New Guy, Looking Around for a New Toy

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Prices may or may not drop during the winter and in this economy who knows the future but I purchased mine about 17 months ago and since prices have climbed quite dramatically. Everyone seems to be aware when a GT is for sale and the chances of finding a "steal" are remote. Jump in, the waters fine!!!

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
...approximately 1000 wrecked/accidents?

I've seen this number tossed out a few times. Where does that estimate come from? Went from about 500 to about 1,000 just recently.

OnLy Me

Jun 26, 2008
No, we aren't in the same boat....its more like you are the Queen Mary, and I'm a row boat. So would you PX the Scud or keep both? Have you driven a GT? I'd be interested in a comparison. I was quite disappointed in the regular f430 I drove (05), it just seemed so gutless compared to the 550-2 which I drove back-to-back.
Unfortunately Scud would have to go. I had a 2012 LP 550-2 before the scud. Nice car, but the Scud is much more visceral and raw. Only kept the 550-2 for 5 months. And f.w.i.w., you can NOT compare any F430 to a Scud. My buddy sold his 6 speed (3 pedal) 430 and picked up a Scud 2 months ago. He can't believe the difference from the two.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I've seen this number tossed out a few times. Where does that estimate come from? Went from about 500 to about 1,000 just recently.

I can't say for sure, but I would put the number of just "wrecked" cars closer to 1000, totaled to 500. It's really hard to say, but no matter what, it's a bunch. Mainly from just piecing together publicly crashed cars and the many crashed cars from this site that have remained private. Just in the last week I learned of two total losses and one fixable but substantial wreck. Happens every fall when the temps drop, and every spring when cars first come out of hibernation.

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Unfortunately Scud would have to go. I had a 2012 LP 550-2 before the scud. Nice car, but the Scud is much more visceral and raw. Only kept the 550-2 for 5 months. And f.w.i.w., you can NOT compare any F430 to a Scud. My buddy sold his 6 speed (3 pedal) 430 and picked up a Scud 2 months ago. He can't believe the difference from the two.

OK, thats very reassuring, as I was so disappointed in the 430 as compared to the 550-2. My only issue with the Scud and cars like it (Superleggara, CS) are the alcantra and tech fiber seats and dash. So I would be stuck looking for a full leather one.....which there is here in town but its a black one.

You will have a very interesting decision to make if you can only keep one of them.

OnLy Me

Jun 26, 2008
OK, thats very reassuring, as I was so disappointed in the 430 as compared to the 550-2. My only issue with the Scud and cars like it (Superleggara, CS) are the alcantra and tech fiber seats and dash. So I would be stuck looking for a full leather one.....which there is here in town but its a black one.

You will have a very interesting decision to make if you can only keep one of them.
For whatever reason, the leather is not highly sought after in the Scuds. Alcantara is preferred with the tech fabric coming in second to that. As I said, once I feel the right one comes around, I may just make the switch. What i really need to do is get more seat time behind a GT, as my test drive with a salesman wasn't all I would have liked to do. Just want to get one out for about 20 minutes to stretch her legs a bit more. I definitely will take the advice of many here, and be very careful. Especially coming out or through any turns.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
...and be very careful. Especially coming out or through any turns.

Wait! Wait! You need the throttle through turns. The GT pulls almost 1G on the skidpad. On cold tires about 0.1G. :lol

gtforme

GT Owner
Apr 12, 2009
Only two yellow ones I know of that are currently for sale, neither 'inexpensive'. Lots of reds on the market. Virtually no whites. Reply With Quote

I hear what you are saying aboit the white GTs , I have not seen a white one for sale here in Canada for years and the color seems to be very desirable

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Buy all the reds that you can - eventually, the market will not give a damn about color, if we live that long.... :thumbsup

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
Only two yellow ones I know of that are currently for sale, neither 'inexpensive'. Lots of reds on the market. Virtually no whites. Reply With Quote

I hear what you are saying aboit the white GTs , I have not seen a white one for sale here in Canada for years and the color seems to be very desirable

Forget Canada when it comes to buying these cars. The dealers here all think they're sitting on a %$^%$ diamond mine when it comes to cars.

I met a guy a few miles down the road from me about 2 years ago, who bought a 25-mile red/white 2005 GT from a dealer located near me. He paid 225k for a CDN red 3-option car in 2010. There were no 4-option cars in the CDN model, IIRC. I was stunned that he actually paid that much, since at the time of his purchase, the same car with similar mileage could have been had in the US for under 150k, with all 4 options. I've brought in a good 12-15 vehicles from the US over the last 5 years and saved several hundred thousand $ over buying the same cars here, new and used. There's absolutely no reason not to go into the US to buy a vehicle, but there are plenty of dealers in Canada who know that some people are not going to make the effort to learn how to bring them in - and consequently will rip and tear on their inventory, much the same as the manufacturers do here in Canada. I can't even remember the last time I bought a car here in Canada, truthfully.

FWIW, I bought my one-owner, 2k mile white GT in early 2011 and paid much much less than what they're selling for today. The GT's have picked up value dramatically in the past 18 months. I remember seeing many of them with low mileage in 2010 and early 2011 for under 150k. Many ultra-low mileage GT's today are listing at prices north of 200k...and while not all of them are getting that kind of money, there are those who are getting that and more. Today, 10-100 mile cars aren't being listed under 200k, with many listing at 210 and more.

If I were buying a third GT, or another supercar there are two vendors (both are here and on E-Bay) who I'd buy from...with no hesitation buying from either, sight unseen. I'd buy from them before buying from any CDN dealer. I bought both my GT's sight unseen from Shelby...and each car was exactly as he described them to me...perfect. Getting them into Canada was a snap and took only a few hours of my time. The same can't be said when buying in Canada. There is absolutely NO value or reason in buying a GT in Canada, since most of them today are US cars being brought in to sell for a huge premium here. Buyer beware.

My buddy bought a US-imported 2009 Viper roadster from a Dodge dealer in Canada in 2010. It was red and had 10k miles. He paid 77k. That dealer probably paid under 60k for that car all in. I bought a VVO (far more rare and desirable) 2008 Viper Roadster in 2009 with 295 miles on it - in Virginia from a member on this board, for 63k. It cost me about $800.00 to get it across the border. Like I said - I saved a few hundred k buying my vehicles in the US in the last 5 years.

I just bought a brand new truck last week in the US for well under 60k. I tried to buy it here, but couldn't find it even at a fleet price for under 75k. GM screws the Canadian buyers in a big way...and they're only one of many that do.

Last edited:

GT Venum

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 4, 2010
Wisconsin
Buy all the reds that you can - eventually, the market will not give a damn about color, if we live that long.... :thumbsup

I agree on the red and watching what they have been listed for lately it does not look like there is much of a difference in color except the heritage.

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
Yellow is where it's at. :)

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.

I agree with this statement because 25 years from now a different generation will be the ones with money to purchase these cars. Color tastes may change but the desire to own one will probably only be stronger.