Need Help!

PHXGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
I went this morning for my GT's annual emission testing. They told me that the On Board Diagnostic (OBDII) was not "ready". They said that I needed to make several driving cycles over the next few days and come back. I have not driven the car in a month, so I will make a point to drive for a few days. Have any of you had this issue? Any other suggestions? Is this normal after a month of not driving or is this another electrical gremlin?

Thanks.

dbackg

dbackg
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2009
Tempe, AZ
Why are you going through emissions?

Have your insurance agent/company issue an Arizona DMV emission exemption letter/form for classic & collector cars.

Click on link below
http://www.azleg.state.az.us/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/49/00542.htm&Title=49&DocType=ARS

House Bill 2357 - Arizona Revised Statute (ARS 49-542AA)
AA. For the purposes of this section, "collectible vehicle" means a vehicle that complies with both of the following:

1. EITHER:
(a) Bears a model year date of original manufacture that is at least fifteen years old.
(b) Is of unique or rare design, of limited production and an object of curiosity.
2. Meets both of the following criteria:
(a) Is maintained primarily for use in car club activities, exhibitions, parades or other functions of public interest or for a private collection and is used only infrequently for other purposes.
(b) Has a collectible vehicle or classic automobile insurance coverage that restricts the collectible vehicle mileage or use, or both, and requires the owner to have another vehicle for personal use.

ObeyMyFast!

GT Owner's son
May 5, 2009
San Diego
^ I wish they had that in Cali...

FLY GT40

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2006
So. Ca.
I went this morning for my GT's annual emission testing. They told me that the On Board Diagnostic (OBDII) was not "ready". They said that I needed to make several driving cycles over the next few days and come back. I have not driven the car in a month, so I will make a point to drive for a few days. Have any of you had this issue? Any other suggestions? Is this normal after a month of not driving or is this another electrical gremlin?

Thanks.

Sounds like your gal wants to be driven more.:driving: It is a shame we have to be bothered with smog tests on cars that don't get driven much and could not be contributing any significant amount pollutants to the envirnment.:mad:rolleyes Good luck with what is probobly just a computer issue.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Did you have the battery disconnected? Whatever the case, for some reason your ECU has been reset and needs to go through its test cycles. At least 75 miles with the gas tank between 1/4 and 3/4. Good reason to go for a drive.

GT38

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 19, 2008
Glendale, Arizona
Greg, did you do this with your GT? I've got several cars that were exempted from emissions tests under this law, including my SPF GT40 and SPF Daytona Coupe which are only five years old. But those two are exempt because they are titled as 1966 and 1965 cars respectively (one of the few good things about Arizona registration). I never thought to try to exempt the GT from emissions, but I'm coming up for renewal in mid-October. Can't imagine it's easy to convince DMV though, even with the insurance policy in hand. If only we could get the license tax on the GT reduced! I just took advantage of the new five-year registration on the GT40 and paid $115.75, vs $29.75 for one year.

Why are you going through emissions?

Have your insurance agent/company issue an Arizona DMV emission exemption letter/form for classic & collector cars.

Click on link below
http://www.azleg.state.az.us/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/49/00542.htm&Title=49&DocType=ARS

House Bill 2357 - Arizona Revised Statute (ARS 49-542AA)
AA. For the purposes of this section, "collectible vehicle" means a vehicle that complies with both of the following:

1. EITHER:
(a) Bears a model year date of original manufacture that is at least fifteen years old.
(b) Is of unique or rare design, of limited production and an object of curiosity.
2. Meets both of the following criteria:
(a) Is maintained primarily for use in car club activities, exhibitions, parades or other functions of public interest or for a private collection and is used only infrequently for other purposes.
(b) Has a collectible vehicle or classic automobile insurance coverage that restricts the collectible vehicle mileage or use, or both, and requires the owner to have another vehicle for personal use.

PHXGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks for all the good info.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I guess EP never had to pass a smog test. It never could have gotten the miles required.

Last edited:

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
^ I wish they had that in Cali...

Could not agree more!

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I guess EP never had to pass a smog test. It never could have gotten the miles required.

I'm no expert on such matters, but doesn't an engine actually need to be running to do this test? :)

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Neilda, the engine does not have to be on. They plug their computer smog detector into the ODB port and it checks for thrown codes. No codes, you pass for the next two years.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I think EP ran the engine in his garage. However the onboard OBDII test needs road miles to complete and pass. EP would be unlikely to ever get the miles needed to complete the test cycle, so if his car was hookup up to a test maching, it would have failed!

Aug 25, 2006

Thanks.

I missed this thread; sorry

Have you resolved the issue?

If not call me and I can assist

Takes care

Shadowman

dbackg

dbackg
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2009
Tempe, AZ
Greg, did you do this with your GT? I've got several cars that were exempted from emissions tests under this law, including my SPF GT40 and SPF Daytona Coupe which are only five years old. But those two are exempt because they are titled as 1966 and 1965 cars respectively (one of the few good things about Arizona registration). I never thought to try to exempt the GT from emissions, but I'm coming up for renewal in mid-October. Can't imagine it's easy to convince DMV though, even with the insurance policy in hand. If only we could get the license tax on the GT reduced! I just took advantage of the new five-year registration on the GT40 and paid $115.75, vs $29.75 for one year.

Jeff did you get the GT exempted from the emissions test?

gtinmyblood

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 23, 2007
Mesa Az/Aspen Co
My GT and all of my collector fleet are exempt from Emissions in AZ because of the Collector insurance rule. Have been ever since the rule went into effect.