New Ford GT Coming With 630 HP And 539 LB-FT

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
I'd expect it will be a tire limited top speed.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Deja vu circa 2004?

Matt

GT Owner
Jan 27, 2012
Tampa, FL
I sincerely doubt this will be a top speed darling, as you suggest Brian. Way too much drag, in the down force elements.

I thought (perhaps incorrectly) that the whole point of the NGT tapered fuselage was to reduce drag--enormously. If that is the case, wouldn't the increased down force provided by diffuser and active aero be somewhat offset, allowing a relatively high top speed?

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Deja vu circa 2004?

Yep, I think that's reasonable assumption.

Tire tech is so far beyond our Goodyears, it should still be a ridiculous number for a 'street' car.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007

Deja vu circa 2004?

:agree:

While tires have improved over the last 11 years, the speed ratings have not gone up and remain the same as when our cars were assembled -

View attachment 39415

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
OEM's perform their own development and certification of tire product (to vehicle) that is independent of the government tire ratings. Gov't ratings are a summary guideline/tbaseline consumer comparative. If the OEM's waited for the gov to figure things out, we'd probably still be in the buggy whip biz. E.g. Wonder why Y level tires have a higher speed rating than Z? ;-))

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Top speed is high.

On of the joys of the great forum is Dave's hints!!!! I still remember when someone brought up the subtle tab for "05-06 Ford GT" before we really had any idea about the new car!!

When DBK speaks everyone should listen....or anxiously await when all the good numbers come out officially.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
On of the joys of the great forum is Dave's hints!!!! I still remember when someone brought up the subtle tab for "05-06 Ford GT" before we really had any idea about the new car!!

When DBK speaks everyone should listen....or anxiously await when all the good numbers come out officially.

I take that to mean >212.5 but <225

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

That was StormCat, who picked up on that!

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Top speed is high.

Cool !!! Great news !! The reduced fuselage must offset the designed in down force. Can't wait to see the numbers.. :pop:pop

= active aero, must help, a lot

I think the only active aero is the wing that will raise up and provide more down force when needed and than can flip up to be an air brake, neither one of those functions will reduce the drag / increase speed. If the car can lower it's self that would increase the speed.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale

That was StormCat, who picked up on that!

yep !!!.. that was me who picked up on that..:biggrin:biggrin

and we know Dave is in touch with the dark side of the force.. so listen up...:secret::secret: ..... sorry no star wars characters available...:bored

Last edited:

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale

Michelin is supplying tires to some of the big dog sports cars. a 205 mph to 210 mph rating should not be a problem for them.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
Top speed is high.

THAT'S what I like to hear.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I sure nothing was left on the table to make it go as cleanly through the air as possible, but ultimate top speed was not a top priority. I guess my point was, when you have a car to go FAST in a relatively straight line, you have something like a Veron, where turning / downforce is not its strong suit.

I thought (perhaps incorrectly) that the whole point of the NGT tapered fuselage was to reduce drag--enormously. If that is the case, wouldn't the increased down force provided by diffuser and active aero be somewhat offset, allowing a relatively high top speed?

Well but the fact the wing can get out of the way, would increase its top speed (vs a fixed wing).

As for ride height, from the initial press release "The state-of-the-art chassis is suspended by an active racing-style torsion bar and pushrod suspension, with adjustable ride height."

I think the only active aero is the wing that will raise up and provide more down force when needed and than can flip up to be an air brake, neither one of those functions will reduce the drag / increase speed. If the car can lower it's self that would increase the speed.

Matt

GT Owner
Jan 27, 2012
Tampa, FL
Perhaps not "ultimate top speed", but certainly to a high speed for Mulsanne with the chicanes.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Perhaps not "ultimate top speed", but certainly to a high speed for Mulsanne with the chicanes.

I think perhaps this thread may be confusing 2 different cars - one is the new GT being developed for the WEC and Le Mans: this car will have a fixed wing. The second car will be the limited production model which will be used to homologate the racing version, and will have the active aero wing. In many cases, these two cars will be significantly different, yet will share very similar body styles and use the same chassis.

davefordgt

GT Owner
Feb 10, 2006
top speed is 217 same as P1 and LA F and Lambo Aventador

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
uploadfromtaptalk1442603700934.jpg

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

RALPHIE