New headlights for 2005/6MY Ford GT

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I didn’t realize the supply situation was so dire. If anyone out there is in a bind for some I’ve got two brand new in unopened boxes I’d part with. I know, I know, the next question is “how much”? I bought them a long time ago and don’t remember the exact cost but I don’t think I’d be making much at $9000 for the pair plus shipping (these are big boxes). I’ll only sell them as a pair too. I’ve got a brand new complete rear diffuser panel too if someone needs it.

Reactions: Fast Freddy

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
We’ll that didn’t take long. I’ve got a list of buyers so I’ll call them SOLD. Thanks everyone.

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
I’m also in the “don’t drive it at night camp”, and indeed I have only driven it once that way in 3.5 years. But since I’m in an inspection area, I do have to have working headlights. So I would appreciate some availability even at $12,000 per pair.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
For what it's worth,my old McLaren headlights crapped out. New units were going to be $4500, but the dealer carefully unglued all the bits, repaired/rebuilt as necessary and reassembled for less than half that price. The final product was indistinguishable from new.

Reactions: Sinovac and 2112

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime

Price point looking more reasonable every day.

(Although I still hope for lighting upgrade options).

Last edited:

Price point looking more reasonable every day.

(Although I still hope for lighting upgrade options).
This is an interesting (even if frustrating) thread. Looking at the "other" current headlight thread that advertises a pair of new headlights for sale, I see that one was made in the Netherlands and the other in Korea. I bought my spares in mid-2013 and they are the same mfg. At that time I was told that the reason for the supplier difference was that Ford had to find another supplier instead of the original one, which had gone out of business. Does anyone know the source of headlights produced in 2005/2006? Were they made in the US or elsewhere? And should anyone think that the possible price of $12k for repops is inordinately expensive, mine cost about $7200 (for the pair) 10 years ago - factoring in inflation, seems like the price is similar.

dr914

GT Owner
Feb 11, 2009
Marietta Georgia
I think that Ford should take it upon themselves to make replacement parts for this iconic car

I think that Ford should take it upon themselves to make replacement parts for this iconic car
Who can argue with that?

Reactions: Anderson

jammer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2016

As “Pace car of an entire company” Ford should provide more support to the GT community even if it may not fit the standard FoMoCo accounting practices. It may not make sense to Ford to have the parts remade if they retail for $1,400 a piece, but if current car valuation and owners are willing to pay $5k a piece I feel that Ford with their global suppliers network could make the proposal work without losing money while supporting the FGT community. Only thing I see is potential PR issues if they get accused incorrectly with price gouging which in my opinion wouldn’t be true.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Or at least give the OK for original suppliers to step up to the plate and/or share/sell original tooling to suppliers willing to do it.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
This is an interesting (even if frustrating) thread. Looking at the "other" current headlight thread that advertises a pair of new headlights for sale, I see that one was made in the Netherlands and the other in Korea. I bought my spares in mid-2013 and they are the same mfg. At that time I was told that the reason for the supplier difference was that Ford had to find another supplier instead of the original one, which had gone out of business. Does anyone know the source of headlights produced in 2005/2006? Were they made in the US or elsewhere? And should anyone think that the possible price of $12k for repops is inordinately expensive, mine cost about $7200 (for the pair) 10 years ago - factoring in inflation, seems like the price is similar.
Guide was the original mfr. Tooling was given to the by Ford. Guide declared bankruptcy . Ford tried to get the tooling back, but lie any other creditor had to wait a long time for their claim to be resolved.

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
I have an open box new one which I bought for 900 dollars back circa 2017. The one I have was built in Aug 2005 was manufactured in the Netherlands. These were available at that time between 1,200/1,400 on eBay. To think I was the only one to make an offer and got it.

Attachments

• IMG_1396.jpeg
    IMG_1396.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 25

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Guide was the original mfr. Tooling was given to the by Ford. Guide declared bankruptcy . Ford tried to get the tooling back, but lie any other creditor had to wait a long time for their claim to be resolved.
Guide was bought out by a company that owns the tooling now.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Guide was bought out by a company that owns the tooling now.

What is the name of that company?

Do you know if they still have the tooling?

dr914

GT Owner
Feb 11, 2009
Marietta Georgia
the tooling is the critical thing, if that can be found the lights can be made reasonably. Ford can contract with them to rerun 500 sets and put into their inventory

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Boy am I glad I took advice 15 years ago and bought parts. I’m glad to say I have a pair and one extra.. I even bought an extra set of lights for my new Carbon Series in fear, that the same might happen.

dr914

GT Owner
Feb 11, 2009
Marietta Georgia
It's a Ford! Who would have thought that parts would not be available? Crazy. If it was a 2006 Porsche GT2 everything would still be available! I bought a new front splitter years ago just in case, thankfully have not had to use it.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Well, to be fair, Porsche is the worlds largest boutique car builder.

I understand Ford not doing it, but I wish they would turn it over to someone who wants to.

Reactions: GT101

bret a ewing

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
Ford has restrictions on what some OEM suppliers can do. I purchased a new set of small gauges from Autometer and asked if they could repair existing gauges. He said Ford would not allow it.

jammer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2016
What is the name of that company?

Do you know if they still have the tooling?
. research
Guide was struggling to stay in business. Was bought by BBK that advertised itself as corporate turnaround consultants for the auto industry. Their activities resembled corporate dismantlers. After a few years they started negotiating with private equity companies to offer Guide for the fire sale value of their existing contracts and give away Guide’s assets including their manufacturing facilities, offices, real estate, tools, etc. Whoever bought Guide and their assets should have our elusive headlights tooling. Don’t know if they know or care as the aim was probably the big volume cash flow generating items. BBK was then acquired by KPMG freeing up BBK’s owner and his son to invest in Tequila manufacturing. After a few years of that they sold their tequila concern and went back to financial advising. Who has our tooling is not clear to me even though I’ve heard from others on this forum that Ford has it. I have not confirmed that. It is however possible if Ford ended up buying Guide from BBK around 2007 given BBK’s relationship with Ford. However I think we would’ve heard about that given required financial disclosures that Ford is subject to being publicly traded company.

Reactions: 2112