Most Amusing Acclaim

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Wondering amidst the cell phone camera tail gaters and the tuner car over-revs if you have had some truly amusing recognition of your GT.

On Sunday morning, my wife and I had gone out for a cruise. We were returning to be certain that the kids had not torched the house, and suddenly saw a kid in a Mustang coming through an intersection hanging almost fully out of the driver's window.

He was giving the bow "I am not worthy and apparently steering with his leg."

Flattering except that he was headed at us. He seemed to suddenly grasp that there was a fine line between praise and death, pulled himself back into the car, gave a big thumbs up, accelerated and was gone.

I went home, fulfilled, got a syringe and shot up.

- doc

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
On my way to the SAAC Mid America event in June, I had stopped in Henrietta, OK to get fuel. A car load (4) of young guys pulled up and were just in awe of my GT.... one said "We don't never see nuthin' like this here in Herrietta"

come to think of it... the same thing happened in Greenville TX earlier in taht same day... when I stopped at Jack in the Box for breakfast.

Lot's of cell phone picture takers too...

mardyn

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
Gee....so many stories.
Once while pumping gas into my GT, a couple of teen males came by me, and one hollered, "Nice car homey!", hanging out the window.
One guy at a Starbuck's said, "What is that...a 'lambogeeni'?
Lots of cellphone pics. Also, a few people will ask me how much it cost.
I would be curious how others would answer this question without sounding like a prick??? I have started saying "about the same as a Ferrari" or "you can check the internet." You know this is something I never ask anyone...along with salary and the cost of your house.

Roger Vincent

GT Owner
May 31, 2006
Bowling Green, KY
I have had the full range I guess. I've only had the car about a week and a half, and on the first day I got many thumbs up. And then while waiting in line for the light to change, one guy looked me straight in the eye and without smiling said, "phuck you." He never smiled for a second. I just nodded my head an drove on. I hope this was a rare event. I have an SPF Cobra 427 S/C and have never caused that type of reaction. Then again, maybe he just didn't like my looks. :confused

Roger Vincent

GT Owner
May 31, 2006
Bowling Green, KY
Hope not!

:lol :lol Damn, I hadn't thought of that.

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Roger Vincent said:
:lol :lol Damn, I hadn't thought of that.

Afterall, you ARE in Kentucky .......... :biggrin

Seriously, that should be the exception. Have not had a negative yet (though I am sure eventually it will come).

Last edited:

sharp33

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2006
Rochester, NY
centerpunch said:
When you drive a Ford GT and live in the same city as the Corvette factory, I guess you have to expect an occasional outburst from the citizens!
Good point! :biggrin

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
On the way back from Detroit I followed FBGT40. He was armed with the Valentine - great device as it saved him and me as his follower many "minor" court apperances.

At one gas stop a young couple just wanted their pictures taken in front of the cars by themselves - no big deal. She was dressed in a Blk/ Slvr dress and looked great in front of my car (actually made the car look better!)

The funniest was in Mount Airy Nc when we fueled up at the split between us when an older man came out and asked if BGT40's Heritage GT was a copy of the "Herbie #53 Disney VW BUG" :willy I had a hard time trying not to laugh as the next statement was to me saying "a GT is a Mustang - Right?"

Funny thing was it was at 3:00P, beer was just sold at 2:00..... :rofl

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Whilst parked up in a small village in rural France this summer, a huge farmer type person tried to engage me in conversation by saying "bienvoitureviteadsklghrotihgbkm;kfntoiuprtiughskhs;yihporithyoihpgogadsljpoiutgosdfigsdotihposiytpoiyurtosqueallikealittlepiggyboyiusartoairuadpoyiuaporh;lkbs;lcbkagt;iutapoesituypoiaytpoaewiruwpeotiurpoiu - tres vite non?"

At least I think that's what he said.

Loads of camera phone action, lots of photos taken at gas stations - if I'm honest, I just started to get a bit irritated by it (but would never have shown it). At one stage, parked up having a sandwhich at a gas stop I had 8 photographers surround me - it felt a bit intrusive.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Neilda, you're a pretty good speller.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Thkans

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
My faviorite is just rolling along about 90 minding your own business on the highway, and then you look in the mirror and the minivan that was a mile behind you is closing FAST (has to be doing 100+), only to pull up along side and the cell phones are taking all the pix they can....... (repeat with trucks, suburban's etc)

the amazing part is that everyone seems to love the car, I can't imagine that harley riders give thumbs up to a Lambo or a Ferrarri too often.......

It makes me more comfortable that so many seem to respect it, vs the experience Mr Vincent had......

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
I have grown acustom to the cell phone camera phenomena, and believe that these gadgets should be banned. Really, I can't tell you how many times I see drivers staring into their phone and not paying attention. However the best story I have is not Ford GT related. I was driving my new Ferrari 360 a few years ago. While parked in a shopping center lot talking to a friend (another car nut), a guy came blazing up beside me, screetched to a halt, threw his door open and exclaimed...."WOW, is that one of those PT Cruisers?!?" My answer was simply, "Yes it is."

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Cyclenirvana said:
Also, a few people will ask me how much it cost.
My standard response is: "17 years of education and 35 years of hard work".

tiger 6

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 5, 2006
virginia
Spirit said:

:thumbsup :cheers

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
People always ask me what it cost, I like the "about the same as a Ferrari", can I use the line? :biggrin

I was at the Tower shoppes Car show last Friday and waited for the crowd at my car to thin out so I could leave. As soon as I got to the car and started it, the crowd can back, so I couldn't leave. The good news is she was plenty warmed up by the time I answered the same questions 10 more times.

I was at a Circuit City and a man and his 10 year old were going nuts over the car. I simply reminded the kid of the importance of college.

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
I do not find in the old South* that people ask about what something costs; considered rude.

They will, instead, say "I'll bet that costs a lot." or "Man, I wish I had that kind of money" or more simply "that is such a gorgeous car; wish I could afford one."

The closest anyone has come to referring to price was a middle-aged man said "do you like it more than a Viper?" To which I replied "I had better." He paused, got the message and replied "I see what you mean."

The interesting responses (e.g. last weekend with my son) are the cars that cost quite a bit (high end Mercedes and Porsche) whose cars look like their inexpensive brethren. They tend to slow down and glare rather than to look longingly. There are a lot of such vehicles here.

I have been in lots with Lamborghinis and Ferraris. I like those cars, but they do not get the attention that the GT receives.

- doc

*SC, NC, GA, MS, TN, AL, AK

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
Spirit said:

I like this!! My response of "about as much as a Ferrari" has always silenced them. Most people that ask, have no idea of the cost of either a Ferrari or GT...and are not likely to show their ignorance. Puts the burden back on them.

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Couching its cost in terms of another vehicle suggests that the other vehicle is some form of benchmark (cost and/or performance).

I am not comfortable with saying "about as much as a Ferrari" since it positions the GT in relation to the Ferrari.

(this is just me)

But if we must advertise for Ferrari, I would much prefer:

"Do you know what a Ferrari is? Well, this is faster and more expensive."

or perhaps

"The sacrifice of many virgins."

- doc

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
At the Rally I was following Alex S. back to SVT HQ for a private tour. Minding my own business going about 30 on the access road there was a car stopped at the right in the next intersection waiting to turn onto the access road. He, of course, was looking at the car. I was getting ready to turn right onto that street and a small truck was approaching the other guy that was stopped. The guy in the truck was still staring and ran into the stopped car.

I was surprised this happened on this street. There are probably at least 10 GTs and more Shelbys going in and out of SVT every day.