N00bie here with questions...

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
But IMHO one must be willing to be patient like the NC guy.......

It's no longer my two cents - I'm up to a nickel now.

If it takes three days to diagnose and fix a problem, so be it. Do it once and do it right. I live by a saying - "Dont assume anything- leave nothing to chance"

Regarding me being PATIENT - I am not nor ever been that. If you knew me you wouldn't state that. I get good service from Ford. Sorry you don't. Lookling at these posts it might be your attitude going into a question or request for help. Personally I give everybody one chance not knowing them. If they screw up - I own them. If not I'll follow their lead till they do.

BTW my car pulled 523 RWHP STOCK!:cheers

The car met and exceeded my expecations - FACT!

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
You guys remind me of the Corvette ZR1 owners a few years back who went around calling the ZR1 the supercar to end all supercars until they moved on and bought Vipers. Now many of the ZR1/Viper guys have moved on to the FGT with a few stopping back at the Chevy store for a Z06 or two.

Not surprisingly one finds new FGT owners on a FGT websight in a narcotic state of rapture lacking a real degree of objectivity gushing about their respective ownership experiences despite having repeatedly to spend unwanted amounts of time at the Ford dealership. IMHO most of the current FGT owners who frequent this sight will have moved on to the next thing in a few short years despite all present denials to the contrary. With the possible exception of those who paid 100K over MSRP and who are now lifetime FGT owners.

Two FGT engineers including the former head of the FGT program who also supplied the press cars have been quoted as stating to automotive writers for a major auto mag. that the FGT press cars were "supertuned" for the media which included increased boost. Furthermore every FGT owner who I know and also trust to be objective who has had their stock FGT tested on a chassis dyno are seeing between 445 and 465HP HP at the rear wheels in stock configuration equating to an average of about 500HP. I can't imagine anyone who owns a stock FGT getting on average 12.5 pounds of boost realisticlly thinks their FGTs are turning mid 11s in the quarter mile like many of the press cars did and still do.

Yes Bony, I am the guy who was and still is disappointed with my FGT, and Fords dealer support network for the car as well as the so called hotline which was closed on the next working day after most of the country celebrated Veterans day and whom never did return any of my calls for support. When I finally did reach them the highly trained tech referred to my car as a GT 40 and told me to call a tow truck. Wow I wonder how much training Ford invested in her? I can't sell the car until I resolve all the issues with it and I am certain the next owner will purchase a trouble free car. Or at least a car that will make it home to the new owners garage? I am not dumping my FGT headaches with this car on to the next guy.

So. Cal. Rebell is obvioulsy a hard core very experienced road race enthusiast and surfed over to this sight looking for objective opinions on a prospective purchase. Having started racing in Karts as a kid and having continued to road race for most of my life I gave him my opinion based on my ownership experience of a stock FGT and my driving experiences of a modified FGT.

I think everyone can agree the FGT has electric and timeless looks and was a great marketing success for Ford. I think we all agree that the FGT once modified with all the inherent quality control problems worked out one would expect with a brand new two year only car is a super car in every sense of the word. But IMHO one must be willing to be patient like the NC guy and a prospective FGT owner like So. Cal. Rebell cannot expect the FGT to have the quality control of a conventional or normal 160K car. The price tag and the quality control along with in most cases a startling lack of factory and dealer support are not equal to 160K. Ford earns it's living selling to the masses not typically selling to customers able to write checks for a 160K car.

IMHO So. Cal. Rebel being a hardcore former Viperdays guy would not be happy seriously road racing the FGT. As an example I still haven't heard anyone recommend him a tuner in Southern cal. to modify his FGT for road racing? Yet several exist in his area for the Viper and Vette. Of course Vettes are a dime a dozen and the Viper pales in comparison to the FGT in terms of looks but they are both IMHO more suited to what So. Cal. Rebel seems to be considering.

