New headlights for 2005/6MY Ford GT

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
There are many businesses that will convert HID lamps to LED.

The challenge is separating the lens from the headlight chassis. Typically, they are baked to coax the adhesive glue to release. This is where things go wrong on older assemblies (Learned the hard way).

I get it that you aren’t wanting to go down the LED rabbit hole, especially considering the European regulations.

I would suggest that as an option, offer the assemblies with the lens not bonded to the chassis. That would enable those of us wanting to upgrade to a newer, more powerful lighting option to have the ability to hire one of the upgrade businesses to do that for us.

Last edited:

Tomcat

GT Owner
I wonder if Race Car Replica headlights from their GT could be used as a basis to fit factory 05/06 GTs?

jammer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2016
The person I talked with said they have a tool that can cleanly cut the housing to avoid the probable potential of breaking it if they try to separate the fused parts. They can reglue after they complete the required internal work. That's why I'm looking for nonworking units to experiment on.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I am interested to hear of your findings.

I had a set of Z8 assemblies ruined. They weren't ideal to begin with so I'm only out the expense of attempting the refurbishment.

Even if your source can do it, If they were not fully assembled (bonded) to begin with, less stress and worry.

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
The GT is a Ford halo car.
Wasn't the company started by winning a race and the GT is part of this legacy and racing heritage.

I am a devout Ford man and bleed Ford blue, but on this I have a beef.
If I were in charge I would make every part available for my halo car(s).
And I mean anything and everything,
and from Ford. You need a washer, no problem, you want a new frame and a 5.4, no problem.
"I don't give a damn what it costs"
(we've heard that many years ago)
which is why the GT even exists.

Right now you can get over 800 newly manufactured parts for the mass produced Miata MX5 NA, made by Mazda in Hiroshima.
And using even better manufacturing and modern metallurgical technology of today.
If you have to, sub it out but get us Ford guys the parts.

jammer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2016
Maybe a letter to the executive chairman of the board of directors Bill Ford signed by members of this forum? He was President, CEO and COO of Ford during development and production of the FGT, so he must have a special place for it in his heart. Even if they don't want to produce spare parts they could at least help others produce make them.

Attachments

• BillFord_CamiloPardo2.jpg
    BillFord_CamiloPardo2.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 16
Reactions: Anderson

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
They beat them at the track, 66, they beat them on the road, 05, now beat them at the parts department.

Anderson

GT Owner
May 8, 2021
San Diego & FL
Increasing parts availability will not only help the long term value of the car, but it would also get people driving them more as Ford would likely prefer. It’s great advertising for them! I think it would come as a surprise to the general public that a company as big as Ford is no longer producing parts for such an iconic vehicle that’s less than 20 years old, except for some limited items or NOS. I had no idea until I bought mine. I still love it and drive it though.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Yeah, if Ford won't continue to make parts then they should offer to license the design specs (for a fee) so the aftermarket can supply parts.

Reactions: Anderson and Stef

dshears

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 26, 2009
Fremont Ca
Yeah, if Ford won't continue to make parts then they should offer to license the design specs (for a fee) so the aftermarket can supply parts.
Excellent idea !!

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
Increasing parts availability will not only help the long term value of the car, but it would also get people driving them more as Ford would likely prefer. It’s great advertising for them! I think it would come as a surprise to the general public that a company as big as Ford is no longer producing parts for such an iconic vehicle that’s less than 20 years old, except for some limited items or NOS. I had no idea until I bought mine. I still love it and drive it though.

Exactly, well said!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime

If Morimoto makes lights for F430's, maybe they would be interested in helping us?

gitarzan

Jul 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
Hi
Driver side headlight is out. I was told you can NOT replace the bulbs and have to replace the whole assembly. Haven’t seen anything otherwise except one post which say you can just replace the bulb but no other info. CAN you just replace the bulb or not? If not, I don’t know what to do next. The headlight assemblies are unavailable.

Thanks in advance
Chris

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Yes you can replace the bulb. Hope it's the bulb and not the "ignitor". First, take out the old bulb. You will have to remove the plastic inner fender with is a PITA. Then take it to your FLAPS to match. There are several different kinds of HID, so you want to get the correct replacement.

Reactions: gitarzan

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
You might switch the right/left relay to ensure one is not bad.

GT101

*UK Support*
Supporting Vendor
Jan 20, 2010
Colchester, Essex, UK
Hi
Driver side headlight is out. I was told you can NOT replace the bulbs and have to replace the whole assembly. Haven’t seen anything otherwise except one post which say you can just replace the bulb but no other info. CAN you just replace the bulb or not? If not, I don’t know what to do next. The headlight assemblies are unavailable.

Thanks in advance
Chris
Yes you can definitely replace the headlight bulb.

The OE bulb is a Philips 16530161 - it's a D1S type bulb rated at 35W - there are a variety of brands such as Osram who make these too, just search for a D1S 35W HID bulb.

The OE ballast is also a Philips part and you can replace these too.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Thank you Mr. JONES.

Reactions: GT101

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
Since Ford has already sold you the car it doesn't have to be concerned with the long term value of the car. What increasing parts availability will do is increase the value of the COMPANY. Public image, company reputation, visible commitment to their products and their customers. Remember "Pace car for an entire company." I think Ford is missing the boat, and a great opportunity if they chose not to back the icon.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Sir, Ford has been VERY COMMITTED to these cars. LONG after their required time frame. There just some parts that are trickier than others, and headlights are one. Do keep in mind that MANY suppliers that made these parts are long out business not surviving the tough times of ~2008.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Followed by Covid

Reactions: KJD and Specracer