More GR-1 Lobbying

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Ford was able to create a working prototype of the GR-1 in a short amount of time because it is based on the chassis of the Ford GT. The suspension, steering and braking systems also come straight from the GT. In fact, it took only six months from the initial design sketch to the unveiling of a mockup with a fiberglass body, and it was just a few more months until they had a fully operational prototype. That commonality of parts also means there's a decent chance the GR-1 could become a production model.......

......The engine isn't mounted behind the driver's head the way it is in many high-performance cars. This is a more traditional front-engine design, created in part to fit the designer's idea for the car's shape. The transmission, a six-speed transaxle, is mounted in the rear to provide better weight distribution. This is another piece lifted directly from the GT.

How do you use the "GT Chassis" and mount the engine in the front?

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Easy. Put the body on backwards ......................... I should be an engineer.

satx

Aug 25, 2005
Dana Point
I'll Take One. :thumbsup

MUST BE A V-8. :thumbsup

V-10's belong in trucks. :bang

[OK, No Flames From All You Viper Owners] :eek

:biggrin :cheers :biggrin

obviously you have never heard a Gallardo......

build it with the lightweight V10 and keep the weight under 3400lbs!

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I'll Take One. :thumbsup

MUST BE A V-8. :thumbsup

V-10's belong in trucks. :bang

[OK, No Flames From All You Viper Owners] :eek

:biggrin :cheers :biggrin

obviously you have never heard a Gallardo......

build it with the lightweight V10 and keep the weight under 3400lbs!

Dang, I just knew I couldn’t get away with that remark. :eek :bang :eek

:cheers

04mach1

Jan 2, 2007
Small town ohio
I mean Ford is known for its V8's. I think a DOHC 427 small block would be extremly cool. But if they could get it to weigh under 3klbs with a OHV I think that would be the weigh to go.

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
They ran the GR-1 ad again at the Phoenix Nascar race. They could probably build it for what the ads cost to run.

fordification

Aug 9, 2005
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too heavy.

I thought that was a typo when I first saw the weight #. how could it be 3900????????

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
They ran the ad twice at Talledega yesterday.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
They ran the GR-1 ad again at the Phoenix Nascar race. They could probably build it for what the ads cost to run.[/QUOTE

I've been trying to locate this add and am striking out. Any help out there?:bow

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
It has been running once or twice at every race. It starts with a guy driving down the road then every historical racer passes him: 1903 ford, thunderbolt, jackie stewarts f1, red gt40, then th GR-1. Tivo a race and you will find it.

Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__VThJL1RPo

Last edited:

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
It has been running once or twice at every race. It starts with a guy driving down the road then every historical racer passes him: 1903 ford, thunderbolt, jackie stewarts f1, red gt40, then th GR-1. Tivo a race and you will find it.

Thanks for the responce. I had viewed it on TV a few weeks back and just now found it on Youtube.

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Here are some images I took of the car at the January 2005 LA Autoshow. It was the most amazing looking coupe at the event, and across from it was the red Ford GT on display. Ford looked great at this event! :banana

Attachments

• GR-1  2 ep.jpg
    GR-1 2 ep.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 295
  • GR-1  3 ep.jpg
    GR-1 3 ep.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 295
  • GR-1  4 ep.jpg
    GR-1 4 ep.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 290
  • GR-1  5 ep.jpg
    GR-1 5 ep.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 293
  • GR-1 6  ep.jpg
    GR-1 6 ep.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 293
Last edited:

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
just one more image. I suspect if they build this car, the mustang sales will significantly drop. It was listed at 80K at the 05 LA Autoshow, and you can bet that is extremely low if it is ever produced. Those kinds of ponies and styling will go for much higher! Magnificent looking machine, renders the Ferrari family equivalent to the KIA.

Attachments

• GR-1    ep.jpg
    GR-1 ep.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 291
Last edited:

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Thank's for the pics. Can never see enough of this incredible car. First time I've seen the left stripe delete on the rear fascia :frown Sure wish Goodyear would make those 345's available for the GT. :cheers

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
i hope they build this car. i would buy it for sure

vyprgt2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2005
CA
Thanks for the youtube link.

Sure seems like a hint from Ford that the GR-1 is coming! (hopefully not just wishful thinking....)

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
They should look at it like a business. Make 1,000 per year forever. Amortize the R&D across 5,000 plus units. Price it at a profit. The sad thing is that most of the R&D dollars have already been spent building the prototypes. If they build the car they have a chance of recouping the dollars that went out the door 2-3 years ago.

If they won't do it license it to Saleen or Shelby so production can happen. We need the Ford corvette or viper!!!!!!!!

mccarter1369

Ford Enthusiast
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 18, 2006
Denver, CO
A spot is waiting in my garage next to #1304!

Ditto everyone's comments. Please build it.

Mr. Genaddi

Permanent Vacation
May 9, 2007
I had a chance to sit in it at Detroit last year; they will have to do something with the packaging if it were to be built because it was even small for me. The doors were shut and there I was looking out of the windscreen checking out all of the clearances and sight angles, A-pillar vision and overall fit and finish and it is nothing like you think from looking at the outside. But like everyone else, I LOVE the look of it.

First they have to convince the stock holders, the real money behind it all, (which by the way arnt car people), that Ford really needs this car, that the people really need this car. Remember, stock holders are interested in one thing only and it is not low volume expensive sports cars!

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
Chevy has the vette, Dodge has the viper. We have the F150?????

Ford needs to build a sports car to compete and possible own the niche.