Newbie just took the plunge

andymlow

GT Owner
May 17, 2007
Sarasota, FL
Well, I'm now one of you. I have had some fine cars in my time including a NSX and e60 M5, but when I saw, drove and researched the GT I had to have one. My local Jag dealer in Sarasota gets exotics occasionally and he has a Blue 06 with all 4 options, 8600mi and some unknown custom (loud) exhaust.

Here are my thought:

Relatively high miles, but if I am keeping it 10 yrs at about 5-6k per year, 8k means little in the end. The car is well built and this is not high in terms of the mechanicals. The warranty runs until 2/09.

There are some definite signs of use like light stone chips and some minor chips out of the front splitter.

The exhaust looks like a "bundle of snakes" header that goes into a SS can with Ford embossed on it and that runs in to SS pipes that exit the rear with tips that have a Borla look. Borla's site makes no mention of parts for the GT. The exhaust is relatively docile at idle and steady state cruise, but it can be so loud as to be almost painful at full bore with the windows down.

So...my dilemma:

Take the local car (which means an easy and quick transaction and a known quantity) with the exhaust that might be too loud and with some minor wear and tear and mileage...VS.

a blue 05 with 1400miles all 4 options for 10k more thru a broker (means I might have to sell my Vette privately and lose some tax benefit on the trade as well.

Any thought or words of wisdom?

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
DECISIONS ....DECISIONS ....
Either way you end up with a FGT .:biggrin

paulo5656

GT Owner
Feb 18, 2006
Well, I'm now one of you. I have had some fine cars in my time including a NSX and e60 M5, but when I saw, drove and researched the GT I had to have one. My local Jag dealer in Sarasota gets exotics occasionally and he has a Blue 06 with all 4 options, 8600mi and some unknown custom (loud) exhaust.

Here are my thought:

Relatively high miles, but if I am keeping it 10 yrs at about 5-6k per year, 8k means little in the end. The car is well built and this is not high in terms of the mechanicals. The warranty runs until 2/09.

There are some definite signs of use like light stone chips and some minor chips out of the front splitter.

The exhaust looks like a "bundle of snakes" header that goes into a SS can with Ford embossed on it and that runs in to SS pipes that exit the rear with tips that have a Borla look. Borla's site makes no mention of parts for the GT. The exhaust is relatively docile at idle and steady state cruise, but it can be so loud as to be almost painful at full bore with the windows down.

So...my dilemma:

Take the local car (which means an easy and quick transaction and a known quantity) with the exhaust that might be too loud and with some minor wear and tear and mileage...VS.

a blue 05 with 1400miles all 4 options for 10k more thru a broker (means I might have to sell my Vette privately and lose some tax benefit on the trade as well.

Any thought or words of wisdom?

What year vette?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
The exhaust you describe is pbly Ford's off road header system. 'Around $5K to buy. It's not street legal. But, whether THAT's a pblm "legally" or not I suppose depends on where you live "Johnny Law" wise. Many here on the Forum have said it's tough to live with the noise of this system when inside the car. But, one fellow here has said he LOVES his! So, there you go.

Bear in mind too when figuring prices/values that the '06's "stickered" for $10K MORE than the '05's did in the 1st place.

Regardless of what car you end up with (either of these two or some other FGT) YOU'LL REALLY LOVE THE CAR!!!! Period. (Just be ready to spend a lot of addtional time at gas stations and restaurants answering questions ...over & over & over & over...:rofl :thumbsup)

Last edited:

andymlow

GT Owner
May 17, 2007
Sarasota, FL
the vette is an 05 vert yellow and black with every option, corsa exhaust and stereo upgrades. 7k miles

isaakgt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Wilder, Idaho
Congratulations, you made the right choice. Enjoy! :cheers

MK2_GT

GTX1 Owner
Mar 25, 2006
Pass on the exhaust car or get it and resign yourself that you will replace the exhaust if you don't like it.

I had a bad time after I tinkered with my Viper, I just hated to drive it in the end.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Bear in mind too when figuring prices/values that the '06's "stickered" for $10K MORE than the '05's did in the 1st place...

Not quite so 'Pockets. There was a $10K price increase midway through the '05 model year. I don't know the exact VIN changeover, but later '05s were priced the same as the '06 cars.

Andy-

I personally would go for the un-modded low mileage '05 car. I would suspect that a headered car would likely be flogged more than the stock car...for no other reason than the previous owner wanting to hear the exhaust he paid for.

