My Vintage Race Car

furlong

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 14, 2007
pennsylvania
I restored a 1964 Elva MK7S last winter and I have been working on the handling and also learning how to drive this 50 year old sport racer.
It weighs 1000 lbs, and has a 200 hp Lotus twin cam motor mated to a Hewland MK9 trans. The frame is tube with a fiberglass body, 4 wheel
discs with Magnesium wheels. It was a fun project that lasted all winter, so that kept me busy and away from my wife. I have entered the car in Vintage Races at Pocono,
NJMP, Palm Beach, and last weekend Lime Rock. It is a blast to drive especially after the rebuild.

Attachments

• elvaresto3.jpg
    elvaresto3.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 318
  • screensaverNJMP13VRG-4855.jpg
    screensaverNJMP13VRG-4855.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 320

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Fantastic!!

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Great car for vintage racing - she looks really good

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Very cool!

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy too cool!!!

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
If memory serves me correctly, Mark Donohue started racing in an Elva. Courier, I think.

Biginch Blake

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 4, 2008
Rockville, Indiana
Indianapolis 500 track hosting a vintage race June 4th to 8th this year. A lot of buzz about it, chance to run on one of the most famous tracks in the world the "Brickyard". I have talked to Chris MacAllister and I know he will be running his GT 40 on the track, should be a great event to attend. Let me know if others plan to attend.

http://www.svra.com/events/brickyard-vintage-racing-invitational/

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Wow, looks cool. Hope you enjoy it on the track even more than during rebuilding it.

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
What a beauty :thumbsup What tires are you running in the vintage classes? We use the old school Dunlop Racing and that is definately a very special experience :biggrin .... but lot´s of fun

What cars are your direct competitors in class? The Elans?

Let us see more picures of the fully assembled Elva

:cheers
Anders

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Thats nice ! A no lift car!

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Pretty cool. And I bet it is fun. Nice job!

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Fantastic!
Best,
Mark

furlong

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 14, 2007
pennsylvania
Some Vintage Clubs in the States require the Dunlops, but right now they are hard to get as Dunlop is having troubles. I am currently running Avons. Right now I am learning to drive the car and also learning about suspension set up (don't have it fully dialed in yet) but the little bugger is quick. I race against Lotus 7s, 11s, Ginetta G4s, Porsche 911, Lotus 23, Elva MK5, MK6. I am working on some in car videos from Lime Rock this past weekend. I'll let you know when I post them to You Tube. If you go to You Tube and punch in Elva MK7 at NJMP you'll see my first race last September.

Attachments

• PBGP.jpg
    PBGP.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 33
  • screensaverNJMP13VRG-4334.jpg
    screensaverNJMP13VRG-4334.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 34

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
I attended the Vintage National Championships this past October at COTA and there were quite a few Elvas. They are beautiful race cars.
I grew up going to SCCA races with my Dad in the 60's and I was telling him about your car and he said he remembers them and says were quick competetive cars. My Dad was racing Bugeye Sprites and Austin Healey 3000's and he also raced a Stangalinni. I also remember going to Riverside for the Run Offs. Great times for racing as so many cool cars.