Anyone who reads your 23 posts can determine if you are a valid source for information about the GT. You obviously have a problem, and have not the slightest idea who the members of this site are. Many SUPPORTING members automobile resumes shadow yours. But thanks for trolling over here to enlighten us, we have been honored with you insightful educational remarks.

Those of us that visited the factory, or attended the rally had access to almost every person involved with the build of the car. Top executives attend our dinners, and share information. The VIP reception we received at Ford tops that of any factory tour I have ever made, having toured Italy, Germany factories and tuners as an owner, I think I am qualified comment.

The owners group is sharing great camaraderie. Will the Ford GT technology and performance become outdated in the years to come, no doubt it will? Will many of us buy other cars, sure so what, still don't understand your point? Worse case scenario for me is that the GT sits next to my Boss 429 or Boss 302 in the corner of my garage with other cars and I recall the great times and friendship I have made on this forum, anything wrong with that?

Now join in on a group hug and share the love...

Last edited:

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
I have watched three stock GT's on the dyno, one being mine. Two of them were at the 530hp mark and the third was 550hp corrected. The 550hp numgber was backed up on another dyno.
I paid $165,000.00 for mine and you right, I'm stuck with it.:thumbsup
I can't see me buying another supercar but I can see myself in a SPF GULF GT40 replica.

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Welcome to our world, go for the 2005 if the VIN number is later than ...500. Save yourself some money! Hope to meet you soon. Another word of advise: Drive the car a while before you make any mods. I think you will be impressed with the stock configuration. You'll have a better seat-of-the-pants baseline reference for any changes you make in the future.:cheers

timcantwell

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Thanks for standing up for us Bony.

I don't understand where Mr. "CSX" is coming from. As a guy who current owns over 30 vehicles, raced formula cars, superbikes, and sport cars, and currently owns a wide variety of sport, exotic and muscle cars, and as a licensed racer/instructor, (....wheh!) I have to say that my Ford GT's are my favorite!!! What's his problem with FGT? I don't get it!?!?!

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
I don't understand where Mr. "CSX" is coming from. As a guy who current owns over 30 vehicles, raced formula cars, superbikes, and sport cars, and currently owns a wide variety of sport, exotic and muscle cars, and as a licensed racer/instructor, (....wheh!) I have to say that my Ford GT's are my favorite!!! What's his problem with FGT? I don't get it!?!?!

You know, the more he posts, the more he looks like a troll. He is probably some kid on a computer. Everything said is inaccurate, and he just seems to have a grudge against a GT. Maybe he is a Ferrari Salesman that lost a commission.:wink

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.

I can only say this after meeting you, you seem the be a genuine nice car guy with a wide range of automotive interests and without an axe to grind or any agenda except enjoying your hobby and life... works for me. Glad to know you.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
You know, the more he posts, the more he looks like a troll. He is probably some kid on a computer. Everything said is inaccurate, and he just seems to have a grudge against a GT. Maybe he is a Ferrari Salesman that lost a commission.:wink

Correct conclusion.
Well, I think the bird will come down and give you a cigar and $200.
My favorite old time tv show was Groucho Marx.

RedGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 21, 2006
Foxfield, Colorado
His first posts were looking to buy a GT and then he posts how unhappy he is because Ford didn't send out a field tech like the dealer told him they would. You think he would have questioned the dealer a little more or searched this forum to verify that Ford would send out field techs for every little problem. He seems to know cars, so I am surprised he would believe a dealer's promises without doing some research. Maybe that's his problem: he's pissed because he was so gullible.

CSX 2104

GT Owner
Aug 9, 2006
Las Vegas
Never said I was a licensed driving instructor or raced superbikes. I have no idea where that is coming from?

Don't own or sell Ferrrai's probably never will. Not impressed with current Mercedes cars quality or service. Think the current Vette and Vipers are far superior cars for the road racing purposes S. Cal. Rebell needs.

Not a troll just of average height about 50 years old thanks for asking.

Won't disrespect any member of this forum and resort to returning the insults hurled at me.