There is really no difference between the '05 and '06 cars.

andymlow

GT Owner
May 17, 2007
Sarasota, FL
You guys are awesome. You know, because of this forum I want the car even more. The NSX community was a lot like this only larger. It's like having a hundred "car guy" friends over to my garage daily.

My thought after sleeping on it... the exhaust car is not legal now. I bet the cats would cost a ton to replace. Price drop to cover potential replacement or try to get the other car.

Can anyone show me what the cats look like?

Andy

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Not quite so 'Pockets. There was a $10K price increase midway through the '05 model year. I don't know the exact VIN changeover, but later '05s were priced the same as the '06 cars.

'Kinda like "Beemer" and "Bimmer", huh? :lol

(That's an "inside" joke, Andy.)

andymlow

GT Owner
May 17, 2007
Sarasota, FL
Empty Pockets is correct that the exhaust is the Ford racing one without cats. Can the dealer even legally sell this car to me? I think it might violate both Florida and Federal laws. I'm thinking that if he can lower the price to cover the potential cost of replacing the cats it might be a good deal. Then to lower the noise level I would keep the headers, but add some form of muffler like a Borla after the headers. He says if I don't take the car it is going to another broker in Calif. (the car won't come close to passing emission tests but at least for now Florida doesn't require them).

I have talked to another broker in the meantime who has a line on a late 2005 with 1400 miles for about 10k more.

Decisions, decisions. I will be on the phone alot today.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
'Kinda like "Beemer" and "Bimmer", huh? :lol

(That's an "inside" joke, Andy.)

Bimmer damn it!!!!

You do know which button to push don't you. :lol

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
He says if I don't take the car it is going to another broker in Calif. (the car won't come close to passing emission tests but at least for now Florida doesn't require them).

I have talked to another broker in the meantime who has a line on a late 2005 with 1400 miles for about 10k more.

Probably for less money otherwise it would be gone.

Have you looked at ebay?

At the level of the car, 10K more for 1400 miles versus 8600 miles may just be normal depreciation.

I think I would take the lower mile car. Like FlorIdaho Chris said, probably less hard use on the lower mile one.

Make sure you also look at the in service date for length of warranty. There are still 05s and 06 with low miles on MSO.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Empty Pockets is correct that the exhaust is the Ford racing one without cats. Can the dealer even legally sell this car to me? I think it might violate both Florida and Federal laws. I'm thinking that if he can lower the price to cover the potential cost of replacing the cats it might be a good deal. Then to lower the noise level I would keep the headers, but add some form of muffler like a Borla after the headers. He says if I don't take the car it is going to another broker in Calif. (the car won't come close to passing emission tests but at least for now Florida doesn't require them).

Ah, "the chase"...a most enjoyable process. Good luck with your hunt. Please keep us posted. :thumbsup

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Bimmer damn it!!!!

You do know which button to push don't you. :lol

:biggrin Yup!:biggrin :thumbsup

You no "nit-a-pick-a" wid ME, I'm-a no "nit-a-pick-a" wid YOU! :rofl :rofl :rofl

Last edited:

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Replacing the OEM exhaust* will cost a fortune. I'd pass on that car for sure.

* Exhaust manifolds with heat shields, cats, O2 sensors, muffler and misc. hardware.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Why someone would remove all that stuff and not keep it is beyond me.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Why someone would remove all that stuff and not keep it is beyond me.

The 4mer owner pbly DID ... and just didn't give it up with the car.

It'll pbly be headed for ebay sometime. (Owner didn't wanna spend the time reinstalling it B4 he sold the car. :shrug)

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
The 4mer owner pbly DID ... and just didn't give it up with the car.

It'll pbly be headed for ebay sometime. (Owner didn't wanna spend the time reinstalling it B4 he sold the car. :shrug)
Good point. I just saw a r/s takeoff exhaust manifold on ebay for ~$500.

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Good luck, I just went through this process and ended up with a stock 05 with 1100 miles on it. I would spend the extra ten K and get the stock one. Then you can mod it however you might like or leave it stock. I would agree that anyone who put the Ford full race headers and exhaust on probably heard the car at "full song" more than a few times. Do the rear tires have much tread on them? Probably on at least second set with those miles on it. Will they let you talk to previous owner? Maybe that would ease your mind on how it was driven.

Again, best of luck. You will love this car.

Rick