need a new toy

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
sold my 1966 shelby gt 350 clone last week. looking for something to replace it. went for a drive in a 2008 viper. i found it very raw and rough. is this normal with these cars? if so, i will have to look at something else. wife wants to get an automatic challenger srt8 392 (white with blue strips with matching interior) so she has the option of driving it (she cannot operate a standard). any opinions on these cars? we thought mustang, but way to many of them on the road.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I never thought I would say this being a die hard Ford man, but we wanted something American made when the MINI Cooper S had the 3rd $4,000 repair in 18 months (good riddance you POS car).

We got a RS/SS Camaro coupe. Has a nice feel to it, comfortable to drive with a humongous trunk. Fast but not breathtaking if you know what I mean. Ours is the Automatic with the paddle shifters since it will be a daily driver and traffic here is brutal.

We are leaving it stock but if I were to modify it, I would do exhaust, wider wheels and rubber and firm up the suspension. Personally I think that GM did a good job catching the look and feel of the 68'/69' and you have all of today's amenities.

IMHO

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
Camaro ZL1. Available in early 2012. Same awesome 556 hp engine as in my CTS-V. Will come with an auto transmission. Should be pretty rare.

dbackg

dbackg
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2009
Tempe, AZ

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
According to camaro5.com, an optional automatic will be offered in the 2012 Camaro ZL1...and according another source (can't remember who right now) the stock ZL1 will likely produce around 575 h.p. instead of the 550-556 origionally reported. So, you might wanna wait for a short-short and see what finally shakes out there before opting for the lesser powered 392 SRT8. (The Challenger is something like 400 lbs(?) heavier than the Camaro too as I recall.)

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
I sold my 2007 GT500 and traded in my 2010 Taurus SHO last week(it was a lease). I replaced them with a 2011 Ford Fiesta.

I know not too exciting, but a great commuter car.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
whitecamaro3-550x305.jpg2012 Wide body Chevy Camaro ZL1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNB831f7k38

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh...........................nooo.

H

HHGT

I never thought I would say this being a die hard Ford man, but we wanted something American made when the MINI Cooper S had the 3rd $4,000 repair in 18 months (good riddance you POS car).

I thought BMW owned MINI and that they were a gift from the GODS. I also thought BMW made products had the lowest cost of ownership?

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
i was hoping the viper owners on this site would chime in on this
"went for a drive in a 2008 viper. i found it very raw and rough. is this normal with these cars?"

rdjmp

GT Owner
Feb 6, 2011
DFW Texas
My wife has a 2SS/RS stick Camaro and absolutely loves it. She's owned many sport and sporty cars and her two all-time favorites are her GT and her Camaro.

It was both entertaining and frustrating trying to buy exactly what she wanted - stick (not auto + bigger hp) and no sunroof (better roof lines + it's Texas! A sunroof is useful maybe 3 days a year!). Walked out of the first two dealerships while they tried convince the "Little Missy" she'd prefer an auto trans and would weary of all that tiresome rowing through the gears. Seems like when a female walks up and states precisely her needs even with order codes and cash in hand it would clue even the most obtuse caveman that she was a driver and knew what she needed. Oh well, she got what she wanted and absolutely loves it. Planning engine mods now that enough months of warranty have passed to know everything's tight.

I have a '99 and an '08 Viper. Blunt instruments but fun if you need to bludgeon anything.

Last edited:

Joe Dozzo

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2006
Canon City, CO
There are a couple threads in the archives comparing the GT to Vipers, you might find them useful.

I've owned several Vipers, including a 2008 and still own a 1996. I want to say the Vipers are a lot more "crude" than the GT's but I also don't want to leave the impression I didn't like the Viper. The 2008 - to me - was a big disappointment even though it's generally the near epitome on the current Viper tree. If one compares the 08 Viper to a 96 GTS (or earlier) EVERYTHING about the 08 is better than the 96. Faster, handles better stops faster. Looks are more subjective (I prefer the earlier 96 GTS, but that's me).

Compared to the GT, the 08 I had - even with suspension upgrades (Moton's and Eibach's) - was a disappointment in most aspects. Any Viper has more off idle grunt than a GT (only considering stock for stock now) but after that the GT is far more refined in evry road-going aspects. Just driving down the road, the Viper seemed "bouncy", less glued to / stable on the road. Can't blame it all on big tires / tramlining because the GT is no slouch in the wide tire department.

I'll let someone with more track experience than me speak to that comparison.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
My wife has a 2SS/RS stick Camaro and absolutely loves it. She's owned many sport and sporty cars and her two all-time favorites are her GT and her Camaro.

