new battery and dead car

LONEWATTE

GT Owner
Dec 7, 2006
West Palm Beach,Fl
I changed the battery ( a new red top optima, yes fully charged per my smart charger). Old battery had shorted cell. I have lights, horns, bells, etc, but push start button and nothing! Any ideas out there? Car started bfore

Lorenzo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2008
U.S.A.
I assume you remembered to push the clutch in?:cheers

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Perhaps a bad ground to the frame?

LONEWATTE

GT Owner
Dec 7, 2006
West Palm Beach,Fl
lol, clutch was pushed in, and ground was sanded, cleaned and reinstalled double checked for tightness

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
It could be the clutch switch that is out of adjustment with the car thinking that the clutch pedal is not fully depressed.

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
Do you have carpeting, may have bunched up under clutch pedal.

Semperfi3069

Sep 26, 2008
Hendersonville, NC
Your headed in the right direction , have had a couple of these before on different cars.

SemperFi

"A man is like steel, if he looses his temper, he looses his strength"

Aug 25, 2006
I changed the battery ( a new red top optima, yes fully charged per my smart charger). Old battery had shorted cell. I have lights, horns, bells, etc, but push start button and nothing! Any ideas out there? Car started bfore

She does not spin or ?

Shadowman

LONEWATTE

GT Owner
Dec 7, 2006
West Palm Beach,Fl
Nothing but a click when you push the button, have had ground off sanded and cleaned several times now. All other items seem to function.

Derry

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
buffalo, NY
Long shot but I have had a smartcharger kill the cells in two reqular lead acid batteries in a row before I figured it out. Are you sure of the new battery's output?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Nothing but a click when you push the button, have had ground off sanded and cleaned several times now. All other items seem to function.

'Sounds like, for whatever reason, the battery doesn't have sufficient juice to power the starter. Those starters draw quit a bit. If you hear a "click" when the started button is pushed, then obviously the circuit TO the starter is okay. There just may be enough charge to run the accessories you mentioned, but NOT the starter.

I think Derry is onto something.

H

HHGT

Followed the recommendation from Kendall on a similar scenario. Undid the terminals off the battery and put her on a slow 2 amp. Slow charged for 2/3 days. Voltage came back all the way up. Hooked the terminals up and she started up without any incidence and still fine to this day.

Now I know I'm gonna catch hell from you guys for this but here goes. All my cars use Cooltech's Battery Tender. Two of them consistently showed flashing red light - meaning not charging. I found out later that the electrical lead from the battery tender was mistakenly plugged into the dust cover and not the femael/male end of the connector. Why? Because when I plugged them in I did not have my glasses on. So flame away.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
I like the cigarette receptacle the best; you can attach while in Black Tie or blind.

H

HHGT

I like the cigarette receptacle the best; you can attach while in Black Tie or blind.

How can you tell the color of your tie if your blind? And why would you own a car if your blind?:wink

On a different topic, have you seen the drive thru ATM machines at Bank of America? Instructions are in braille :willy

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I found out later that the electrical lead from the battery tender was mistakenly plugged into the dust cover and not the femael/male end of the connector. Why? Because when I plugged them in I did not have my glasses on. So flame away.

If you'd been driving a BMW, an i-d-i-o-t light woulda come on and TOLD you that you had screwed up the 1st time!!!!!!! 'Woulda saved ya a lotta grief! :rofl :banana

I'm jus' rotten to the core...

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
I recently had an issue with a perfectly good battery maintainer on a non-GT car. Because of slight corrosion between the battery post and the main cable connectors the maintainer lost an adequate connection to the battery sometime over the winter. Result was a dead battery. A cleaning of the post/cable interface and a recharge brought the battery back to life, but the lesson was learned. Prior a long battery storage check for zero corrosion at the posts.

Howard

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Would it hurt to try a jump pack?

H

HHGT

If you'd been driving a BMW, an i-d-i-o-t light woulda come on and TOLD you that you had screwed up the 1st time!!!!!!! 'Woulda saved ya a lotta grief! :rofl :banana

I'm jus' rotten to the core...

Oh shutup pockets:wink

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Semper Fi

Your headed in the right direction , have had a couple of these before on different cars.

SemperFi

Gentlemen,

SemperFi3069 is one of the finest GT Ford Dealership Master Technicians in the country. His name is Dexter Allen, he works at Power Ford of North Scottsdale, and takes care of dozens of FGTs. He is the only tech at that dealership who ever touches a GT. I advise our membership to note his screen name, especially those members in Arizona. We hope to see you on here more often. There's never enough Marines. I'll see you soon.

Chip

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Would it hurt to try a jump pack?

In light of recent events - one word of possible concern: gauges. :willy:willy:willy