New Guy, Looking Around for a New Toy

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Good Morning,
I'm from flat boring road Houston Texas:lol looking for a new weekend car, to replace my modified 2001 Porsche Turbo. Started with a $150k budget, but really didn't find anything substancially better than what I have. So now, my budget creep is going up another $25k or so. So now I'm looking at the GT (duh), Murcielago roadster, Gallardo 550-2, and Scud.

I've got some history with Ford products, 4 Mustangs and 2 Shelby Mustangs (GT-500KR & GT-350).....all back in the 80s.

The GT is just stunning, all of you are smart and have good taste:thumbsup

So as I'm looking at the market, it looks like some 5k mile cars are in the $175k area, correct?

Is there a Houston area owners group? Have sat in a GT, have not ridden in or driven yet.

Thanks

HIRISC

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 14, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Lot's of GT's in your neck of the woods.

Your price point is in the ballpark - depending on color. As you've no doubt read, these cars are more $ to color sensitive than nearly any other.

Good luck hunting - it's an amazing car that will make pale most other 'sports' car driving experiences.

Re your other choices, I cross-shopped '09 Scud's. Great car, but not easy to increase power, high maintenance costs and the steep depreciation curve kept me from staring at them too long.

Very glad I bought a GT.

Last edited:

Willrx

GT Owner
Aug 9, 2012
Atlanta
I'm sure others will be chiming in rather shortly, but I will say WELCOME! The car and all that goes with it speaks for itself. There are a lot of wonderful choices in that price range, but none that match overall value and WOW what a story behind the making of the car and its history!

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Sort of a similar story here, but I'm trying to get out of my modified '07 997 turbo. Unlike you, none of those other cars have ever entered the equation. I've only had eyes for the GT:) $175 can probably get you a nicely optioned, relatively low-mile red/white stripe or higher mileage any-other-color-except-Heritage GT. Good luck on your search. Crossing fingers I'll be in one soon as well.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Go to the rally section and read about how passionate the owners are!

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Shark,
There is a big Houston contingent, many with heavily-modded cars.
GT is the best value supercar out there (IMHO), I have a small collection of very nice vehicles, but its the GT keys that get picked up first whenever I need a rush!

OnLy Me

Jun 26, 2008
I'm in the same boat as you, only that I currently have a Scud in the garage. Absolutely an incredible car in every sense of the word! But the GT has always been considered. Value on the Scuderia has held steady for the past 18 months, but it will obviously never increase like the GT. I'm waiting for the exact right GT to come along, and have been looking every day to see what turns up. Time will tell....

Good luck in your search!

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
value schmalue. You're comparing two distinct groups of cars. Group A: Ford GT. Group B: Lambo, Ferrari, yadda yadda.

Both groups are wonderful, but I don't get how you could put them in the same category. It's like, most awesome American Iconic Big Motor Long Stroke Force Fed Spectacular Noise Most Testosterone Filled Unbelieveably Beautiful Erotic Body Car vs....a lot of Italian stuff.

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Sort of a similar story here, but I'm trying to get out of my modified '07 997 turbo. Unlike you, none of those other cars have ever entered the equation. I've only had eyes for the GT:) $175 can probably get you a nicely optioned, relatively low-mile red/white stripe or higher mileage any-other-color-except-Heritage GT. Good luck on your search. Crossing fingers I'll be in one soon as well.

You're very lucky you don't have to go through a narrowing down process. Good luck on your search! What color combos are you looking for?

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Shark,
There is a big Houston contingent, many with heavily-modded cars.
GT is the best value supercar out there (IMHO), I have a small collection of very nice vehicles, but its the GT keys that get picked up first whenever I need a rush!

Thanks, do the Houston guys have a website or do stuff together? I go to cars and coffee, and the are only a couple GTs that show up, and they are always spread out, unlike all the other groups.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
You're very lucky you don't have to go through a narrowing down process. Good luck on your search! What color combos are you looking for?