Here is my complete FGT history since it seems to be of interest to some on this sight.
When I read about Ford building the car I went down to my Ford dealer where I or the folks that work for me and that I personally brought in to this dealership purchased over 40 cars in a four year period. Not including the Bullitt, 04 Mach 1 and 03 SVT Cobra I purchased for my Ford collection. I was told that the owner and his son were getting the first two FGTs and that the third was sold to Sammy Hagar who had never purchased a car from this dealership before. I said OK sell me the fourth one you get. They said fine it's yours as long as I agreed to pay 50K over MSRP which when I complained they were a little flexible on. But no deal was consumated since I wouldn't pay a penny over MSRP.

The first one arrived in 05 and the owner took delivery and immediately had problems with the car. As a matter of fact the car spent over a month in the owners service department. The service manager who is a friend of mine was pulling his hair out he was so upset at Ford for their lack of support in resolving all the problems. The car was now offered to me at 25K over MSRP to which I declined.

This dealers second FGT was delivered a few months later and the owners son took delivery and subsequently took me for a ride and after spending about a half hour in the car my impression and his was that the car was a dog when considering it was reputed to have 550 HP. After getting out of the car I noticed the car was leaking oil from the rear of the engine. There wasn't a doubt in my mind my GT2 or Viper would have beaten that FGT and as matter of fact the owner declined to find out and agreed with me. I later saw the car in the service area getting the main seal replaced, the control arms replaced and some electrical problems addressed. That FGT spent well over a month in the service department while the service manager battled with Ford about getting some help with the car.

One of my neighbors bought a 2005 Ford GT from out of state and one of the hoses or clamps sprung a leak and antifreeze spewed out all over the inside of the engine compartment on the way home from taking delivery. Luckily the dealer had some integrity and picked him up and towed the FGT back to the dealership. I was able to ride and drive this Ford GT and also felt like it was a dog. The owner did some light mods and a supertune and it ran much better. He has had few if any troubles since then. His car ran at 448 HP at the rear wheels before the mods and supertune. Over 550 now.

Some time during all this drama one of the major auto magazines ran an editorial wherein he outlined all the early problems Ford was having with the FGT program including replacement of control arms as well as problems with rear mainseal problems etc.and assembly line issues that lead to some changes in management at the plant.

At this point needless to say I was not a buyer for a FGT despite the fact I bleed Ford blue, have a decent Ford collection and both my wife and I drive Ford trucks as daily drivers.
However a good friend in the midwest who is a car collector, car broker, driving instructor and ASE trained mechanic was able to order a new FGT at dealer cost through the efforts of a friend of his who is employed high up in Ford. I was most interested in his opinions because I knew him to be objective and probably the most knowledgeable car guy I have ever known.

On his way home after taking delivery of his 2006 FGT built in May of 06 I think? His second call was to me complaining about what a dog the car was. His first call was to the dealer who told him to relax it will get faster after a break in. Faster being a relative term I suppose. His car turned 441 HP at the rear wheels and proceeded over the next few weeks to have an antifreeze leak, rear mainseal leak, transmission leak and an assortment of other problems including a drivers seat that was not fully bolted to the floor.
He was able to have two Ford FGT field techs come out and resolve most of the problems but they did have to take the car to the dealership for a few weeks.
I was fascinated by this field tech program and assumed he was getting this treatment because of his Ford connection? My friend advised me that this FGT field tech program was available to all with nothing but a phone call. Taking this with a grain of salt I asked around and verified the program did in fact exist. Prior to buying my Ford GT my selling dealer confirmed the existence of the program. I was quite frankely surprised when the Ford coldline informed me it was a figment of my imagination.

My midwest friend went on to spend about 7500 on mods for his FGT and after driving it I had to have a FGT! His car was an absolute rocketship with a fantastic new exhaust sound with the Ford headers now in place. It was clearly faster than my Carrera GT and cost a whole lot less. HP at the rear wheels was now up to 650. He had resolved all the quality control issues and now really enjoyed his car.

