better than I5. This was on a weekday though and the traffic from Malibu to Newport Beach sucked! On the way back I took 101 also. Big mistake! All of the beach goers filled the roads. So I think the Norcal to Socal route should be 101 during the weekdays and I5 on the weekends.

Gregg Thurman

GT Owner
Nov 3, 2007
Well I ended up taking 15 north to the 90 and turned left.

If I ever have to drive that route again I'll fly. Speeds were good, but it was BORING. I mean, just how much uninhabited dirt can you look at before you say to yourself, been there, done that, got the t-shirt?

There was a short stretch going through the northwestern extreme of Arizona that was interesting, but it only lasted about 12 miles.

I'm going to be taking weekenders through the rest of the summer just to test how much I need in the way of luggage. If I can get it down to what will fit in the "trunk" (two people) I'll ask a lady friend to join me next year for a trip to Savannah, GA (our next reunion locale). That may break the monotony and make side trips more enjoyable. If I do it, it will be a 5 week trip sans freeways.

On a side note: I can't believe I've put over 8 thousand miles on the GT since the end of March. I love this car. Somehow I've got to find a way for Todd to get another one. It must have been pure agony for him to sell this thing.

Kave

GT Owner
Nov 13, 2006
:cheers

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
PS said:
At last, a woman who understands the appropriate method of expressing admiration for the FGT. Now, how do we get the word out to the rest of them?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
At last, a woman who understands the appropriate method of expressing admiration for the FGT. Now, how do we get the word out to the >REST< of them?

Be careful what you wish for.

THINK about it.................:bored

todd

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2006
so. ca.
Well I ended up taking 15 north to the 90 and turned left.

If I ever have to drive that route again I'll fly. Speeds were good, but it was BORING. I mean, just how much uninhabited dirt can you look at before you say to yourself, been there, done that, got the t-shirt?

There was a short stretch going through the northwestern extreme of Arizona that was interesting, but it only lasted about 12 miles.

I'm going to be taking weekenders through the rest of the summer just to test how much I need in the way of luggage. If I can get it down to what will fit in the "trunk" (two people) I'll ask a lady friend to join me next year for a trip to Savannah, GA (our next reunion locale). That may break the monotony and make side trips more enjoyable. If I do it, it will be a 5 week trip sans freeways.

On a side note: I can't believe I've put over 8 thousand miles on the GT since the end of March. I love this car. Somehow I've got to find a way for Todd to get another one. It must have been pure agony for him to sell this thing.

Greg I m glad you are enjoying the car. When the economy turns round I will get another