It started as white or red only. Now it's sort of expanded to virtually every color. lol Guess it will ultimately depend on the condition of the car, miles, and of course, price. How about you? Any particular colors in mind?

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
I'm in the same boat as you, only that I currently have a Scud in the garage. Absolutely an incredible car in every sense of the word! But the GT has always been considered. Value on the Scuderia has held steady for the past 18 months, but it will obviously never increase like the GT. I'm waiting for the exact right GT to come along, and have been looking every day to see what turns up. Time will tell....

Good luck in your search!

No, we aren't in the same boat....its more like you are the Queen Mary, and I'm a row boat. So would you PX the Scud or keep both? Have you driven a GT? I'd be interested in a comparison. I was quite disappointed in the regular f430 I drove (05), it just seemed so gutless compared to the 550-2 which I drove back-to-back.

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
value schmalue. You're comparing two distinct groups of cars. Group A: Ford GT. Group B: Lambo, Ferrari, yadda yadda.

Both groups are wonderful, but I don't get how you could put them in the same category. It's like, most awesome American Iconic Big Motor Long Stroke Force Fed Spectacular Noise Most Testosterone Filled Unbelieveably Beautiful Erotic Body Car vs....a lot of Italian stuff.

I think they're closer together than you consider. First, pretty much any two cars in the same price range will be cross-shopped by someone. You see guys cross-shop a Ferrari f430 and a Bentley GTC....for me THAT'S nuts.

The GT has a very unique exotic body style, just like the Italians. The GT has a heritage, just like the Italians. All these cars make great sounds.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
There's also exclusivity, if that's at all important to you. 4038 manufactured, approximately 1000 wrecked/accidents?, couple hundred residing outside of the United States. Doesn't leave many on the road here.

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
It started as white or red only. Now it's sort of expanded to virtually every color. lol Guess it will ultimately depend on the condition of the car, miles, and of course, price. How about you? Any particular colors in mind?

Can't afford a heritage
Do not like black, tungsten, or silver
Love white and red
If I had my choice of the regular colors, I would pick yellow

Missed out on a local yellow a month ago as I was still debating whether I wanted to increase my budget from $150k

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Can't afford a heritage
Love white and red

Missed out on a local yellow a month ago as I was still debating whether I wanted to increase my budget from $150k

Same here on the Heritage:(
Only two yellow ones I know of that are currently for sale, neither 'inexpensive'. Lots of reds on the market. Virtually no whites.

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
There's also exclusivity, if that's at all important to you. 4038 manufactured, approximately 1000 wrecked/accidents?, couple hundred residing outside of the United States. Doesn't leave many on the road here.

Well the GT is unique in that regard. If you have a Ferrari or Lamborghini with a 4,000 production figure (for example, that is the number of Murcielagos), they are hardly considered unique. You have to get down into the hundreds or very low thousands to qualify (Challenge Stradale, Diablo 6.0, 550 Barchetta, Scud 16M, Murcielago roadster with manual transmission)

The GT is also unique by the number of owners having more than one. Where else do you see that?

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Can't afford a heritage
Love white and red

Missed out on a local yellow a month ago as I was still debating whether I wanted to increase my budget from
$150k
Lambo Houston is just prepping a yellow car, jump now, there's lots of folk chasing it! We don't have a website etc in Houston, but there is definitely a GT community. PM me for more details and we can organise something

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Same here on the Heritage:(
Only two yellow ones I know of that are currently for sale, neither 'inexpensive'. Lots of reds on the market. Virtually no whites.

Hmmm, the local was a 2k mile car at the Lamborghini dealer asking $189k.....maybe I screwed myself for being indecisive

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Lambo Houston is just prepping a yellow car, jump now, there's lots of folk chasing it! We don't have a website etc in Houston, but there is definitely a GT community. PM me for more details and we can organise something

Wait,is this a new one or the one they sold last month?