New Owners: Insure Axle Bolt Upgrade has been Performed!

Tiago

GT Owner
Apr 9, 2019
Houston, TX
Verified mine has already been done over the weekend!

Rickmustang

Feb 19, 2019
Austin, Texas
Dealer said "no reported warranty repairs on VIN provided". I have asked them for the Oasis report. However, evidence suggests this has been performed, but sure would like to know for sure....Thanks.

VetteFish

Sep 27, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Hence the reason I brought my GT to Kendall and Ryan for maintenance and upgrades. Thanks for saving my a$$! Above and beyond.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Rick, if you want to know for sure, remove the 6 outer flange bolts and take a look inside. If you have 2 Allen bolts securing the flange to the transaxle, then u need to do the update. If you have hex-head bolts recessed into a spacer, then the update has been performed.

Frankly, I wouldn't have a big problem to re-use the same outer 6 bolts (Torx) to re-assemble. As I mentioned in an earlier post, Ford's first attempt at a fix with an updated and hardened spacer did not include the outer bolts - and you presumable were to use the originals. The only proper way to use a TTY fastener is to use a torque to angle process, yet this is not a procedure that is described in the service manual, hence it is really suspect in the first place if the bolt has been put under tension as intended. But, I digress. I wouldn't hesitate to re-use the bolts on my personal car but probably wouldn't on a customer's car if that makes any sense.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Bringing this thread to the forefront - once again. If you have a GT, make sure the axle bolts have been done!! (Another) case in point....

Last weekend we serviced a 2006 GT. The owner had told us that he really enjoyed driving the car at 120mph for sustained periods of time - presumably out in the sticks of Nevada and Utah. Long story short. We always will look for evidence that the axle bolt upgrade had been done and there was no such evidence on this car. Dis-assembling the drivers side coupler, we found one bolt head already off and the other head was at a 10-degree angle, ready to break off. YEOWWW! But, the passenger side was worse. BOTH bolt heads were broken off and lying inside the enclosed coupler. (That and a large amount of fluid.) Either half-shaft would have pulled out of the transaxle with the slightest provocation. Fortunately, the suspension really needs to flex in order to pull the halfshafts out and I believe in almost every scenario where this has happened it has been going in or out of a driveway at a very low speed.

But, imagine this owners scenario. Imagine where he is at 120mph+ and goes over a rise so fast that the suspension fully droops from being almost completely unloaded. I just cannot imagine the catastrophe that would occur if a halfshaft pulled out and started flopping around at wheel speed. At a minimum, the frame of the car would be destroyed but it would likely also result in a very bad accident.

No GT from the factory is immune to this potential failure. Make sure the upgrade has been done!!!!

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Do I understand right that the wheel and axle can slide out, potentially all the way and free from the car? If so: o_O😫🤬😭

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Do I understand right that the wheel and axle can slide out, potentially all the way and free from the car?

No. The rear wheel would stay fixed in place with the half shaft dutifully attached to it. However, if the other end of the half shaft pulls out of the transaxle, now the half shaft would be spinning wildly - connected at the wheel side but with the other side free and flopping around.

Reactions: extrap

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
No, the inboard CV joint slides off the splined output shaft of the transmission. The wheel, and axle are still attached to the car, however the axle will still be spinning at wheel speed (what ever that might be)

Do I understand right that the wheel and axle can slide out, potentially all the way and free from the car? If so: o_O😫🤬😭

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
So the rear wheel might lock up?

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Only if somehow the axle whipped, and bound somehow, which did not happen to me. When mine fell off, it was at 50-60 mph, the axe dropped and rotated harmlessly. After, it happened, I actually reached in and reattached it to the transaxle output shaft so it no longer was hanging (note the botls that keep it from sliding off again, were broken). Then onto the ramp truck it went. Circa 2007? I cant remember, but it was a long time ago. There are countless pages on this topic, and photos of how the "bolts" hold on the CV joint cup to the output shaft.

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
Question
Humming along at the speed limit would one get a quick “heads up” and feel something before disaster strikes?
For instance ,...like when one is about to throw a wheel on a Mustang bc they didn’t torque down properly on the lugnut.....you feel it.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Nope. No forewarning. After the bolts break, the spline starts to slide out from the transaxle until it gets to the edge of the spline and then falls out and starts flopping around. You might get a slight wheel-speed vibration just before it falls out, but I don’t think you would notice it fast enough.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The good news is that the length of the halfshaft pretty much prevents it from being pulled out when the suspension is level. This is why most cases occur when a GT is either going in or out of a driveway and the rear suspension is articulating.

Tomcat

GT Owner
I followed-up on this after reading this warning (again). My bolts are silver and the paint lines up so I was concerned. I found the attached in my paperwork...should I be good to go?

Transaxle bolts.JPG

Attachments

• Transaxle bolts.JPG
    Transaxle bolts.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 15

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
I think 2007 was too early for the second, correct, Ford fix. Others will chime in to identify the clues as to whether you have the first (incorrect) fix or the proper second.

Tomcat

GT Owner
I think 2007 was too early for the second, correct, Ford fix. Others will chime in to identify the clues as to whether you have the first (incorrect) fix or the proper second.
Roger, I hope other's can clarify for me...Thanks! (Dec '07 work order)

Tomcat

GT Owner
Might any of the experts be able to look at my paperwork above and determine if I have any reason to be concerned about my axle bolts? Thanks!l.p.

69b302

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2021
Upstate NY
Here is a link to a long thread of the axle bolt replacement program. The first replacement bolt kits, from Ford, became available 12/2007. I would assume you do not have the final revision, since your paperwork also has the 12/2007 date.

Tomcat

GT Owner
Thanks all! (I read all 12 pages of the CSP-transaxle bolts)
For those who lived through this, it looks like the FINAL SOLUTION Ford fix was part #4G7Z-4B490-A
On my paperwork above I do not see that # called out? Does anyone know if this might be available from Ford?
So it looks like I may/should have this redone.
1) Anybody know of a good Ford Dealership within (let's say) 100 miles of Pensacola, Florida that could handle this? Treadwell Ford (Mobile AL) was recommended back in the day.
2) Is it "warranty" work? 0$s (remember that it was done once in Dec 2007 by a Ford Dealership in Phoenix, Az)
3) Has anyone successfully gotten reimbursed for this work being done by an independent shop?
4) If I MUST do it/pay for it myself...AccuFab or Ford kit?

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
2. Warranty has long expired. It was a Technical Service Bulletin not a recall.
3. Sorry, it's your nickel.
4. Is the Ford kit still available? Accufab may be your only choice.