New GT purchase story...

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
Hello everyone! I am the proud new owner of an '06 Tungsten GT that I literally fell into a couple of weeks ago. I am a CT resident and as any car respecting New Englander knows, don't break out the ride until they've swept the roads of all the sand from the winter. Anyway, I walk into the local Ford dealer about a month ago and see this beautiful grey GT with silver stripes (exact same combo as my Roush powered 427 Superformance Cobra) on the showroom floor with a sold tag on it. As I am admiring the car a sales guy approaches me and we start to talk about the car and he tells me that he was not the fortunate one to have sold the car. I can relate because I sell Acura's for a living and many a times when the NSX was hot it was euphoria to sell one because A)I'm a real car guy and appreciate this kind of purchase and B)a nice commission was on the table. So we move along and start talking about the F-150 which was my reason for being there to begin with. On my way out I tell him I be in touch within a couple of weeks to let him know my decision on the truck. Two weeks later we have a beautiful Friday and I take out my '05 Copperhead Viper with all of 1,700 miles on it and drive over to the Ford store. Well lookie here, the sold tag is gone. The guy cancelled that morning, bad for him good for me! The deal was basically done on the spot and that sales guy went home a happy camper as of course did I. The moral of the story is that not only was luck on my side to have gotten this car in my own backyard (the dealer was great in every way) but it confirms what I already knew and that is you never know when something good will land in your lap if you treat people the right way. I'm surely on the low side of the totem pole regarding the typical person who would buy and could afford a car like this so I'm even more honored to own one and I'm very happy for the fellow who sold it to me because he treated me (as did the whole staff) with the utmost courtesy whether I was buying the truck or the GT. Happy to be a member of such an exclusive club and hope to hear some other "happy" stories, not talk about how much off list you can get! Thanks for reading my post. Dan

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
Welcome to the forum, CONGRATULATIONS on getting your GT! And don't put yourself too low, we have a few lowlifes here, myself included. :cheers

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
thanks

Not low life's my friend, just low income... :lol

Pipelion

Dan,

Great story and I'm so happy for you. :cheers

You are the second guy walking in to buy a Ford truck and walking out with a Ford GT instead.

Keep us posted on your experiances. :biggrin :biggrin

Allan

PS I've got a good friend on Candlewood lake, great scenic roads in CT, enjoy them!

Desi

GT Owner
Jan 30, 2006
Germany
Dan,
welcome on board and congratulations for the right investment you will never regret :cheers
Well, I never drove a F-150 but I guess you have choosen the right "thing" :wink ! I know exactly what you can appreciate from now on :thumbsup - Tungsten Gray is a great coulour, it is THE coolest coulour for this car (my opinion)!!!

With my best regards from Berlin, :banana
Desi

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
thanks allan

Actually the Ford store (Colonial Ford) nearly borders Candlewood Lake. Good lookin' out though, you're right those roads are great to run on. Plan on going to Limerock Raceway in mid May with some old Viper buddies (hope they don't try to squeeze me) to see what this car can do. I'll tell you this much, I've never driven a mid-engine car but the balance and chassis feedback is incredible. I am so impressed with the car that people look at you like you're just trying to justify the money you spent for the car when you are expressing how truly awesome it is and the fact that it is a bargain of a car in comparison to the $$$$$$ exotics!!! Who cares anyway, we know what it's all about and we're fortunate to be able to experience the great jor Ford did in engineering this car. Thanks for the well wishes, keep in touch :cheers Dan

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Congrtatulations, Dan! I think there's a happy story for everyone who has purchased a Ford GT, even those who paid a lot over list. But in the minds of many owners who paid msrp or less, that is the happiest story.

K-P Garage

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Longwood, Florida
You got the right idea

BigDan- Sounds like you got the right idea. And, more important you have the right attitude to enjoy the car. I enjoyed reading your post. KO :thumbsup

tiger 6

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 5, 2006
virginia
Dan,
Great story. Cograts on the purchase! :cheers
This past weekend I was in Sacramento visiting my son and his family. We were dealer "car hopping" and stopped by a Ford dealer to see if they had a GT in the showroom and what they were asking for the car. As luck would have it, there were 2 sitting on the showroom floor-a white with blue stripes and a red with white stripes. Both cars were '05's.
We talked briefly with a salesman before he said he would have to get the GM to talk with us.When the GM arrived, I asked him several questions-have sold 2, don't know anything about clamshell closing problems,jack adapters for lifts,have 2 techs for service etc. As I was looking at the sticker price 0f $159,000 plus, I asked him if he was selling the cars for MSRP or less. His reply was no-the price of each car was $300,000.00!!!! :ack
When I mentioned that '05's were going for MSRP or,in some cases,less,his reply was the GT was selling for $300k in Ca. due to the state's emission requirements! :eek
Wished him the best of luck and we left. So, if anyone is interested in a $300k '05 red or white GT, pm me and I'll give you the dealer's name and address!!!

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Congratulations and Welcome bigdan40! :cheers

Raddox

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 24, 2006
Fair Oaks, CA
50 State Cars

BigDan 40, congratulations, you're going to love the car. Everyone does.

Tiger 6, I live in the Sacramento area and several local dealers have GTs on the showroom floor. I bought my car in Eugene, Oregon and it is a 50 state car. Are they all? My MSO states "Certified for Sale in California." I had to have the car smogged to register it but it was well worth the $130,000 savings!
Bill

kosupply

GT Owner/Board of Directors
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 27, 2006
Houston
you must be selling the heck out of those acuras!!! Or do you own the dealership??

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
Great story. Have you figured out how you're going to strap the 2 x 4's to the roof of your new F 550 .... 170 something dollar truck?? :rofl

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
Thanks tm, haven't figured that one out yet! Let me know if you have any suggestions... :biggrin

Le Mans 123

Feb 28, 2006
I know the dealership you are talking about. I visited this dealership about 6 months ago with my father when he was in the research phase of the purchase. At that time, they had a Heritage GT and were asking 400K even. They wouldn't even talk about moving the price. They were very nice about it, but I felt the price was unrealistic. There must be someone out there buying the cars at that price, I just don't know who . . . Maybe dotcommers that did ok.

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
I didn't know they had a Heritage. They told me when I bought the Tungsten that the only "05 they had gotten was a white w/blue stripes that they also sold locally. Also, I haven't heard the 400k number or anything close to that mentioned before. Can anyone elaborate on this?

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Some dealers have priced their GT's at 400,000 or more because they do not want to sell them, and will not, unless someone pays what even they know is a totally rediculous price.

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
I have to tell ya. Living in California is horrible when it comes to these kind of cars. Theres toooo much money out here and you can drive them year round. My understanding is that the dealers are allocated these cars which means they are paying "RENT" on these cars to Ford until they sell them. The longer they hold a car, they more they pay. This is true and not an urban legend. Some stories may vary. But I was told that Ford Motor Co. still owns them (unless otherwise possibly bought from the owner etc...)So when you might live ,... say in the cold tundra of the midwest or north east, the snow is a coming and the dealers are a unloading. Otherwise they are paying rent on them until snow melts and the sun is a shining. It's a gamble, but if anyone wants a deal on a GT, wait until late fall or early winter of 06 and start searching dealers in those cold places of the great ole US of A. :bored :frown :wink :thumbsup :banana :ack :bs

Oh yeah, My one thing I wanted to say is that the most outrageous prices are probably here in So. Cal and then probably Miami... just a guess though

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Northern CA is bad too! I got one from a snow state. It was worth the effort CA dealers were all 10K+ over MSRP.

BlackICE

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
I was quoted $225k by the largest ford dealer in south florida on 1/06...