New headlights for 2005/6MY Ford GT

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Yes you can definitely replace the headlight bulb.

The OE bulb is a Philips 16530161 - it's a D1S type bulb rated at 35W - there are a variety of brands such as Osram who make these too, just search for a D1S 35W HID bulb.

The OE ballast is also a Philips part and you can replace these too.
That’s great info! Thank you for posting!!

Reactions: gitarzan

MR. 5 MPG

GT Owner
Jan 14, 2024
SoCal
Are there any bulbs available where you can increase the output...lumens. Or will that possibly overtax the rest of the HID system?

In my car, they seem barely adequate for speedy night driving.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Sir, Ford has been VERY COMMITTED to these cars. LONG after their required time frame. There just some parts that are trickier than others, and headlights are one. Do keep in mind that MANY suppliers that made these parts are long out business not surviving the tough times of ~2008.
It would be great if we had a liaison to work with on service issues.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Are there any bulbs available where you can increase the output...lumens. Or will that possibly overtax the rest of the HID system?

In my car, they seem barely adequate for speedy night driving.

exactly why I asked about upgrading this if GT101’s project comes to fruition.

Reactions: MR. 5 MPG

Redfire03

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2020
Denver, CO
Hi
Driver side headlight is out. I was told you can NOT replace the bulbs and have to replace the whole assembly. Haven’t seen anything otherwise except one post which say you can just replace the bulb but no other info. CAN you just replace the bulb or not? If not, I don’t know what to do next. The headlight assemblies are unavailable.

Thanks in advance
Chris
Can replace the bulbs and there are several good and more modern options. Just chose a quality brand.

Redfire03

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2020
Denver, CO
My lights are currently with a well known retrofitter to get a modern LED projector installed into the OEM housing.

They will have a good idea of what is needed moving forward and will make maintaining/servicing the lights an option for all of us.

Sadly we do don’t have any replacement options at the moment… but I know some are working on that.

Redfire03

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2020
Denver, CO
Pictures of my OEM lights upgraded with an LED marker/turn signal and a new NHK projector. Had the lights apart to repair a failing lens (cracks, etc.) and decided to modernize everything.

Attachments

• IMG_2490.jpeg
    IMG_2490.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 16

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I presume they recommend doing both lights at the same time?

Redfire03

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2020
Denver, CO
I presume they recommend doing both lights at the same time?
Only if you want it matched. It would be easy enough to do a more modern HID projector (instead of LED) and match the bulb temperature of for some reason you only did one side.

Just a note, they did both sides for mine - video just shows one for demonstration.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Looks like a great upgrade. You won’t have to hold a candle up to your windshield (doubling your output of light) to drive at night.

can you tell us more about the repair of the lens?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
So, do these generate more heat into the inside of the fixture? Any comments on generating the microcracks and fogging seen in fixtures that are used a lot (I.e. Night driving)?

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
Very cool. Nice option.
Thanks much for sharing.

Reactions: Redfire03
Pictures of my OEM lights upgraded with an LED marker/turn signal and a new NHK projector. Had the lights apart to repair a failing lens (cracks, etc.) and decided to modernize everything.

Looks like a great mod - but I don't see anything about cost to do it. Any info on that?

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
Looks like a great mod - but I don't see anything about cost to do it. Any info on that?
He mentions an approximate over in this thread.

Redfire03

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2020
Denver, CO
So, do these generate more heat into the inside of the fixture? Any comments on generating the microcracks and fogging seen in fixtures that are used a lot (I.e. Night driving)?
In general LEDs often produce less heat than a comparable HID system. That is why a lot of aftermarket assemblies with LEDs have additional heating elements to remove ICE/buildup from the lenses. My driver side light had developed those microcracks on the inside of the lens. My hope will be that with the LED and the internal fan, it actually helps with overall temperatures and longevity.
Looks like a great upgrade. You won’t have to hold a candle up to your windshield (doubling your output of light) to drive at night.

can you tell us more about the repair of the lens?
That is the hope! haha The lens was removed by Rich, unfortunate the cracks were to severe to repair with sanding and a re-clear that is usually a solution and we had to source a replacement.

$1000-1500 approximately - lots can play into that, but the good news is there is almost no modification needed to the OEM assemblies to retrofit the most common/modern project.

Reactions: 2112 and Chris A.

gitarzan

Jul 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
That’s great info! Thank you for posting!!
Hi,

Yes. Bulbs are replaceable. That turns out wasn't the problem. It was the Philips xenon ballast/driver that was bad. That turns out to be unavailable. BUT it is a Cadillac part from an STS, which is also unavailable at a dealer but easy to find online from other sources. The part number to look for is 16533089. They range from $60 to $150 depending on the source.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
$1000-1500 approximately - lots can play into that, but the good news is there is almost no modification needed to the OEM assemblies to retrofit the most common/modern project.

Do you know the turn around time if there are no lens repairs?

Redfire03

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2020
Denver, CO
Do you know the turn around time if there are no lens repairs?
Once they start on a set of headlights Lightwerkz has had them done for me same week. The usually book out about 4-6 weeks, will have you do a deposit and then send in the lights a few weeks later. I'm sure with some better coordination on my part the downtime could be even less.

Reactions: 2112