Motor Trend NFGT testing

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Randy Pobst posted on FB yesterday that he was track testing the NFGT. He also mentioned testing the 720S last week. Another post shows Randy set the lap record at Willow Springs in the McLaren at 1:21.7. I bet it's going to be close.

BTW, there is a picture of Stormy's car in the post:thumbsup

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Well, considering they tested the GT on the day the WS started and ambient temp in LA was 105*, I'm not optimistic. I don't have a ton of gripes with Ford, but the fact they consistently let their cars not be tested until they can be tested in the most egregiously unfavorable conditions possible blows my mind.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
No kidding.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Aligning the planets. "Street" version of BoP. Keep everybody guesssing. :lol

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Sandbagging

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Will be great if the GT outperforms the 720, but I doubt it will: the GT benchmark was the 675LT and the 720 is significantly quicker than its predecessor. Having said all that (and as I’ve said before) who cares? The GT is an icon, the McLaren is a car.....

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Will be great if the GT outperforms the 720, but I doubt it will: the GT benchmark was the 675LT and the 720 is significantly quicker than its predecessor. Having said all that (and as I’ve said before) who cares? The GT is an icon, the McLaren is a car.....

totally agree!

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
Randy Pobst posted on FB yesterday that he was track testing the NFGT. He also mentioned testing the 720S last week. Another post shows Randy set the lap record at Willow Springs in the McLaren at 1:21.7. I bet it's going to be close.

BTW, there is a picture of Stormy's car in the post:thumbsup

Heat will really hurt power and Willow needs power for great lap times. I would bet around 1.24 for the GT under those conditions, the McLaren time is outstanding for a street legal car when you look at typical race car laps there.

txviper

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 31, 2007

Hopefully the aero will edge out the 720. But when the track version of the 720 comes out....game over for a lot of cars including GT. But I couldn’t care less..GT all the way!

Much respect to Mclaren though, they have upped their game in a big way. All other mfg are having to take note.

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Hopefully the aero will edge out the 720. But when the track version of the 720 comes out....game over for a lot of cars including GT. But I couldn’t care less..GT all the way!

Much respect to Mclaren though, they have upped their game in a big way. All other mfg are having to take note.

Totally agree... Can't wait for our turn in the GT process... Dream car for sure!

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Ha, Randy Pobst! I bet Sanjay could get the NGT into the low one twenties at Willow!

Ed

Gary(SF)

Nov 12, 2017
Any updates on this thread? Interested to see what the NFGT did at Big Willow.

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Pobst said results are embargoed until the article comes out.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Pobst said results are embargoed until the article comes out.

Isn't Pobst in SoCal. I'm sure our man SycoGT could get the info out of him with a little whiskey.

Ed

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
FWIW, there is another GT track test coming out that was not performed on the surface of the sun and is therefore very satisfactory.

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Isn't Pobst in SoCal. I'm sure our man SycoGT could get the info out of him with a little whiskey.

Ed

He's in the Atlanta suburbs but I dont know him. He just does all the testing at Willow or Laguna for whatever reason. If I do see him, I'll invest in some cocktails and see what I can get out of him.

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
FWIW, there is another GT track test coming out that was not performed on the surface of the sun and is therefore very satisfactory.

Good to know. Looking forward to the results and impressions. It never gets old listening to them!

stuntman

GT Owner
Jan 15, 2015
Wasn't the 720 on P-Zeros as fast a 675LT on Trofeo Rs on track?

Gary(SF)

Nov 12, 2017
Wasn't the 720 on P-Zeros as fast a 675LT on Trofeo Rs on track?

Yes, I believe that's accurate. The 720S power output is ridiculously underrated, dyno testing shows closer to 800 bhp or more, and let's face it, that means a lot in lap times, as long as the chassis is not a total loser.