MKII engine upgrade question

930shark

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2008
Has anyone looked into adding the MKII engine upgrades to their car? Does Ford or Multimatic offer this option?

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Not very likely for warranty reasons.

JWZ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 17, 2013
Texas

Do a search for this thread:​

PERFORMANCE MODIFICATIONS​

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Has anyone looked into adding the MKII engine upgrades to their car? Does Ford or Multimatic offer this option?

In a few words, no, not possible and no it's not a factory option. I know anything is possible if you're willing to spend unlimited amounts of money but is this feasible within reason, no, not even close. And if someone did spend an insane amount to gain those few HP they would also void the warranty and crater the value of their NFGT.

Chip

Last edited:

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
My question is do you really need more power?

MarkH

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 19, 2007
Katy, Texas
My question is do you really need more power?
Let me answer that... YESSSS!!!!!

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA
Would be interesting if there was an upgrade Multimatic offered, fully authorized, similar to what Mclaren did for the "LM specification"

Reactions: Special K

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The easy part is more boost. The very hard part is the engine management programming. Very easy on the wide-open ecu for the 05-06 cars, and very difficult on the NFGT without being very, very invasive.

Reactions: Chris A.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

I was told a limiting factor is the transmission. Bumping the HP from 647 to 660 was NBD but if Ford had bumped it to 750 Getrag wouldn't have it. I'm not a tech or any type of expert here but I believe the trans would have to be upgraded or swapped for something else. The NFGT is certainly not like the old car that could withstand double the HP in relatively stock form.

Chip

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Hey! That seems like a suggestion to swap a 6-speed Ricardo manual into the NGT! :cool:

🤪

medici78

GT Owner
Dec 31, 2006
El Paso, TX
As Chip said, the transmission is going to be the limiting factor. The car with highest hp/tq equipped with the 7DCL750 seems to be the AMG GT Black Series with 720hp and 590ft/lb tq which is only 40 ft/lb more. If the internals are the same there might still be that little bit of capacity left for ecu tuning.:unsure:

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Does the Mk2 have the same trans? Knowing the scoop does cool 3 subsystem, are there differences internally from the street trans?
Mk2 is 700+HP.. The move to higher HP would probably require both a engine/trans mod to what the Mk2 has or similar. Plus probably different kits for the pre 20 and 20+ cars. Does the 750 in the trans model indicate design limits in HP?

Probably a pretty expensive kit. But 9-10% bump would be fun.
Unless Ford/Multimatic approved, it would probably affect the vehicle value, void warranty, and infringe on the software agreement that was acknowledged when buying the car. Plus after all that, Would you want a post mod warranty? Dont see a lot of upside for Ford.

Current GT is an awesome spec. Hard to beat. Want a faster track weapon, buy a MK2

medici78

GT Owner
Dec 31, 2006
El Paso, TX
Does the Mk2 have the same trans? Knowing the scoop does cool 3 subsystem, are there differences internally from the street trans?
Mk2 is 700+HP.. The move to higher HP would probably require both a engine/trans mod to what the Mk2 has or similar. Plus probably different kits for the pre 20 and 20+ cars. Does the 750 in the trans model indicate design limits in HP?

Probably a pretty expensive kit. But 9-10% bump would be fun.
Unless Ford/Multimatic approved, it would probably affect the vehicle value, void warranty, and infringe on the software agreement that was acknowledged when buying the car. Plus after all that, Would you want a post mod warranty? Dont see a lot of upside for Ford.

Current GT is an awesome spec. Hard to beat. Want a faster track weapon, buy a MK2
The 750 supposedly denotes the torque limit of 750nm torque which is 551 ft/lbs yet the AMG GT is above that with 590ft/lb. Most articles say the MKII has the same trans as the "regular" GT. The limit on the trans is going to be torque, not horsepower and media on the MKII mentions 700hp but not the torque.
If Ford/Multimatic offered a performance kit to bump up horsepower for a reasonable (for the car) price it would have A LOT of takers, me included.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
First off because of the size of the engine. Gas octane is going to be the first problem. You have a 6 cylinder engine trying to make v8 power. So detonation is going to be an issue. Now comes the hassle of running a race gas blend or e30 ethanol which would be like 94 octane and support upwards of 800+whp. The last thing I would worry about is the trans with a 60-100hp gain in one of these cars. Sure Ford says it will break cause they don't want people messing with them, but there are plenty of Mercedes GT/GTR's out there with turbo upgrades that make 8-900whp and the trans lives. I'm sure this car would wake up well with 100hp. But the trade offs will be not being able to drive it far from good gas..