My FGT Hates Germans

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
Nothing like waiting 6 Months for my 2007 German Porsche TT(TIP). This is a Great Car. The FGT Is Not Amused.

Attachments

• VIPER-TURBO 004.jpg
    VIPER-TURBO 004.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 284

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Great car. I was never a big fan of Porsches until I sat in a 997S and realized what fanatical attention to detail those things have. Love the new wheels too.

The GT still knows who is sexier though...and come on, 193mph top speed? That's like, slow :biggrin

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I imagine the GT would merely shrug.

A little like comparing Frank Sinatra to Harry Connick Jnr. Both great- but there's only one Blue Eyes.... :biggrin

Ferrari Beater

Jan 29, 2007
Farmington Hills, MI
Are you glad you got the tip? Is it a daily driver or did you just want to try it out? Great car.

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
Are you glad you got the tip? Is it a daily driver or did you just want to try it out? Great car.

I really Like the TIP(Its faster then the Manual) especially in traffic which it seems is all the time here in California. It is not a daily driver Although it could be. I think that Porsche builds the Best Sport/Luxury/Exotic car made in the TT. The Fit and Finish on this car is excellent combined with the Comfort,Technology,Safety and all wheel drive make it a Winner.

lamboman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 14, 2006
Atlanta area
That car is a screamer 0-60 and quarter mile with the Tip. Congrats.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
What are the 0-60 times?

Ferrari Beater

Jan 29, 2007
Farmington Hills, MI
3.7 for the Tip and 3.9 for the stick.

lamboman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 14, 2006
Atlanta area
What are the 0-60 times?

Here is the Nov C+D. Wow.

From Road and Track November. This '07 Turbo had the Tiptronic...and blasted an 11.6 in the 1320...and 3.3 0-60. Great numbers.

Porsche 911 Turbo
Porsche’s Tiptronic electronically controlled automatic transmission makes the 2007 911 Turbo quicker down the drag strip.

It’s been a long-standing tradition that true sports cars are equipped with manual transmissions, putting the driver in full control and enabling him to extract the utmost from his machine. Things have changed: Computers can simulate logic, and machines can manipulate things more accurately and quickly than humans. Clutch pedals and stick shifts are giving way to buttons and paddles. Increasingly, the automobile is becoming less and less in our control — anti-lock brakes with brake assist and force distribution, yaw and traction control, active suspension, electric steering with variable ratios, active cruise control — all for the better they say. But lost is the necessity for skills that once made racing drivers famous.

It is no surprise that Porsche’s Tiptronic electronically controlled automatic transmission is good, but it is a surprise to learn that it makes the 2007 911 Turbo quicker down the drag strip. Aside from special applications, the torque converter has always been considered a hindrance. In this case the Tiptronic even has one less gear, being a 5-speed. The 6-speed manual on the face of it should clearly out-drag the two-pedal car. Nay, it does not. Power-braking the Tiptronic loads the turbo and builds boost before the car leaves the line. To build boost in the manual-equipped car would require excessive slipping of the clutch. This delay in building boost gives the advantage to the torque-converter-equipped Tiptronic — the gain being a tenth of a second to 60 mph despite its taller first gear.

The ability of the Tiptronic system to quickly shift gears shaves time the whole length of the strip — pulling out two more tenths. This is because the turbo stays under load while the Tiptronic shifts — keeping the 480 bhp at work pushing the car. In contrast, the manual is given pause three times in the quarter- mile as the driver changes gears.

Aside from transmissions, the two cars we tested were identical. The red one is the Tiptronic. The Tiptronic’s shifts are not made with a conventional paddle system. Instead, Porsche opted for rocker-type switches on both left and right sides of the steering wheel, located directly under the thumbs. The rocker switches allow up- and downshifting with either hand.

We know the automatic car is faster, but we still don’t like it. We continue to prefer the traditional method of making a car go fast and hope the art of driving isn’t lost.

2007 Porsche 911 Turbo

List price $129,685

Price as tested $141,285

Curb weight 3610 lb

Engine, transmission 3.6 liter turbo F-6; 5-spauto.

Horsepower, bhp @ rpm 480 @ 6000

0–60 mph 3.3 sec

0–100 mph 8.3 sec

0–1320 ft (1/4 mile) 11.6 sec @ 118.3 mph

Top speed 193 mph

Braking, 60–0 mph 116 ft

Braking, 80–0 mph 207 ft

Lateral accel (200-ft skidpad) 0.97g

Speed thru 700-ft slalom 70.7 mph

Our mileage, EPA city/highway est 18.0, 17/25 mpg

Ferrari Beater

Jan 29, 2007
Farmington Hills, MI
That is the quickest 0-60 time I have seen for this car.

Here is what Porsche claims:

http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/911/911-turbo/featuresandspecs/

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
It's a heavy car, but it has tremendous traction so the usable street performance is awesome. Great for stoplight to stoplight blasts. And of course it's a 911 Turbo so it will have Autobahn engineered high-speed stability.

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
That is the quickest 0-60 time I have seen for this car.

Here is what Porsche claims:

http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/911/911-turbo/featuresandspecs/

Autoweek Tested it at 3.3 for 0-60 Also.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Are there any numbers for accelerations g's. I would think that the awd with stock tires would hook up much better than a 2wd, hence better 0-60.

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
My TT has the best brakes(Ceramic) I have ever used. this car stops faster then anything I have ever driven. One Mag tested it and 60-0 was 99 feet.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
My TT has the best brakes(Ceramic) I have ever used. this car stops faster then anything I have ever driven. One Mag tested it and 60-0 was 99 feet.

Wow, that is Viper territory!

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Those darn Germans, how do they get that car to stop so fast?

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Halten Sie bitte!

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Gets my attention.

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
When I dirve my GT3, my nose bleeds whenever I see girls in bikini riding towards me on a bike or when I slam on those ceramic brakes. Speaking of deceleration G's......

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Check out this video and see another example of crazy German engineering.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?V=BGWWW3qGC5CU