It was both entertaining and frustrating trying to buy exactly what she wanted - stick (not auto + bigger hp) and no sunroof (better roof lines + it's Texas! A sunroof is useful maybe 3 days a year!). Walked out of the first two dealerships while they tried convince the "Little Missy" she'd prefer an auto trans and would weary of all that tiresome rowing through the gears. Seems like when a female walks up and states precisely her needs even with order codes and cash in hand it would clue even the most obtuse caveman that she was a driver and knew what she needed. Oh well, she got what she wanted and absolutely loves it. Planning engine mods now that enough months of warranty have passed to know everything's tight.

Ours is my wife's DD also. It too is a 2SS/RS but with the sunroof. I am the one who suggested the auto and with the paddle shifter option, I like it, sporty when you want it auto when you are inching along on I-5.

I thought BMW owned MINI and that they were a gift from the GODS. I also thought BMW made products had the lowest cost of ownership?

Um no. Our MINI experience was miserable from day one. The dealership runs a racket. They call it a "treatment plan" when they tell you your car that is worth $9K trade in needs $10K in repairs like they are physicians or something. I have one BMW and that will be enough for me.

Attachments

• 100_0952 2.JPG
    100_0952 2.JPG
    359.8 KB · Views: 323

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime

Except for the rubberband tires, I like it. Look better in another color IMHO

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I have one BMW and that will be enough for me.

Wifey sez :agree:

digman1

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 8, 2007
Dallas Texas
The Challenger would be a great ride. I had the first year SRT8 Charger and it was a blast. Challenger is same car just
rebodied. I had it for a 2 year lease, and it was trouble free, and very fast. They got the sound right between the intake
and exhaust, and it gives a great growl. I had a Challenger on order, until I found out that it was the same, right down
to the seats and dash, and I was ready for a change. I would not hesitate buying another, as I think the SRT line is a step
above what normally goes out the door. The new Durango SRT8 should be out soon.

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
The Challenger would be a great ride. I had the first year SRT8 Charger and it was a blast. Challenger is same car just
rebodied. I had it for a 2 year lease, and it was trouble free, and very fast. They got the sound right between the intake
and exhaust, and it gives a great growl. I had a Challenger on order, until I found out that it was the same, right down
to the seats and dash, and I was ready for a change. I would not hesitate buying another, as I think the SRT line is a step
above what normally goes out the door. The new Durango SRT8 should be out soon.

think i will wait til mid august to see what changes there are for the 2012 srt 392 challenger before i jump on the one we were looking at.

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
There are a couple threads in the archives comparing the GT to Vipers, you might find them useful.

I've owned several Vipers, including a 2008 and still own a 1996. I want to say the Vipers are a lot more "crude" than the GT's but I also don't want to leave the impression I didn't like the Viper. The 2008 - to me - was a big disappointment even though it's generally the near epitome on the current Viper tree. If one compares the 08 Viper to a 96 GTS (or earlier) EVERYTHING about the 08 is better than the 96. Faster, handles better stops faster. Looks are more subjective (I prefer the earlier 96 GTS, but that's me).

Compared to the GT, the 08 I had - even with suspension upgrades (Moton's and Eibach's) - was a disappointment in most aspects. Any Viper has more off idle grunt than a GT (only considering stock for stock now) but after that the GT is far more refined in evry road-going aspects. Just driving down the road, the Viper seemed "bouncy", less glued to / stable on the road. Can't blame it all on big tires / tramlining because the GT is no slouch in the wide tire department.

I'll let someone with more track experience than me speak to that comparison.

love the looks of the viper but i don't think i would be happy, in the long run, with the ride. i might see if i can take one and actually drive it before i strike it off the list.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
wife wants to get an automatic challenger srt8 392 (white with blue strips with matching interior) so she has the option of driving it (she cannot operate a standard).

love the looks of the viper but i don't think i would be happy, in the long run, with the ride. i might see if i can take one and actually drive it before i strike it off the list.

Okay...this pinhead is now offishully confused. Is it realistic to think your Mrs. is actually going to drive the new toy on occasion? :confused If so, you might wanna see how she feels about having to pole vault over the Viper's 3' wide door sills whenever she drives/rides in a it! :biggrin I don't know about ones on the newer models, but I seem to remember the 'sills on older ones were substantial. 'Just something to consider.

(THEE main reason Pockets doesn't have a Superformance GT40 MK I being built right now is because wifey had a tough time getting into one (passenger side is more cramped than driver's side as you probably know) AND she actually needed a bit of help getting OUT. The 18" 'sills on that car played no small role in creating the problem.) (As I recall, she made a comment something to the effect that there was, "...just no graceful, lady-like way to enter/exit that car"! Of course, the arthritis in her knee was no big help either...)

H

HHGT

I love my 96 Viper GTS - Unmolested, 4800 miles, original tires, with the factory stickers and paperwork. They made 1000! How many originals are out there?

Every car has a different personality. Imagine if all your friends were Empty Pockets. How dull would that be.