Upon taking delivery of my FGT I shared the same opinion of most every FGT owner I have personally met and spoke to , that the car in stock configuration is a dog. Just my opinion. I haven't yet met a FGT owner who thinks differently. The lack of power didn't concern me since I knew from first hand experience what tremendous potential the FGT had. So I planned to drive my FGT as much as possible to put as many miles on it as quickly as possible to get the HP up where it needs to be. Although I have no idea who I can get out here to do a supertune. Unfortunately the car after sitting for a few days just doesn't want to start. At first we thought it was the blower motor which had mysteriously come on while parked in the garage, then we replaced the battery even though it seemed to be fine. Still no resolution and I am afraid to drive the car very far and park it for fear it won't re-start. My local Ford service manager has been fantastic and par for the course is getting little or no help from Ford. I have privately emailed members of this forum who claim to be connected with the program and received no reply. I am no longer pissed off and am now bemused and plan to park the FGT next to some of my other Fords until someone comes along who can figure it out.

As I said I own many Fords both new and old. I enjoy my 2003 SVT Cobra but also think it is a real dog in stock configuration and find the power only in the upper ranges of the RPM powerband. But realize there is a ton of potential inside that motor. I have driven both a prototype and new 2007 Shelby/SVT Mustang and don't think either is faster than my 03 SVT Cobra and think at 4000 pounds they handle like a sled. I have driven both the current generation Viper and Z06 Vette. Both seem like the real deal to me and for half what a FGT cost.

Asked for my opinion about a car I am familiar with I will give an honest answer based on my experiences and observations. The fact that I have elected to only post on this forum 22 times does not lessen the accuracy of my observations.

My opinion of the FGT is that like most cars it has strong points and weak points. It's styling is breathtaking perhaps the finest looking car ever to come out of Detroit? Fun factor(when it starts) is huge. Quality control is poor. Fit and finish is inconsistent. Road racing potential is poor. It is only a two year production car it is not a well sorted out track car in comparison to Vettes or Vipers who have dedicated factory support for track use.

For you guys to recommend to a prospective FGT buyer with an extensive road racing history that the FGT is a suitable track car is disingenous IMHO. It is a great and somewhat rare weekend car for driving enthusiasts and collectors. But well sorted out road racer it is clearly not. It is also not a car with a strong history of quality control. It is a car that requires a lot of tough love and patience in my opinion.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Never said I was a licensed driving instructor or raced superbikes. I have no idea where that is coming from?

Don't own or sell Ferrrai's probably never will. Not impressed with current Mercedes cars quality or service. Think the current Vette and Vipers are far superior cars for the road racing purposes S. Cal. Rebell needs.

Won't disrespect any member of this forum and resort to returning the insults hurled at me.

Here is my complete FGT history since it seems to be of interest to some on this sight.
When I read about Ford building the car I went down to my Ford dealer where I or the folks that work for me and that I personally brought in to this dealership purchased over 40 cars in a four year period. Not including the Bullitt, 04 Mach 1 and 03 SVT Cobra I purchased for my Ford collection. I was told that the owner and his son were getting the first two FGTs and that the third was sold to Sammy Hagar who had never purchased a car from this dealership before. I said OK sell me the fourth one you get. They said fine it's yours as long as I agreed to pay 50K over MSRP which when I complained they were a little flexible on. But no deal was consumated since I wouldn't pay a penny over MSRP.

The first one arrived in 05 and the owner took delivery and immediately had problems with the car. As a matter of fact the car spent over a month in the owners service department. The service manager who is a friend of mine was pulling his hair out he was so upset at Ford for their lack of support in resolving all the problems. The car was now offered to me at 25K over MSRP to which I declined.

