New clutch

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
DBTGT, in order to need a new clutch, you must take your car off the trailer and drive it. Trailered miles do not count. FYI. FJP

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
kmillen,
I am interested in a clutch but want to know if all the R&D is done? Have you installed one and driven it yet? Can you compare your product to the one that Spec has developed for Joe's TT application?
Thanks!

All of the R&D is 100% complete. I have them sitting on my shelves ready to go right now.

We have not yet driven with one in the car. We will be installing that in the next couple of days. The transaxle is out of the car and as I type this they are installing the new 3.9 diff ratio. When we re-install the transaxle we will also be installing the new clutch as well.

Before comparing our product to the Spec clutch I have to let you know that my information regarding the Spec clutch is not complete. If anyone has a link or a place that I can study the Spec clutch I can make a more accurate comparison.

From what I understand the Spec clutch is more of a re-line of the friction material more so than a complete replacement clutch? With our clutch we are making quite a few changes.

1) We changed the center plate design from a 4 spring to a 6 spring. The clutches have been designed with an alternative 6 spring Driven plates with increased torque capacity compared to the original four spring Ford GT driven plate. These driven plates have been used extensively by A.P.Racing for performance cars such as Ferrari's.

2) The standard (and I assume Spec) clutch has a release point after 90MM of travel or 3.54 inches. The new cushion segments will release after 65 MM or 2.55 inches.

Also we use a different friction material. This material has a higher thermal performance and fade resistance than the original F510 material.

One of the major benefits of our clutch is that it is made by AP Racing. The same company that makes the factory clutch and was involved in the original development of the car.

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
I am definitely in for one when the stock unit goes and it will probably go fairly quick now after the Whipple install.
Question for Kyle,
I don't like the engagement point of the stock clutch which is very high in its travel, will the AP clutch engage lower in the arc?

I completely agree with you and that was something that we addressed when developing the new clutch. Please see the above post for the complete description on how we made that change.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
DBTGT, in order to need a new clutch, you must take your car off the trailer and drive it. Trailered miles do not count. FYI. FJP

Hmmmm, maybe Empty Pockets will sell me the stock clutch in his car. I don't think it's ever been used.:willy

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
Kyle,
When will you be at C&C again? I'd like to get a feel of the clutch. FYI, it may rain this Saturday so it may not be a good day to go.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Hmmmm, maybe Empty Pockets will sell me the stock clutch in his car. I don't think it's ever been used.:willy

Steve, I thought you discovered a way of getting factory replacement clutches at no charge, by just bringing your GT to your local Ford dealer. Didn't the last time you went to the dealer your car was returned with a new clutch, free of charge?

:lol:rofl:lol

Last edited:

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
Kyle,
When will you be at C&C again? I'd like to get a feel of the clutch. FYI, it may rain this Saturday so it may not be a good day to go.

I can go to C&C anytime. The car is still apart as of right now (it's getting the first 3.9 diff. ratio installed.) So I probably won't be able to make it down there this Saturday. Maybe we can plan to meet up next weekend? Or if you'd like you can always stop by our shop.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Steve, I thought you discovered a way of getting factory replacement clutches at no charge, by just bringing your GT to your local Ford dealer. Didn't the last time you went to the dealer your car was returned with a new clutch, free of charge?

:lol:rofl:lol

Yeah, funny thing is I just got the final work ticket from the dealer and not only did I not have to pay for the new clutch but neither did the dealer.:skep:skep:skep. Looks as though Henry's family felt bad for they dealer so the picked up the tab.:bored.

PNicholson

Yeah, funny thing is I just got the final work ticket from the dealer and not only did I not have to pay for the new clutch but neither did the dealer.:skep:skep:skep. Looks as though Henry's family felt bad for they dealer so the picked up the tab.:bored.

Hey Steve,

Page here - sorry you had that experiance at the dealership :bang Hope it all worked out well for you in the end.

Page

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma

:lol:lol:lol

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
All of the R&D is 100% complete. I have them sitting on my shelves ready to go right now.

We have not yet driven with one in the car. We will be installing that in the next couple of days. The transaxle is out of the car and as I type this they are installing the new 3.9 diff ratio. When we re-install the transaxle we will also be installing the new clutch as well.

Before comparing our product to the Spec clutch I have to let you know that my information regarding the Spec clutch is not complete. If anyone has a link or a place that I can study the Spec clutch I can make a more accurate comparison.

From what I understand the Spec clutch is more of a re-line of the friction material more so than a complete replacement clutch? With our clutch we are making quite a few changes.

1) We changed the center plate design from a 4 spring to a 6 spring. The clutches have been designed with an alternative 6 spring Driven plates with increased torque capacity compared to the original four spring Ford GT driven plate. These driven plates have been used extensively by A.P.Racing for performance cars such as Ferrari's.

2) The standard (and I assume Spec) clutch has a release point after 90MM of travel or 3.54 inches. The new cushion segments will release after 65 MM or 2.55 inches.

Also we use a different friction material. This material has a higher thermal performance and fade resistance than the original F510 material.

One of the major benefits of our clutch is that it is made by AP Racing. The same company that makes the factory clutch and was involved in the original development of the car.

Thanks, I'm interested to hear how it works when you drive the car.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Hey Steve,

Page here - sorry you had that experiance at the dealership :bang Hope it all worked out well for you in the end.

Page

Thanks for the concern Page. ChrisA had his car at the same dealer at the same time and wasn't very pleased with the service or TLC his car received either (to put it kindly).:frown:thumbsdow

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Thanks for the concern Page. ChrisA had his car at the same dealer at the same time and wasn't very pleased with the service or TLC his car received either (to put it kindly).:frown:thumbsdow

You guys need to load a valet tune before bringing the car in for service. I made one by mistake, but it can be useful at times. The tune had the superchargers bypass on always (no boost) and limited the RPM to 3000. For a Valet tune I would at a speed limiter of 30 mph. That should keep the car out of trouble.

To be really safe, one could have zero boost, 2000 RPMs max, and a top speed of 15 mph. That should allow them to move the car around the dealership service bays, but not much more than that!

:lol

PNicholson

Its cause I wasnt there watching over the cars ya know :)