New "Cool" Product for your GT

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The subject of high engine compartment heat and engine heat soak has been discussed here on numerous occasions. Many owners have even helped to rationalize exhaust purchases for not only improved (subjective) sound quality but also for weight savings and cooler engine compartment temperatures. High engine compartment heat is a well-known topic. For those of you who have seen Ford's marketing DVD for the GT (thanks Dennis!), you'll see that Ford explicitly recommends AGAINST the usage of plastic license plate frames for the GT. In reality, the installation of a rear license plate on the GT is problematic in two ways. First, a rear plate effectively blocks 57% of the rear center vent section. (Yes, I counted all of the little holes, computed the area and also computed the cross sectional area of the license plate opening. See illustration below.)

SurfaceArea.jpg

The second "problem" of mounting a rear plate is that, by definition, Ford is recommending a metal plate. Using the stock mounting locations, a metal plate will come into direct contact with the painted surface of the GT's center section. Over time, this direct contact will cause scratches in the painted surface.

ScratchPaint.jpg

At Cool Tech, we have developed an elegantly simple yet effective resolution to rear license plate mounting on the GT. Simply stated, it is the availability of precisely sized aluminum spacers - that simultaneosly address both of these aforementioned problems.

First, the Cool Tech License Plate spacers allow the plate to stand away from the large opening yielding a large increase in available venting/air flow area.

SpaceAway.jpg

Second, and perhaps even more importantly, the Cool Tech spacers will not allow either the plate itself or the frame to come into contact with the GT's painted surfaces. In addition, the spacers themselves do not even come into contact with the painted surfaces. The entire spacer fits neatly on top of the nutsert shoulder - protecting your paint.

Shoulder.JPG

And here's a spacer installed without the plate so you can see that there is no paint contact.

NutsertContact.jpg

In summary, The Cool Tech License Plate Spacers help protect your GT in two important ways;
1.) They help air flow and engine bay temps by increasing the amount of available vent space and;
2.) They help insure that you license plate and frame do not damage the paint on your GT.

The Cool Tech spacer kit is now available for $19.95. The kit includes 4 black-annodized aluminum spacers and a properly sized Torx key so you can install them yourself. You can order Cool Tech spacers on the website (still under construction) Cool Tech.

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
I just added 6 properly sized Home-Depot washers per hole, for $0.57. The stock bolts were plenty long enough.

I would have simply bought a kit instead, but there wasn't one at the time.

I was wondering about drilling small holes in the license plate, could easily remove 25-30% of the plate and still be easily read. Guess that would give the cops a good excuse to hastle me, and the lack of metal could make it easier for the GT to melt it. :biggrin

sharp33

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2006
Rochester, NY
I spaced my frame out on day one in order to improve cooling and allow the use of a plastic plate frame. So far with 2600 miles and one track day, no problems.

AMB

GT Owner
Aug 29, 2005
San Diego,Ca.
nota4re

What about a "HINGED" plate holder, that will/could flip UP/down at high speed/air flow through the engine compartment !!!!

AMB

Last edited:

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
Very james bond.. I like it and maybe we could have a high caliber automatic something or other to shoot at those noisy tuners that like to harass us. I swear their like flies... :biggrin
AMB said:
What about a "HINGED" plate holder, that will/could flip down at high speed/air flow through the engine compartment !!!!

AMB

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Hey,maybe I can rig something up with one of the Transcooler lines and dump a mess of 75W90 behind the car to slip up those foolish enough to pursue..... uh, but wait. At $35/quart, maybe it would be cheaper to pay the ticket!

prmoldoaks

GT Owner
Jul 31, 2006
Can you tell me what exhaust system you have on the GT in the picture please.

Thanks

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Those are the Ford Racing Borla tips.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
I have run at the track with no license plate and it did not improve cooling at all.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
barondw said:
I have run at the track with no license plate and it did not improve cooling at all.

barondw, was that before or after the Ida exhaust...

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
MAD IN NC said:
barondw, was that before or after the Ida exhaust...

Before the Ida exhaust. Have not had a temp problem during track days even in 90 degree plus heat with temp rising above 210+/-.

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
ME either. I put some of those spacers behind the plate and it did some good. What we need is a new place for the license and a screen over that hole to allow heat to escspe...JAY???????

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Plate Ideas

Jay - where are you on this?
I'm inclined to go with the James Bond idea. The oil spray unit mentioned in an earlier post could come in handy. However the the flip up/down plate coupled with a rear facing nuclear reactor light would probably just as effective without all the extra weight of the heavy oil.

Prototype at 11?

Jeff

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Naw, you guys are missing it. Yank the muffler and put in a ROTATING License plate with 3 or 4 plates like the original DB5. Pick your plates or your states. What we need is a contact in a prison to get us fake plates.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Maybe we could talk Jay into building a "high wattage" nuclear powered laser jammer - "that could fry electronics from 1 km"