My AC is out!

Scooter

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 15, 2009
Has anyone had any problems with there AC system? This morning it was working fine on my way to a car show...after walking around a parking lot in 92 degree heat for two hours couldnt wait for my ride home with cool air blowing on me...all I got was 100 degree vent air blowing on me how refreshing!
Only 3000 miles on her

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
Just a quick off hand, check for fuses and relays.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
There is another topic here about the from the front to the back being rubbed on a front support and causing loss of coolant. I can't find it now but maybe someone can remember the pointer. If you get it recharged and it won't hold then that is your likely cause.

GT38

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 19, 2008
Glendale, Arizona
Check the light on the console to make sure you didn't just bump the A/C to the off position. I thought I had a sudden failure like that, and fortunately it turned out this was what I'd done.

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
There is another topic here about the from the front to the back being rubbed on a front support and causing loss of coolant. I can't find it now but maybe someone can remember the pointer. If you get it recharged and it won't hold then that is your likely cause.

Believe this is the link...http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?24829-Which-Dealership-for-Air-Conditioning-Service

Scooter

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 15, 2009
Thanks guys, the light is on and I dont think its a leak because it was working just fine two hours before, I'm sure I would have heard the noise from a leak.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

FlagstaffGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Twice now my temperature control knob would spin free, always ending on a pretty warm setting that I could not change. It happened under warranty and I believe Ford removed the console to get to a set screw.

daytrayd

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 23, 2010
Austin, TX
I had to replace my compressor, the seal blew out from the previous owner never driving the car and the seal drying out. It was relatively cheap to replace. This may or may not be your issue.

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
I had a coolant leak a few years ago that turned out to be coming from the evaporator. It took several cycles of filling the system with dye and using a "sniffer" for the Ford dealer to find it. Once the evaporator was replaced it worked fine for about two years then failed again. I had it recharged again. That was a year ago. Still O.K. Kendall's suggestion regarding the hose rubbing on a bracket was not the problem.

So, I can't offer any possible solutions to your problem, Scooter. Only sympathy.

Scooter

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 15, 2009
Where exactly is the rubbing pipe, its a good post just a little confusing. Also do you know where the fuse panel is located?

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
Where exactly is the rubbing pipe, its a good post just a little confusing. Also do you know where the fuse panel is located?
Fuse is fuse1.21 located in the battery junction box, the relay is the compressor clutch relay located in the auxiliary relay box. Both are under the trunk liner.

Adios

GT Owner
Apr 24, 2010
E. Washington State
I would lose most of my coolant during winter,this happen for two years.Before I went to the small dealership here in town they did right and removed bellypans to get a look at everything. the tec spotted a small leak in the compressor seal.

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Mine went out this APril. Hadn't drivine the car since the Fall. Changed battery and the air just wasn't cold. Take it to your dealer and have them flush the Freon and reinstall new Freon and it will run fine.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Mine went out this APril. Hadn't drivine the car since the Fall. Changed battery and the air just wasn't cold. Take it to your dealer and have them flush the Freon and reinstall new Freon and it will run fine.

Is this an issue when the car isn't driven very much? I don't think mine is as cold as my truck, but then I have no other benchmark. My friend can purge the freon if that is what it is. My OASIS has a history of this problem as well. I have easy access to the bottom (just have to pull the splitter) to see if I have the worn hose problem.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
my blue car does the same thing for a year now, I just don't drive it in the heat anymore, but its fine in the morning and when it gets up to temp the ac compressor doesn't kick on, its been doing the same thing for a while now, it always works when the car is cool it only stops when the car warms up!! I changed the low side pressure switch so far and no change yet. I need to change the high side next.

fecarman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 18, 2007
Well, it's hot here in Michigan and the air cond. quit on my 2005 Gt with 4000 miles. I drove the car to my favorite dealer,Varsity Ford in Ann Arbor. They checked out the a/c system and said it was down about a 1/2 pound of R134A and could find no leaks. They checked the front a/c lines and they were no where near the pan. They flushed the a/c system and refilled with R134A and now the a/c will freeze you out. $245 later and I'm riding like an Eskimo. Just in time as the weekend calls for 90 degrees and I'm going cruis'n. A minor inconvenience for a seven year old car.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
The AC holds 16 oz of freon, so you were pretty low. I had mine juiced up 2 years ago and now have it checked yearly. So far, no real loss. Never could find any real leaks.

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
A vacuum pump and set of gauges should be in everyone's tool box. With the federal restrictions service is going to be a nightmare.