This dealers second FGT was delivered a few months later and the owners son took delivery and subsequently took me for a ride and after spending about a half hour in the car my impression and his was that the car was a dog when considering it was reputed to have 550 HP. After getting out of the car I noticed the car was leaking oil from the rear of the engine. There wasn't a doubt in my mind my GT2 or Viper would have beaten that FGT and as matter of fact the owner declined to find out and agreed with me. I later saw the car in the service area getting the main seal replaced, the control arms replaced and some electrical problems addressed. That FGT spent well over a month in the service department while the service manager battled with Ford about getting some help with the car.

One of my neighbors bought a 2005 Ford GT from out of state and one of the hoses or clamps sprung a leak and antifreeze spewed out all over the inside of the engine compartment on the way home from taking delivery. Luckily the dealer had some integrity and picked him up and towed the FGT back to the dealership. I was able to ride and drive this Ford GT and also felt like it was a dog. The owner did some light mods and a supertune and it ran much better. He has had few if any troubles since then. His car ran at 448 HP at the rear wheels before the mods and supertune. Over 550 now.

Some time during all this drama one of the major auto magazines ran an editorial wherein he outlined all the early problems Ford was having with the FGT program including replacement of control arms as well as problems with rear mainseal problems etc.and assembly line issues that lead to some changes in management at the plant.

At this point needless to say I was not a buyer for a FGT despite the fact I bleed Ford blue, have a decent Ford collection and both my wife and I drive Ford trucks as daily drivers.
However a good friend in the midwest who is a car collector, car broker, driving instructor and ASE trained mechanic was able to order a new FGT at dealer cost through the efforts of a friend of his who is employed high up in Ford. I was most interested in his opinions because I knew him to be objective and probably the most knowledgeable car guy I have ever known.

On his way home after taking delivery of his 2006 FGT built in May of 06 I think? His second call was to me complaining about what a dog the car was. His first call was to the dealer who told him to relax it will get faster after a break in. Faster being a relative term I suppose. His car turned 441 HP at the rear wheels and proceeded over the next few weeks to have an antifreeze leak, rear mainseal leak, transmission leak and an assortment of other problems including a drivers seat that was not fully bolted to the floor.
He was able to have two Ford FGT field techs come out and resolve most of the problems but they did have to take the car to the dealership for a few weeks.
I was fascinated by this field tech program and assumed he was getting this treatment because of his Ford connection? My friend advised me that this FGT field tech program was available to all with nothing but a phone call. Taking this with a grain of salt I asked around and verified the program did in fact exist. Prior to buying my Ford GT my selling dealer confirmed the existence of the program. I was quite frankely surprised when the Ford coldline informed me it was a figment of my imagination.

My midwest friend went on to spend about 7500 on mods for his FGT and after driving it I had to have a FGT! His car was an absolute rocketship with a fantastic new exhaust sound with the Ford headers now in place. It was clearly faster than my Carrera GT and cost a whole lot less. HP at the rear wheels was now up to 650. He had resolved all the quality control issues and now really enjoyed his car.

Upon taking delivery of my FGT I shared the same opinion of most every FGT owner I have personally met and spoke to , that the car in stock configuration is a dog. Just my opinion. I haven't yet met a FGT owner who thinks differently. The lack of power didn't concern me since I knew from first hand experience what tremendous potential the FGT had. So I planned to drive my FGT as much as possible to put as many miles on it as quickly as possible to get the HP up where it needs to be. Although I have no idea who I can get out here to do a supertune. Unfortunately the car after sitting for a few days just doesn't want to start. At first we thought it was the blower motor which had mysteriously come on while parked in the garage, then we replaced the battery even though it seemed to be fine. Still no resolution and I am afraid to drive the car very far and park it for fear it won't re-start. My local Ford service manager has been fantastic and par for the course is getting little or no help from Ford. I have privately emailed members of this forum who claim to be connected with the program and received no reply. I am no longer pissed off and am now bemused and plan to park the FGT next to some of my other Fords until someone comes along who can figure it out.

