Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
You see, proof positive -- its all about the doors. Car models with unique door systems sell! Must be whats' holding up GT values. :biggrin

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Agree on Doors!

For 2,700 cars x 2 to be sold out in this environment is amazing for a $200K car.

I dont think the SLR has even sold that many.

Some folks says its not great from back...well, the original 300SL was not great form back either!

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
It is an interesting looking car and I love the Schumacher commercial that I saw for it. Personally I would rather have a SL65 Black series or an SLR but give car makers credit. They figured out that buyers go nuts for modern versions of the cars that they lusted after in their youth and the gullwing mercedes is an iconic car that stuck in a lot of peoples heads.

If they can sell as many 100K+ SL classes every year it does not surprise me that this car sold out for the next two years.

FB GT40

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
May 30, 2006
Folly Beach, SC
Sls

I have a deposit on one. The 2010 production was sold out some time ago. I'm hopeful of a late 2010 or early 2011 delivery. They had two of them at Amelia Island last week. A stunning car in the flesh. Photos of the cars simply don't do it justice. It has such presence. However, MB are more interested in talking to the press than real buyers. I've never been snubbed more in a condescending attitude than by the MB attendants. And I was with a friend who is a Benz dealer!! Go figure. Even with a stick in my eye - I'll wait. This car is the closest thing I've seen to the "GT personality". They will make great stable mates!

NJGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
I drove the car at Laguna Seca last fall at a one day AMG driving event held just after the press introduction. My experience was the exact opposite of your Amelia Island treatment. The AMG product managers from MBUSA and Germany showed great pride in their first ground up car and shared that enthusiasm with the attendees most of whom are AMG owners and a number of whom had placed orders for an SLS. MB realizes that AMG owners are their most passionate owners and put on a first class event. I will be going back for the two day SLS driving event this November at Laguna Seca - love that corkscrew.

Compared to the GT I would say the SLS is a supercar that can be driven every day.

My order is scheduled for build in the first 10 days of May and should be here in June. I ordered white to match the GT but could not get the blue stripe option.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Agree on Presence.

The car is like a spaceship when doors open; its charisma can be seen from space.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
They used an SLS as the pace car in the Australian F1 - sounded amazing.

I think it's a stunner, below is a design concept.

1024_mec2_w197_sls_2.jpg

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
the back looks just fine from this angle!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I think the back looks like a Lexus.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
They used an SLS as the pace car in the Australian F1 - sounded amazing.

I think it's a stunner, below is a design concept.

1024_mec2_w197_sls_2.jpg

I like the rear Merc emblem

- must be the "it's the 5 o'clock somewhere" edition.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
I believe that if you own a sizeable trucking company and use Freightliners you will have little if any problem in moving up the unobtanium list.

That has always been the way in Europe also.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I believe that if you own a sizeable trucking company and use Freightliners you will have little if any problem in moving up the unobtanium list.

That has always been the way in Europe also.

Exactly so! :cheers

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Anyone know what the production run is going to be numberwise? Local dealer said 500 times 3 years, but different info here. I spent over an hour scrutinizing a black obsidian SLS at my local dealer. Car was ordered with CF interior and regular brakes. Stunning with the doors up. First buyer backed out and a 70 yo retired doc bought it. I'm 6'4" and fit easily in the car. Gave me the same vibe as when I first saw a GT in the flesh. Saw one on a rotating pedestal at out annual car show. Stood there like a kid in a toy store.
My dad studied mech engineering at Daimler-Benz in the 50's. I have pics of him standing next to gullwings on the assembly line. I was born in Stuttgart. Anyway, karma tells me I out to look at this car seriously.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
You "out" to learn to spell.

Which reminds me, are you in for the Rally?

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
It needs thinner tire sidewalls. Lower profile tires would finish it off nicely.

Chip

FB GT40

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
May 30, 2006
Folly Beach, SC
Sls

Our local MB dealer delivered his first SLS last week. I looked at the car for a long time. It's gorgeous! Stunning car really. Why anyone would need a 1,000 watt stereo (Bose option) in such a small cabin is beyond me. And oh by the way, it only costs $6500 :eek It stickered around $195k

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
...Why anyone would need a 1,000 watt stereo (Bose option) in such a small cabin is beyond me. And oh by the way, it only costs $6500 :eek ....

Makes our McIntosh's seem like pikers - they were only $4,000 :willy