Need rear tires

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I have the Stillen mud flags and drive through rocks with impunity. During street driving the R6s never get hot and gummy, still I try never to follow Ed Sims too closely. :lol

They are DOT approved tires. :biggrin

I find semi-trucks worst the sports cars with Hoosiers, especially those hauling dirt, rocks, concrete, etc. :ack

Last edited:

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Yes, DOT approved.

"WARNING: DOT labeled Hoosier Racing Tires meet Department of Transportation requirements for marking and performance only and are NOT INTENDED FOR HIGHWAY USE. It is unsafe to operate any Hoosier Racing Tire, including DOT tires, on public roads. The prohibited use of Hoosier Racing Tires on public roadways may result in loss of traction, unexpected loss of vehicle control, or sudden loss of tire pressure, resulting in a vehicle crash and possible injury or death."

I don't care about the injury or death crap, but these are racing slicks and are bad for anyone behind you.

On second thought, I do care about the injury or death part, because the rocks you're throwing could cause mine.

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I don't care about the injury or death crap, but these are racing slicks and are bad for anyone behind you.

They help prevent tailgaters. :biggrin

Last edited:

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Gaters. Not prevent. Eliminate.

Hoosiera.jpg

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I've seen much worst when I ran off into the gravel at a track with racing tires. Covered with little pebbles and they were stuck in there pretty well. Needed a pick to remove them.

Last edited:

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Ok, Clinton. I know a lot of guys run them. And recommend them here. But, there is no way to rationalize them for the street.

If you drive fast enough, you don't need a pick for most of them. They fly out on their own. The big ones anyway.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
My rational is I don't drive in the rain, or enough for tire wear to matter, so Hoosier work better and last just as long and cost less. Sound like a win except for those in my rear view mirror. I replaced 2 sets of GY bases on time alone. Plenty of tread were left on the tires.

MTDGT

GT Owner
Apr 6, 2006
Thanks, just to be clear they fit my stock rims? (Bridgestones)

Last edited:

MTDGT

GT Owner
Apr 6, 2006
What do you think of them?

MTDGT

GT Owner
Apr 6, 2006
I'll get back to you, it sounds like I need to try Bridgestone's
at least once

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Yes they fit stock rims

Thanks, just to be clear they fit my stock rims? (Bridgestones)

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Stock wheels, Bridgestones . Aftermarket wheels, (19's front 20's rear) Michelins IMO.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
For the OP: To be clear, with OEM wheels, your ONLY street legal options (if you wish to maintain close to the OEM diameter and width) are the OEM Goodyears or the Bridgestones.

That is all. No ifs, ands, or buts.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
What makes the Bridgesrones so good?

Grip?
Noise?
Wheel feedback?
Wear?

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Yes on 1-3, especially 1-2

Not sure about #4

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
1. The Bridgestones have a bigger footprint, so presumably dry traction is better. Maybe the race car drivers can say if they have improved lap times. I have never seen a skid pad test to prove anything. They seem just as easy to break loose from a standing start. All summer performance tires are bad in cold weather. The Bridgestones are better in the cold. The Goodyears turn into hockey pucks in the cold.

2. Very much quieter, especially on concrete.

3. Slightly heavier steering feel (wider tires), but I don't notice any better feel.

4. The rears seem to be wearing faster, but I'm still on the first set so too early to tell. Our wheels are the minimum width for the rear tires. In theory, that might cause uneven wear (faster in the center). I run 28 psi to compensate.

With a wider tread section, the Bridgestones might produce more tramlining. We have good roads in Florida, so I have not noticed any tramlining.

I can't say which is better on wet roads. I've driven a lot in the rain, but I'm extremely cautious in the rain.

The Goodyears went over 200 mph for hundreds of miles. I think it's fair to say they are safe at high speeds. I have read that Goodyear certified them at 205 mph, which is the reason we have a speed limiter. IDK what testing the Bridgestones had.

Subjectively, the Bridgestones look better. They also cost a lot less.

Some have said that the Bridgestones are a more modern technology. I have not seen anything to back that claim. The rears were made for the Enzo, so that makes them older than the Goodyears, unless there have been changes over the years.

I think everyone recognizes that any new set of tires immediately feels better than the old worn out set. New Bridgestones feel better than worn out Goodyears. New Goodyears feel better than worn out Goodyears.

I still have Goodyears on one set of wheels. I'm happy with Goodyears. I'm happy with Bridgestones. I'm just happy every time I get in the GT.

My next set of tires will be Bridgestones, based on cost, noise and appearance. Unless I get a good deal on Goodyears.

Last edited:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I notice a big improvement in traction with the Bridgestones on the street. The OEM Goodyears grip fine when they have plenty of heat in them. The same is true for the G:2s on the GT500. The problem is that they are rarely brought up to the necessary temperature on the street. I notice a little bit of tramlining with the wider front tires, but nothing objectionable, and certainly nothing like the 285s I have on the front on my GT500.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Xcentric, Great summation.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I notice a big improvement in traction with the Bridgestones on the street.

I recall you displaying an extreme lack of traction in Naples. Or is that your method for getting the tires up to temperature? :cool:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I recall you displaying an extreme lack of traction in Naples. Or is that your method for getting the tires up to temperature? :cool:

I was just cleaning them.