As I said I own many Fords both new and old. I enjoy my 2003 SVT Cobra but also think it is a real dog in stock configuration and find the power only in the upper ranges of the RPM powerband. But realize there is a ton of potential inside that motor. I have driven both a prototype and new 2007 Shelby/SVT Mustang and don't think either is faster than my 03 SVT Cobra and think at 4000 pounds they handle like a sled. I have driven both the current generation Viper and Z06 Vette. Both seem like the real deal to me and for half what a FGT cost.

Asked for my opinion about a car I am familiar with I will give an honest answer based on my experiences and observations. The fact that I have elected to only post on this forum 22 times does not lessen the accuracy of my observations.

My opinion of the FGT is that like most cars it has strong points and weak points. It's styling is breathtaking perhaps the finest looking car ever to come out of Detroit? Fun factor(when it starts) is huge. Quality control is poor. Fit and finish is inconsistent. Road racing potential is poor. It is only a two year production car it is not a well sorted out track car in comparison to Vettes or Vipers who have dedicated factory support for track use.

For you guys to recommend to a prospective FGT buyer with an extensive road racing history that the FGT is a suitable track car is disingenous IMHO. It is a great and somewhat rare weekend car for driving enthusiasts and collectors. But well sorted out road racer it is clearly not. It is also not a car with a strong history of quality control. It is a car that requires a lot of tough love and patience in my opinion.

Wow, you bought a Ford GT after observing all those other GT's with huge issues, just because of the Ford blue gushing in your veins.... You were restrained not to start a class action law suit against Ford for misstating the horsepower on the GT, I admire that. You still refer to your contact who lied to you about a fantasy field tech program as your friend. ... Wow, I am done.

todd

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2006
so. ca.

It must be it the water:bs

Attachments

• get a clue.JPG
    get a clue.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 215

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
CSX, sounds like you are parroting data from various magazine articles. Me thinks you should consider moving on to a Z06 or stick with your Viper. BTW, what's your VIN?:bs

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Can anyone tell me what a "supertune" is? :lol

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
There are numerous articles comparing the FGT to the Z06 and Viper (all of which were stock!).

Edmunds Inside Line:
http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcontainers/do/vdp/articleId=108567/pageNumber=1

Top Gear Stig's Lap times:
http://www.topgear.com/content/tgonbbc2/laptimes/thestig/

Great article written by a forum member with a summary of various stats from a variety of sources. Also, includes of course the author's own experience who has both a FGT and Z06.
http://www.ffcobra.com/magazine/article20060807.htm#tests

R&T. A little unfair as the Ferrari F430 and Lambo Gallardo had soft rubber track tires.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=7&article_id=3768

Automobile mag with good video.
http://www.automobilemag.com/multimedia/video/0511_z06_gt_viper/

Central London land speed record. 1. SLR McLaren. FGT faster than the Z06.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/5184756.stm

Finally, the lightning lap with Car and Driver...this may be the most applicable as NONE of the cars were modified and used a racetrack most of us are familiar with--VIR.
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/11755/the-lightning-lap.html

In all of these comparison tests, the FGT was faster (in a straight line) than either the Z06 or the Dodge Viper. In most, except the R&T article, it was also faster around the track.

My advice to the noobie, read a variety of comparisons, talk to several owners (including ones who have not been satisfied), and test drive the car yourself. Avoid the "conspiracy" theories that ALL of the road tests and reviews have been "modified" cars.

timcantwell

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Thanks for clarifying you experience "CSX". Enjoy that Viper!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Yeah, what all these guys said! I've had my car one year now and love it. I will be your one owner that's happy with it as is. No problems. Give it up.

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
+ 1

SoCal Rebell

Dec 24, 2006
Whoa, sorry didn't mean to start a huge controversy here. The FGT will be used as a street/track car, not a dedicated track car. Many Viper owners here that I know own and love the car. I am in contact with Jack at Muscle Motors which is 10 miles from me, I will be visiting next week. FWIW the Viper is also a hand built car so I guess any "handbuilt" related problems would be similar. I appreciate all the input and for now will put most of my questions in the "racing" section.

