Mecum Kissimmee GT auction result 1/13/18

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
... Not sure why market is soft...

Like DBK said - the market is all over the place. FGTs selling for high & low just like other cars. Not really a soft market. Maybe a hard & squishy market!

Ed

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
there is a lot that goes on behind the scenes at auctions, especially at BJ. I've only ever owned 2 F cars and lost money on both. no different than a some lambos and Mclarens. the Ford GTs will always be an icon in the automotive industry. people always know a GT when they see one. myself, I can't even begin to identify a lot of these newer "supercars". just too many to care for me. I was not surprised to see how the vintage muscle cars are way down compared to years ago. the basic hemi cars and even the Boss 429s didn't bring what they would have just a few years back. I thought the 69 Mustang convertible 428CJ car would have brought more but I was exact on the money when the hammer hit. rare doesn't always bring the big $$ as you might think. BJ has a knack for campaigning certain cars before the auctions and it seems to work. I've sold a few that way but you have to really be in the good graces with CJ. jmo

BAT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2012
Central Mitten
there is a lot that goes on behind the scenes at auctions, especially at BJ. I've only ever owned 2 F cars and lost money on both. no different than a some lambos and Mclarens. the Ford GTs will always be an icon in the automotive industry. people always know a GT when they see one. myself, I can't even begin to identify a lot of these newer "supercars". just too many to care for me. I was not surprised to see how the vintage muscle cars are way down compared to years ago. the basic hemi cars and even the Boss 429s didn't bring what they would have just a few years back. I thought the 69 Mustang convertible 428CJ car would have brought more but I was exact on the money when the hammer hit. rare doesn't always bring the big $$ as you might think. BJ has a knack for campaigning certain cars before the auctions and it seems to work. I've sold a few that way but you have to really be in the good graces with CJ. jmo

Yeah, I was a little surprised the 2 Boss 429's that I saw at BJ didn't go for more.

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
Yeah, I was a little surprised the 2 Boss 429's that I saw at BJ didn't go for more.
I restored the white car about 25 years ago but it looked like it had been freshly redone

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
Sitting through Barrett for several days, I didn't detect much softness when it comes to the GT; with commission, prices were well north of 300k, and these cars were not in perfect condition by any stretch. The only number that had me scratching my head regarding the GT was the beautiful TT car Shelby Smith built; it went for 298 (plus 10%). That car was magnificent, and the aftermarket parts on it were amazing.

The other non-GT surprises were the 918, which REALLY struggled after 1m (required all sorts of goading by Craig himself), and the Ridler winner. I would have been a serious buyer of that car had I known the price it would go for. Oh well, I'm sticking to my guns to NEVER buy a car at auction. However, this year had me more tempted than ever...

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Stuff seemed all over the place.

"Carroll Shelby's" FGT was $489.5k with fees at Bohnams!!!???
Also at Bohnams was a 918 sold for $1.295m, but an acid green 911r was $478k
Gooding had a red 918 that was a no sale at $1.55m (hammer)
CGT $715k
P1 $1.732m
Huara $2.09m
LFA $825k
VW 21 window bus $220k ??!!

Gooding seemed healthy with not many no sales, with one notable, one of their feature cars, the Jag d type was a no sale at $8.85m (hammer). Auctioneer worked hard, and they were one bid away from the reserve. Another notable, was their Ferrari 275 GTB that sold for $8.085m.

RM got $302k for their GT.
They also are reporting sales of 88% of the lots

Auction week is a LOT of fun to go to.

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
The grabber green and white cars sold for about $250K.