need help with pulley and program...

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Good question. I am delighted with my GT Guys-installed Heffner tune (and pulley). I assume it is a 91 octane tune, but 93 is all we have in Jersey. Am I leaving something on the table? Is it worth the trouble to install a 93 tune?

Howard

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Just curious if any 91 guys have tried the 93 tune?

That will net you more power with more spark advance you just need to make sure you have the octane in the fuel to get away with it.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Not men doesn't seem like a prudent move.

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
I have also done a SCT-Tune only, you get over 600 hp, plenty for me.

With the SCT-Tune only, is the 600hp at the crank or at the rear wheel? just wondering.

thx

GTED

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
600 rwhp is the minimum. Do a search, lots of hard data to be read. :)

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
600 rwhp is the minimum. Do a search, lots of hard data to be read. :)

Thanks BONY.

That's the thing. I just started to read someof the searched threads and noted that on average the Pulley + Tune puts out ~620rwhp. So if Tune-only puts out ~600rwhp, it means the Pulley only give ~20rwhp. I would have expected the pulley itself would provide more hp than the tune....

Thx

GTED

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
I would have expected the pulley itself would provide more hp than the tune....

Thx

GTED

It does.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Opps,misread your post. With the tune only maybe 600 at the crank.

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
Dyno numbers should only be an indication. Different dynos, weather conditions, fuels etc make it impossible to draw conclusive comparisons between different cars with different set ups.

Also we have seen quite a varietyof numbers for stock cars, so the starting point is not always the same.

On my car the Ford racing pulley and tune gave a gain of 80hp and 105ft/lbs AT THE CRANK over stock.

At Roush they did the 2 runs before and after. I have looked for the dyno graphs to post the differences but cannot find the "before" chart anymore (sorry, we moved 4 weeks ago and I must have displaced it).

I hope this helps.

Heffner Performance

*Supporting Vendor*
Supporting Vendor
Feb 22, 2006
Dyno numbers are one thing but it's the seat of the pants difference is what really matters. For anyone interested I would be happy to send you a pulley and tune to try out. If you like it....pay me. If not....send it back. This applies to forum members only. Who's in??????

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Thanks Jason, may I suggest you start a thread so that members can see this amazing offer.

By the way, I purchased your pulley and tune and was 110% happy and I think I pulled with California gas 630rwhp after installing the tune, pulley and exhaust.

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
Dyno numbers are one thing but it's the seat of the pants difference is what really matters. For anyone interested I would be happy to send you a pulley and tune to try out. If you like it....pay me. If not....send it back. This applies to forum members only. Who's in??????

Jason,

With an offer like this, you are going to get me in trouble at home, real fast...:rofl

GTED

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
I have Jason's 2.7" pulley and tune, along with the accufab billet TBI, K&N filters and of course, his gorgeous Cat Back exhaust.

From a seat of the pants perspective, the power difference was as profound as the sound difference with the new exhaust. I cannot imagine ever wanting to go back to stock for either.

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
How much is the pulley only? Is it steel and what diameter is it?

Heffner Performance

*Supporting Vendor*
Supporting Vendor
Feb 22, 2006
The pulley itself is $600. They are aluminum and 2.75" diameter.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
The seat of the pants difference with the pulley/tune is immense. You'll hear a ton of guys saying this is the way the car should have come from the factory. They could be correct, but you'd have to ratchet up the number of immediately wrecked GT's by another 50%.

The stock car has more than enough power to get you into trouble. However, I don't think I would qualify the stock car as powerful enough to put you into a spin just hammering it from 30-40 mph. Certainly when there is warm weather, you will not spin the tires at those speeds with the stock tires. With just the pulley and tune, you will not only be able to spin the tires, you will be able to roast them off. And it is power that I would qualify as being enough surprise anyone if they were not paying 100% attention, even going straight.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
The seat of the pants difference with the pulley/tune is immense. You'll hear a ton of guys saying this is the way the car should have come from the factory. They could be correct, but you'd have to ratchet up the number of immediately wrecked GT's by another 50%.

The stock car has more than enough power to get you into trouble. However, I don't think I would qualify the stock car as powerful enough to put you into a spin just hammering it from 30-40 mph. Certainly when there is warm weather, you will not spin the tires at those speeds with the stock tires. With just the pulley and tune, you will not only be able to spin the tires, you will be able to roast them off. And it is power that I would qualify as being enough surprise anyone if they were not paying 100% attention, even going straight.

Dave hit the nail on the head as always. The car really comes alive with this combo and 600whp is nothing to sneeze at, its way too easy for people to get all bent out of shape about dyno numbers when they cant even conceptualize the car at this power level. Let alone beyond that.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I'd definitely be willing to wager that I was faster around the track when my car made 592 than it does now that it makes about 300 more. At least with me in it.

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta

That ^^^^ post should be made into a sticky. Truer words have never been written.

Last edited:

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
The pulley itself is $600. They are aluminum and 2.75" diameter.

How do you measure the diameter? With a belt wrapped around it? At the root of the grooves or 1/2 way between the root and top? Or half way into the belt thickness? I can't figure it out???????