New pickup trucks

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I’ve started looking for a new pickup truck. Leaning towards the F150 with 3.0 diesel. Maybe I’ll wait to see the F150 hybrid.

But I’m going around and looking at the other offerings, and it seems to me that they are getting blockier and uglier on the front ends. Big blingy walls of crenellated chrome. Ugly headlights. I’m not that enthused about the new F-series either.

Is it just me, or does anyone else think the manufacturers are trying to make their truck’s face more obnoxious than the next guy?

Reactions: Empty Pockets

Blue Moose

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Chandler,Arizona.
Screenshot_20200803-122853_Samsung Internet.jpg
Someone has to try really hard to make a truck look this bad.

Ford F-series, probably the most developed and tested vehicles ever. Features, drive trains, performance, looks, = the best.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
View attachment 60803

Ford F-150, probably the most developed and tested vehicles ever. Features, drive trains, performance, looks, = the best.
Nice one. That is really brutal looking.

QSS

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Speaking of GM..... I would just like to think that some heads are being lopped off for how far they missed an opportunity with the Blazer. (Its almost scarier to believe that heads AREN'T rolling - which is unfortunately more likely the case.)

Someday in the not too distant future there needs to be a case study of the way that Ford analyzed and assessed the market before getting to work on the bronco.... and what GM did with the Blazer. One is brilliant, but perhaps even more brilliant in the execution, and the other one is just plain insanely stupid. It's not difficult to predict that the Bronco is going to be a HUGE winner in the market... and in doing so it will shoulder even more image boosting for Ford. The Blazer in contrast.... hold on a second, YAWN!, is another half-assed me-too in a saturated SUV market. The contrast is just amazing. Hat's off to Ford!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I’ve started looking for a new pickup truck. Leaning towards the F150 with 3.0 diesel. Maybe I’ll wait to see the F150 hybrid.

But I’m going around and looking at the other offerings, and it seems to me that they are getting blockier and uglier on the front ends. Big blingy walls of crenellated chrome. Ugly headlights. I’m not that enthused about the new F-series either.

Is it just me, or does anyone else think the manufacturers are trying to make their truck’s face more obnoxious than the next guy?

I am a huge Truck guy. My buddy and I were just having this exact same discussion about a month ago.

I think that the design decision-makers believe we want trucks that look like freight train locomotives.

I only buy Ford, but GMC had the best looking full-size truck for a few years running and then they FUBARRED it with the Locomotivization of the front, much like the Chevy pictured above.

Reactions: Empty Pockets

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
View attachment 60803

When I see it I think of this!Griswold.jpg

Gary

GT Owner
May 11, 2006
Festus, Missouri
Speaking of GM..... I would just like to think that some heads are being lopped off for how far they missed an opportunity with the Blazer. (Its almost scarier to believe that heads AREN'T rolling - which is unfortunately more likely the case.)

Someday in the not too distant future there needs to be a case study of the way that Ford analyzed and assessed the market before getting to work on the bronco.... and what GM did with the Blazer. One is brilliant, but perhaps even more brilliant in the execution, and the other one is just plain insanely stupid. It's not difficult to predict that the Bronco is going to be a HUGE winner in the market... and in doing so it will shoulder even more image boosting for Ford. The Blazer in contrast.... hold on a second, YAWN!, is another half-assed me-too in a saturated SUV market. The contrast is just amazing. Hat's off to Ford!
The real mistake was killing the Hummer.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
To answer the original question, if you're looking for a diesel Ram/Dodge now have a 6 cyl diesel in the 1500 series that looks like a 90-th percentile coverage for the big diesel in the 2500/3500s...

dreimer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 8, 2018
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
The Wall St Journal had an article on the size of pickups this past Saturday (Gear & Gadgets/Dan Neil - "Pickup Trucks are Getting Huge. Got a problem with that?").

Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
The Wall St Journal had an article on the size of pickups this past Saturday (Gear & Gadgets/Dan Neil - "Pickup Trucks are Getting Huge. Got a problem with that?").
The Wall St Journal should have said "Pickup Trucks are Getting F'n ugly. Got a problem with that?"

QSS

Reactions: dreimer

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Trucks have also gotten EXPENSIVE.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Which is why I will get my 04 ram 1500 which has always been parked in the sun repainted. Only 100k miles and runs great and the best thing is it's paid for

BAT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2012
Central Mitten
The uglier the better!

Raptor: 1
Deer: 0

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Ouch! Hope you guys were okay?
Man, you and AJB... no need for a deer rifle when you live in MI? :p

BAT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2012
Central Mitten
Ouch! Hope you guys were okay?
Man, you and AJB... no need for a deer rifle when you live in MI? :p

Happened so fast at 85 mph, didn't even interrupt my cruise control! haha

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
Happened so fast at 85 mph, didn't even interrupt my cruise control! haha

I was thinking that deer would be nice and tenderized after you hit it, but at that speed it was already sausage!

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California

Why I keep my fleet well maintained.
Even still using an 87 with the 6.9 diesel. Nothing hauls a load of materials or equipment like a Ford!

Anthony

GT Owner
Dec 28, 2011
Arlington, Va
Pete, I have a Raptor since '13 and I've loved the truck in all aspects. Planning to upgrade with the same.

Anyone know when the '21 Raptor will be released?

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL

Last edited:
Reactions: GTMD

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
I, too, have a 2009 Titan LE and it's been a solid workhorse for us. Only complaint I've had is that several of the plastic interior parts (overhead consoles and visors) have failed due to a probable combination of improper installation, heat, fatigue and likely poor design. Otherwise it's been a great truck for us.