Need SC Snout

Kelly-X1

Ex GT Owner (Temporarily)
Mark IV Lifetime
May 24, 2009
RV-Nomad, USA
I had a bearing failure on my Supercharger snout at the Shelby Bash, melted my pulley and other stuff, :frown I'll never get rid of the smell. Anyway, Kendall has my car in LA and wants me to see if anyone has either a Kenny Bell replacement snout or an OEM SC snout they will sell, I prefer polished, since the SC is polished.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Kelly

Kelly-X1

Mark IV Lifetime
May 24, 2009
RV-Nomad, USA
Forgot the mandatory pics.

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 200
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 195
  • photo3.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 195

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Kelly posted the pictures I sent him... good thing we can't post odors (yet). This is one of the foulest smelling failures I've run across. YUCK!

It looks like Kelly's car experienced a bearing failure right up at the front of the snout. The failure and subsequent friction caused a huge amount of heat. The heat caused the rubber isolator dougnut to literally melt into the SC oil which resulted in a thick, smelly, syrupy, black goo. Mother nature's own skunk scent has very little over what this unique concoction smells like.

More seriously, I will consult with a machine shop as well as our own Shadowman about the viability of repairing the bearing in this snout. The heat/destruction half-pushed the bearing out of its seat and the thrust washer was just hoppin' around behind the pulley.

I conveyed to Kelly that one of the safest repairs would be to install a new snout - either OEM or Kenne Bell if we found one available. We are just exploring options at this point. The car is a GTX1 - otherwise a Whipple may be a stong contender at this point.

TallCarGuy

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 2, 2006
Santa Ynez, California
Sounds like its time for a Whipple......

Richard Hille
The GT School

Kelly-X1

Mark IV Lifetime
May 24, 2009
RV-Nomad, USA
Might be an option, I'm not familiar with the requirements and mods to fit it under the X1 shell. I'll work on that education.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
We have a polished Kenny Bell snout I can sell you Kelly. Give me a call tomorrow and we will get you taken care of....

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2006
I had a bearing failure on my Supercharger snout at the Shelby Bash, melted my pulley and other stuff, :frown I'll never get rid of the smell. Anyway, Kendall has my car in LA and wants me to see if anyone has either a Kenny Bell replacement snout or an OEM SC snout they will sell, I prefer polished, since the SC is polished.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Kelly

Hi Kelly

It as I suspected when Kendall called me ......... I am sorry for this however for all reading this rest assured that this was "not" a typical or expected failure but rather likely as the result of the process used when the polishing and the smaller pulley was installed.

I have no OEM snouts however I do have OEM superchargers

Takes care

Shadowman

Kelly-X1

Mark IV Lifetime
May 24, 2009
RV-Nomad, USA
We have a polished Kenny Bell snout I can sell you Kelly. Give me a call tomorrow and we will get you taken care of....

Big thanks to Shelby for getting me taken care of at a fair price.

Cheers,

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Big thanks to Shelby for getting me taken care of at a fair price.

Cheers,

:thumbsup Does the Kenny Bell snout look much different than the OEM?

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
:thumbsup Does the Kenny Bell snout look much different than the OEM?

It does look different.

Kelly, you are welcome. I try to help anyone when ever I can (as many will confirm), but especially when the buyer is a repeat customer. Thank you for your continued business! :thumbsup