My GT´s 2005 and 2020

1of19(GER)

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Germany
Hi,
some of you might me know - I lost my password for One of 19 (GER) but you still can see my old comments and some pictures of the GT in the snow:).
I still own the car and drove it more than 20.000 miles. It´s still running 206 mph!

Now the bad news:
in Dec. 2020 I got my new Ford GT (same colour). The american Ford-Instructor came and we made our 15min testdrive.
I can´t express how disappointed and frustated I was!! 0-250 km/h (0-156mph) was ok but the acceleraton to 310 km/h (194mph) was absolut unacceptable.
When we returned I told him and my concierge that I do not accept the car.
They told me that I should drive the car for 10 days more what I did (450 km more) but this did not change my first impression at all.
2 days later they picked the car up and returned my money back within 2 weeks.
Sorry to write these facts.

jr66

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2017
scottsdale
I am amazed that you did not like the new GT. It looks like it is going 200mph sitting still! In the USA, maximum legal speed limit is 85MPH with 15 over being a felony in my state. Only place to go fast is a track. No autobans here.

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
Unacceptable :)

I may never find out what the top speed is of my 2020 GT.

Last edited:

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Sorry you didnt like it. I loved mine. Fortunately, we are in an era where there are so many different great cars to choose from.

Durward1

GT Owner
Jan 14, 2011
South Dakota
Hi,
some of you might me know - I lost my password for One of 19 (GER) but you still can see my old comments and some pictures of the GT in the snow:).
I still own the car and drove it more than 20.000 miles. It´s still running 206 mph!

Now the bad news:
in Dec. 2020 I got my new Ford GT (same colour). The american Ford-Instructor came and we made our 15min testdrive.
I can´t express how disappointed and frustated I was!! 0-250 km/h (0-156mph) was ok but the acceleraton to 310 km/h (194mph) was absolut unacceptable.
They told me that I should drive the car for 10 days more what I did (450 km more) but this did not change my first impression at all.

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Maybe the parking brake was on.

Durward1

GT Owner
Jan 14, 2011
South Dakota
I’m astonished you sent your GT back to Ford. The car has a run-in period of 600 miles with significant speed and acceleration restrictions , and I suspect you caused engine damage by pushing it the way you purportedly did.
in addition, over here the value of the car likely would at least double if resold at 2 years and with low mileage. That’s about a 50% per annum return. Many people consider that an excellent return on investmen!

Reactions: canibl

JOETWINT

FORD GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 22, 2008
Brooklyn N.Y.
Hi,

Now the bad news:
wait........ you returned the car because u felt the acceleration was unacceptable from 150-200mph???:unsure:Good job Ford on giving you your money back! And that takes the cake for one of the silliest stories I have ever heard.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I seem to recall that the car has limits to RPM and/or power during the first few hundred miles. You may not have put enough miles on it to get beyond the “break in” programming.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
The EU market cars now make less HP than the US cars due to EU regulatory constraints. Unfortunately I am sure this is probably the cause of slower than anticipated top end acceleration. Not only do they make less hp than the MY21 cars, they make a good amount less power than even the MY17 cars.

I can certainly understand the frustration given your ability to use local roads free of speed restrictions.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
I remember the days European spec cars had more HP! Is it the same for other super cars such as mclaren and Ferrari?
If so , US spec cars may become more desirable! Never would have expected that!!

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Back in 70s would remove smog pumps, Change carburetors and timing. Sometimes change heads to match euro versions. Today may be as simple as reprogramming ECU! Probably would void warrant and not sure European inspections would pick it up!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I'll be honest, I didn't follow it that closely, but I think the reason it ended up this way is that FMC was not granted a small volume manufacturer exemption from some emissions regs (WLTP?), and with only a little over 100 cars going to the EU for the year, it kind of is what it is. Other manufacturers are in the business of selling thousands of cars annually in that market so they have to make the spend to keep up with it.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Oh well! Sorry to hear you were not happy!
After 12k on my2019 CS.I’m still in love with the car.
Maybe the new Mclaren 3 seater with a top speed of 256mph might suit your fancy. Let us know.

GTinTN

GT Owner
Jan 17, 2019
Brentwood, TN
When I read this, I double checked the date to make sure it was not April 1st!
Good grief, do you know how many people would give their "eye teeth" to get one of the NFGTs?
Am sorry it did not meet your expectations, but can't believe you asked them to take it back! Unbelievable!

Reactions: 1of19(GER)

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Who do I contact at Ford about a used GT that may be down in horsepower a little bit but probably still has more than the Le Mans winning cars? I’ll pay full msrp even with 500km on it. And I don’t even know what color it is!😄

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
I'll pay MSRP + $50k ... sight unseen!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I'll pay MSRP + $50k ... sight unseen!
There looking for someone who is going to drive it!!

Reactions: extrap
Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
I'll drive it! My 06 FGT has 18,000+ miles on it. My 68 GT 500 has 52,000 or 152,000 miles on it.

I drive my cars and NEVER save them for the next guy. Ford, sell me this car please!!!

QSS

Reactions: F Pilot
Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
I'll drive it! My 06 FGT has 18,000+ miles on it. My 68 GT 500 has 52,000 or 152,000 miles on it.

I drive my cars and NEVER save them for the next guy. Ford, sell me this car please!!!

QSS
Yep, shameless drunken beg for a new Ford GT.

QSS

Reactions: steved57 and extrap