New Member, Viper GTS vs Ford GT driving experiences

jvmax

GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 13, 2008
Hi Everyone,

I currently own a 1996 Viper GTS (1 of 7 cars in my current collection) and was wondering how the Ford GT compares. I know the Ford GT is much faster, but how is the ride and handling? Also, the Viper GTS is very low in the front and has to be carefully driven into driveways, is this the same with the GT?

I will definitely own a Ford GT in the near future as I believe they are the ultimate Domestic supercar, and will only go up in value. I am kicking myself for buying a Ferrari 360 last year instead of the Ford GT. As you can see I no longer own the 360 as it had compression issues and needed a costly rebuild. I guess I had to get the Ferrari Bug out of my system...

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
I took the local viper chapter president's wife on a ride. She is pressing him to upgrade.

The GT is smoother and quieter than you would expect. From what my viper friends tell me I have a little more ground clearance, but I always take a driveway diagonally. I gave another viper club member a ride last weekend and after a blast of acceleration I told him what speed we had attained. He could not believe the smooth delivery of speed. He also guessed our speed was about 30% less than we were actually traveling.

He also commented about how flat the car corners. I have never been in a viper. I assumed that it could corner as well, but I guess with that monster motor up front it affects handling.

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
Had a lot of time on the street and track with a 96 GTS coupe.

I have to say it is one of my favorite cars of all time. But 9-10 years of development adds so much to the GT. They would make good stable mates:biggrin

The GT rides better, handles better, quieter, more comfortable, feels more solid and feels better at speed, turns in better, brakes better. I would say improve the GTS in every area by 30%-80% and you can imagine the difference. It gets about the same attention + your GTS got when it was new.

A buck 50 in the GT has less drama than 90 in a GTS. Dead solid.

I would also say it rides better is faster and quieter than the Stradle. Never driven a straight 360. Totally different cars.

The only weakness the GT has is trunk space IMO.

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
Forgot one. The driveway clearance on a stock GT is a world of improvement over the GTS on my driveway, never have to think about it. I lowered it about 1" and it is still better than the GTS.

There are others here that compare better than I, that currently have both cars.

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
There is no comparison...My viper got 150 miles on it last year..the GT got 3000 or so.

No clearance issues..the viper at stock ride height scrapes my driveway just a little..the GT never touches. There really is no way to truley compare the cars..they are what they are but the best way I can put it.

Going from my cobra replica to the viper was like going from a go cart to a luxury car..

you get the same feeling going from the viper to the GT

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
A Viper convertible and a GT, you have it all.

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
I absolutely LOVE my GEN II GTS Vipers... I currently have 4 of them...

But 427Aggie nailed it in his comparison of a go cart and a luxury car...

There is no comparison..

The GT is SO solid at speed it can get you in trouble.
It definitely rides better, brakes better, as my 6 year old says.. it is smooooth...

Like I said I love my Vipers, but given the choice of only one car, the GT would win hands down...

BradleyP

GT Owner
May 5, 2007
I agree with 427Aggie. I currently own a 96 GTS & 06 Heritage. I thought the GTS was car, until I purchased my FGT. When the day is nice for a drive I always take out the FGT and the Viper sits alone in the garage with the Vette. On many drive outtings with my cars on the road at the same time no-one looks or takes pictures of any cars except the Ford GT. My teenage son complains it's no fun driving the Viper when he's following me in the GT because nobody looks at him and only pays attention to dear old dad in the best car ever made!

Don't get me wrong, I really do like the 96 Viper. But from my personal experience owning both cars at the same time, the GTS is just not in the same league or nowhere close to the GT.

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
Had a lot of time on the street and track with a 96 GTS coupe.

I have to say it is one of my favorite cars of all time. But 9-10 years of development adds so much to the GT. They would make good stable mates:biggrin

The GT rides better, handles better, quieter, more comfortable, feels more solid and feels better at speed, turns in better, brakes better. I would say improve the GTS in every area by 30%-80% and you can imagine the difference. It gets about the same attention + your GTS got when it was new.

A buck 50 in the GT has less drama than 90 in a GTS. Dead solid.

I would also say it rides better is faster and quieter than the Stradle. Never driven a straight 360. Totally different cars.

The only weakness the GT has is trunk space IMO.

What trunk space? :biggrin

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
+1 i was pleasantly surprised when i got to drive the gt for the first time. i can say it is unlike anything ford has ever done before. in simple terms it feels more like a bmw or a porsche when it comes to handling, quiteness, and all around quality(although it handles better than those cars) but goes like a ford. you will not be dissapointed.

FrankBarba

Permanent Vacation
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 16, 2005
Harrisburg, PA
I love my Vipers but i drive the GT

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
I agree with 427Aggie. I currently own a 96 GTS & 06 Heritage. I thought the GTS was car, until I purchased my FGT. When the day is nice for a drive I always take out the FGT and the Viper sits alone in the garage with the Vette. On many drive outtings with my cars on the road at the same time no-one looks or takes pictures of any cars except the Ford GT. My teenage son complains it's no fun driving the Viper when he's following me in the GT because nobody looks at him and only pays attention to dear old dad in the best car ever made!

Don't get me wrong, I really do like the 96 Viper. But from my personal experience owning both cars at the same time, the GTS is just not in the same league or nowhere close to the GT.

Man that really says it all! No comparison at all, ten years of technology has a way of doing that to things!

BigsGT

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 8, 2006
Austin Texas
He also commented about how flat the car corners. I have never been in a viper. I assumed that it could corner as well, but I guess with that monster motor up front it affects handling.

Surprisingly the Viper GTS has a little better weight distribution than the GT. Viper = 51/49; GT = 48/52. However I think having a bit more weight over the rear wheels is a plus. Better cornering might also be a function of a better stock suspension system.

Having said that as another Viper GTS and FGT owner, my Viper gets very little road time now that I've got the GT, and especially so since the pulley and tune! :eek

Joe Dozzo

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2006
Canon City, CO
I have both and both are great to drive.

The GT really is a superior car, especially in braking and handling (and I have had some serious brake upgrades on my Vipers).

But around town, the Viper wins by the very slightest margin - in my opinion... There's just no beating the off idle grunt of 450+ ft-lbs of torque. A number of GT owners (including me!) had some pretty stinky clutches from 3rd gear starts. As you know - since you have a Viper - it doesn't even hiccup if one makes that mistake.

satx

Aug 25, 2005
Dana Point
Surprisingly the Viper GTS has a little better weight distribution than the GT. Viper = 51/49; GT = 48/52.

sorry but a rearward weight bias is preferrable to even 50/50.

GFORCE

GT Owner
Jan 14, 2006
I have said before i love my vipers.

But the GT is in another class I cant get out of it.So much more fun to drive.
Then put a whipple and other toys you have a great car even better.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Whats the 360 Compression issue? under warranty?