Happy New Year :cheers

CSX 2104

GT Owner
Aug 9, 2006
Las Vegas
SoCal Rebell,

Both the Viper and FGT are handbuilt as you stated. But your problems will not be similar unless the Viper you are refrerring to is a 1992-1994 which had a host of serious developmental problems like the FGT is having now and for that matter all new clean sheet cars seem to have upon their creation. The early Vipers had tons of problems, probably much more so than the FGT in fact, but the difference is Dodge elected to continue to build , develop and sort out the issues by building 500 to 1000 Vipers per year and making evolutionary improvements each model year.

Dodge also listened very closely to it's Viper owners by sponsoring semi annual Viper owner invitational events and fully supporting the Viper days and Viper Racing League program created by hard working Skip Thomas. As you know Dodge didn't get around to addressing the woefully inadequate rear brakes on the Viper until the third generation of Vipers in 2003. And as I am sure you are aware even after 11 years of building Vipers by hand Dodge had some assembly line engine related quality control problems with their third generation of Vipers in 2003,2004.

Notwithstanding the numerous Viper related quality control issues Dodge has experienced over the years. I was still able in 1998 to drive a Viper GTS coupe off the showroom floor and drive to a Viper days event in CA in 100 degree heat. Flog my brand new Viper around a track for two days in the timed non racing events. Wear out a set of 4 brand new tires and brake pads and then drive the car home on bald tires and worn out brake pads in 100 degree heat and then drive it to work the next day all without a hint of a problem. I was able to drive this Viper to many such events and beat the ever living crap out of the car and it always got me safely home each time. I did the same thing when the 99 ACR came out and again beat the living snot out of the car all without the use of a trailer and all without any problems other than normal wear and tear. Each Dodge dealer in town had a specially trained Viper tech always available for help in getting the bone stock Viper ready for it's next track day event.

As you know Dodge then created the Viper Comp. Coupe to support the Viper days program and allow Viper owners for 125K to buy a factory built race car certified for Viper Days and the VRL as well as the SCCA World Challenge Series.

In other words Dodge decided to build the Viper and make a long standing commitment to the Viper and it's owners with factory support and dealer support in the form of requiring dealers who sell Vipers to have factory trained Viper techs at each dealership.

Ford showed creative genius by building the FGT and basing it on their legendary Le Mans winning Ferrari ass kicking GT of the 60s. Ford must be given an enormous amount of credit IMHO for building the FGT and staying so true to it's heritage. I truly think the car is iconic a classic in it's time in many respects.

That being said it was rushed into production to meet the 100 year Ford anniversary deadline. It is a brand new clean sheet of paper car in a sense hastily assembled and rushed to the marketplace to meet demand at a volume of 2000 units per year. Generally speaking handbuilt and 2000 units per year are not often found in the same sentence? Ford didn't have a lot of time to sort the car out. Ford is not continuing to sort the car out since they have elected to cease production. Ford has not required dealers who sell the car to have special factory trianed FGT techs on hand to service these cars.

Had Ford made a comitment to build the FGT in limited volume for a long period of time and improve the car each year as it evolved and perhaps supported a FGT only racing series the car would be simply be one of the worlds finest cars.

I recommend a FGT purchase to my friends who want a rare car with iconic looks which is undeniably a modern classic who want such a distinctive car as opposed to the vanilla styling found on a Vette or Viper. It however is not reliable enough or sorted out enough to be a weekend track car for a serious weekend track guy such as yourself IMHO. It's a weekend car enthusiasts vehicle and a car collectors type car to drive on weekends.

It is a very quick car but doesn't IMHO generate anywhere near it's claimed 550 HP in stock configuration. I know for a fact the magazine cars were tuned and boosted. After having driven them all the FGT is no faster than a new 505 HP Vette or a 510 HP Viper but costs twice as much. What you are getting is looks more than anything else. The FGT is beset by normal quality control problems found on most new clean sheet cars but clearly lacks factory support at this time. Ford responded to the 2005 FGT problems by having field techs visit some owners but have since largely phased this service out.