need a new toy

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
...she made a comment something to the effect that there was, "...just no graceful, lady-like way to enter/exit that car"! ....)

Definitely an advantage for a gentleman.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Imagine if all your friends were Empty Pockets. How dull would that be.

I think you meant, "...were LIKE Empty Pockets", but, no matter - I take umbrage. Pistols at dawn...at your place...'cause you have the bigger property...an' 'wouldn't want your stray shot hittin' a neighbor.

Definitely an advantage for a gentleman.

..."for a gentleman???" RALPHIE! Yeeew ought to be ashamed uh whut you be thinkin'!

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
Okay...this pinhead is now offishully confused. Is it realistic to think your Mrs. is actually going to drive the new toy on occasion? :confused If so, you might wanna see how she feels about having to pole vault over the Viper's 3' wide door sills whenever she drives/rides in a it! :biggrin I don't know about ones on the newer models, but I seem to remember the 'sills on older ones were substantial. 'Just something to consider.

(THEE main reason Pockets doesn't have a Superformance GT40 MK I being built right now is because wifey had a tough time getting into one (passenger side is more cramped than driver's side as you probably know) AND she actually needed a bit of help getting OUT. The 18" 'sills on that car played no small role in creating the problem.) (As I recall, she made a comment something to the effect that there was, "...just no graceful, lady-like way to enter/exit that car"! Of course, the arthritis in her knee was no big help either...)

"pinhead" you weren't calling me that, were you?
if you had read the post and understood the post, you would realize that my wife cannot drive a standard and that would make a viper a "no go" for her to drive (she does not like vipers at all). she would like an automatic challenger to be an option on the list of potential cars. and yes, she would drive any toy car that is an automatic, probably more than me.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
"pinhead" you weren't calling me that, were you?
if you had read the post and understood the post, you would realize that my wife cannot drive a standard and that would make a viper a "no go" for her to drive (she does not like vipers at all). she would like an automatic challenger to be an option on the list of potential cars. and yes, she would drive any toy car that is an automatic, probably more than me.

I thought it obvious that "this pinhead" referred to the scribe - me! (At least I thought it was obvious...)

Though your Mrs. presently can't drive a 'stick', it doesn't mean that will always be the case - hence the reference to her, "driv(ing)/rid(ing) in (the Viper)". In any event, the 'sills present the same tactical obstacle for her on either side of a Viper...which is why I mentioned that.

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
I thought it obvious that "this pinhead" referred to the scribe - me! (At least I thought it was obvious...)

Though your Mrs. presently can't drive a 'stick', it doesn't mean that will always be the case - hence the reference to her, "driv(ing)/rid(ing) in (the Viper)". In any event, the 'sills present the same tactical obstacle for her on either side of a Viper...which is why I mentioned that.

gotcha on both. she will never be able to navigate a standard. she's an awesome dancer but doesn't have the correct rhythm for a standard car.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
If she likes the Camaro, she may really like the CTS-V. Corvette-like performance but with a much nicer interior and more practicality.

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
If she likes the Camaro, she may really like the CTS-V. Corvette-like performance but with a much nicer interior and more practicality.

i will check it out. is there room in the rear seats for a small adult? she liked the challenger over the mustang because of this

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
is there room in the rear seats for a small adult?

IMO, overall rear seat room is marginal at best for most adults. Rear seat head room is especially limited by the 'swoopy' roof line. So, I guess it all depends on how "small" of an adult you're talking about...and whether he/she's long waisted or long legged too for that matter.

Last edited:

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
i was hoping the viper owners on this site would chime in on this
"went for a drive in a 2008 viper. i found it very raw and rough. is this normal with these cars?"

Try the ACR, it has the KW adjustable shocks and once the down force kicks in at around 60 miles per hour it is well planted on the road. If the KWs are adjusted for street, they have a softer ride than the conventional GenIV shocks.

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
guys, thanks for all the help.
we, or i should say, she decided on and bought the challenger 392 inaugural edition. white with blue strips.(just sold my white with blue stripe 1966 mustang fastback shelby clone. colour scheme must be stuck in her head)
now its time to look for performance upgrades. like to get it up to 550hp.
looks like i will have to get my but in gear and decide on which lift to buy for the garage. got it narrowed down to bendpak or quality lifts.

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
we, or i should say, she decided on and bought the challenger 392 inaugural edition. white with blue strips.(just sold my white with blue stripe 1966 mustang fastback shelby clone. colour scheme must be stuck in her head)
looks like i will have to get my but in gear and decide on which lift to buy for the garage. got it narrowed down to bendpak or quality lifts.

:rofl It's like you couldn't get the description out of the way fast enough to get to the "now its time to look for performance upgrades... 550hp". Excellent.

Congrats:banana

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Post pics when it arrives! Thats one lucky lady!!

andymlow

GT Owner
May 17, 2007
Sarasota, FL
How about a used Mercedes CL 63, 600 or 65? Fast, comfortable, in warranty, reliable and already depreciated. The 63's seem to run around 60k.

This one caught my eye:

http://www.mercedesbenzhoustonnorth...&preauctionsearch=&fromSearchList&PhotoType=1

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
drove our new 392 challenger around this weekend. i forgot how much fun an automatic car with a little bit of hp is to drive. i will need new rear tires before summer is done
i will post pics this weekend.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
i was hoping the viper owners on this site would chime in on this
"went for a drive in a 2008 viper. i found it very raw and rough. is this normal with these cars?"
I have a Viper SRT10 Gen IV Roadster in my stable and it's exactly what you describe. Raw, brute, pure muscle, but an insane car! Handling is superb, lots of oversteer - in fact maybe too much for the average driver as it has a tendency to make its driver over-confident until it bites and when it does, it bites hard with serious venom and consequence! This is car not for the faint of heart, which explains why many have been wrecked days after owning them. It is a serous handler with a ton of (non-linear) power - LOL with brakes/power and steering to die for! I wouldn't trade her in for much out there...but I do have a lot of respect for this thing. It's kind of like riding a super sport bike at speed, where when you don't pay attention, you die. Not an easy car to drive well, but...short of my GT, nothing our there that will give you that feel when you take her out to play. I'll buy a Gen IV if they're anything like the Gen IV.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
1st thing - change the rear for a 355...and that'll wake her up big time over the 307's. Belanger exhaust/headers/high flow cats will give you a pile more power as well...and if they exist for this car, a mopar race computer should also add more ponies! With those mods, you'd have what you want in terms of added power and punch! Enjoy and good luck!

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Wait for Camaro ZL1....eats pavement

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
I've owned 9 Vipers and don't feel they are that raw or rough. The were not built to be cruisers. You can feel the road when you drive but they also have a lot of raw power.

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
a few pics of the new toy.
had to add a couple of lifts for more storage as well

View attachment 22405View attachment 22406View attachment 22407

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
a few pics of the new toy.
had to add a couple of lifts for more storage as well

View attachment 22405View attachment 22406View attachment 22407

"Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator"