Mclaren MP4 market

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I know a few guys here have the MP4 and seem to like them. I looked into one about a year ago. Got the run around from the Florida dealer, and went with a 458 instead. I've had the 458 for over a year. It's hard to fault it to be honest. It's an amazing car, and the dealer closest to me (about 2 hrs away) has been great for routine service. However, I know it's not a long term keeper, like my GT is. Consequently I've been getting the itch for something new.

It seems that nearly new (under 1000mi ) 2012 Mclarens are selling some $40-70k under sticker now. Pretty surprising as I've seen one or two asking close to $200k, which makes me think might be time to look into one. Of course, folks like Shelby will know the market better than me. Certainly don't hold their value as well as Ferraris.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
The Mac got some bad press about design and sound, even though its performance surpasses the Bugatti according to some.

I have both 458 and Mac spider. I think the spider will hold value a bit better. Its introduction was better and well received. It has the HP/sound upgrade. I was waiting to be disappointed but the sound with the sport exhaust is great. It drives every bit as well as the 458 but notieably faster . Interior layout is better on Mac. Doors are cool. On design its every bit the, headturner as the F car.

I will try to do a comparo late. They all depreciate EXCEPT the GT, so my feeling is if you like it buy it.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
I'm hearing up here, without a problem, new ones are 35K under MSRP, you'll see them break the 200 on the downside on lightly used cars, just look!!!

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I'm hearing up here, without a problem, new ones are 35K under MSRP, you'll see them break the 200 on the downside on lightly used cars, just look!!!

I think at under $200k, it's a hell of a supercar bargain.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Have seen no coupes under 200. Some spiders over MSRP

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I have seen some coupes retailing in the $200-210k range. I told DoctorV8 about one in SF for $207k and his local dealer said they would match that discount off MSRP. At $200-210k that's a pretty unbelievable car. Performance wise, you're not doing any better with a $400k Aventador.

I think you are right in that the Spider will hold better, as will the car in general now with the HP update. There's also no performance downside to the Spider.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I have seen some coupes retailing in the $200-210k range. I told DoctorV8 about one in SF for $207k and his local dealer said they would match that discount off MSRP. At $200-210k that's a pretty unbelievable car. Performance wise, you're not doing any better with a $400k Aventador.

I think you are right in that the Spider will hold better, as will the car in general now with the HP update. There's also no performance downside to the Spider.

Agree - personally I'm more of a coupe guy than a spider guy. Been thinking it may be time to trade out my 458 for a new toy.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Agree - personally I'm more of a coupe guy than a spider guy. Been thinking it may be time to trade out my 458 for a new toy.

I give you $165k for 458. Please send wire info.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I give you $165k for 458. Please send wire info.

Please send the $ first to my account in Nigeria :)

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia

Be stupid like me and get both. It's great when you are in the hunt, and then you sit up at night and think , " now why do I have both of them?"

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
"At $200-210k that's a pretty unbelievable car. Performance wise, you're not doing any better with a $400k "

Damn straight there. $200 large is unbelievable for a Mac.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Was talking to an associate of mine this afternoon, the local Mac dealer has been stalking him, even after he told him that they were "too far apart", on trade and purchase. He has a 08 Gallardo/egear that is mint, that he likes, but he's "lusting" for the Mac. The dealer keeps coming, I suggested that he put an end to it, that if he really wants to "do the trade", or have him go away.............give him your drop dead spread #. Either it flies or dies. The car he's interested in, has been at the dealership for 5 months, it's a new 2012. He's willing to do the deal at an 80 spread. I say it's closer to a 90, but what do you have to lose.

BelgianGT

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2010
Belgium
Those Mclaren sales guy seem to be the same all over the globe. when I bought mine I wanted to trade in the Aston V12v. At first he named me a price I'd fall over but he kept insisting and finally asked ... What's it worth to you? i named a price andafter some days he found the solution = the price I wanted to give for it. The value of these cars seem to get a big hit after the first year and after one year seem to be more stable. I opted for a new one as with the first production there were too many issues. the dealer also mentioned me that the Mp4 already received several modifications and software alterations.
Afterall... What are we kidding ourselves.... With exception of the fgt there aren't any cars around out there on which you don't get a hit. If one is too focused on that keep your money in the bank but then again you can't enjoy all those beauties...

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
one of my favorite cars to be honest... just sold my orange one through shelby for a HUGE loss though (205k) since i can't justify having two.. (only bought two because my ordered car was supposed to be way delayed and they had an "extra" that they could put me in while i waited 12 months for mine... cool until my ordered car arrived 4 weeks later! ugh) only complaint i have was with how mclaren handled that... or rather refused to handle what they said...

BelgianGT

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2010
Belgium
one of my favorite cars to be honest... just sold my orange one through shelby for a HUGE loss though (205k) since i can't justify having two.. (only bought two because my ordered car was supposed to be way delayed and they had an "extra" that they could put me in while i waited 12 months for mine... cool until my ordered car arrived 4 weeks later! ugh) only complaint i have was with how mclaren handled that... or rather refused to handle what they said...

That's really a dishonest dealer! 12months and than suddenly within 4 weeks?? Production, shipment, custom clearance and deliver all within 4 weeks. Strange ni.
After .4 days of ownership I was so pi... Off with the car with all alarms and bugs that I called the dealer to pick it up again or I'll put it on fire. So they picked it up and.had it for an entire week to correct it. when it came back it was another car and now it's become my preferred daily driver. It's smalll, light, agile fast.mmmm. It still could use a small chip tuning and await Evoms to update their tuning package.
Still having small features(bugs) doors difficult to close, windows don't close completely, Nav not working properly, ...

Infantryman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2011
Ohio
I'm in the same boat as JaxGT. Was at first thinking of trading the TT FGT for a Mac MP4, until my wife suggested an alternative. So now I think I'll DX my '09 GT-R and 2011 Hemi Jeep Rubicon conversion, and my '05 SLK55 AMG to get the Mac. That'll accomplish two missions: Make a little more room in the garage, and get me a(nother) supercar that's comfortable (and hopefully dependable) enough to use as something close to a daily driver.

I was a little concerned at the number of MP4-12C's on the market, but aside from some early production issues, I'm not hearing much negative about them from those who've owned them for awhile.... if I'm missing something, I wish the current owners (who drive them often enough to have "extended experience") would speak up! My guess is that I'll have one in the garage in a week or so, one way or the other!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I would definitely not trade the TT FGT for an MP4 if it's the only GT you've got. One going up, other going down. Only 1 GT. The prices on the MP4 seem to have stabilized a little recently. JaxGT and I have been throwing MP4 stuff back and forth and I've noticed that there definitely seems to be a little pickup in the spring demand. I have to get rid of a car, but I'd definitely like to have an MP4 this summer.

I don't know anyone that has anything negative to say about the actually driving experience of the car. Peak, GTDrummer, BelgianGT, Texas Mongrel, and a regular Rally attendee that doesn't post really seem to enjoy their MP4s. Looks good, sounds good, really goes like hell. There seem to be some annoyances with windows not sealing properly and other little issues, but that's par for the supercar course. Check out mclarenlife.com.

BelgianGT

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2010
Belgium
I really really like the mclaren as a daily driver - hit on it when you want to - put it in comfort mode when you want to but I will NEVER EVER trade in a Ford GT for it. The mp4 is a modern car full of electronic gadgets which makes it real fast and easily controlable. To me the ford gt is the beast without all those gadgets and therefore still makes it the real car.

I did find the trick how to seal properly the windows :)! The Nav is still forgetting the highway exits but... Makes me enjoy it more and excuse for being late ( allways look on the bright side of life )

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
( allways look on the bright side of life )

I love that quote! At the end of Spamalot - there was a sing along to that song - confetti poured from the ceiling... awesome

The song was a good end to a not-as-good movie....

BelgianGT

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2010
Belgium
I love that quote! At the end of Spamalot - there was a sing along to that song - confetti poured from the ceiling... awesome

The song was a good end to a not-as-good movie....

I also like the whissle at the end but impossible to immitate that in writing.