McIntosh Relocation with Mods

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I have had a complete Mac relocate kit for a couple of years. I've been reluctant to install it, because of the loss of storage space behind the seats.

My idea is to mount the speaker box and amp on racks or slide mounts, and use stereo plugs for the wiring. Then, when I need the space for travel, I pull the components and leave them at home.

I figure a competent car stereo shop could help me figure out the mounts.

Are there any fatal flaws with this concept?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

550rwhp

GT Owner
Nov 6, 2012
North of Dallas, Texas
What about installing the amp in the front trunk space and fitting the door inserts with speakers?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I have everything needed to install as Shadowman and ACR Joe engineered. I simply want to make the amp and speaker box plug and play. Without having pulled anything apart yet, I don't know if I'll run into problems, as with clearance for example.

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
If you can wait until I get down there I'll be glad to help.

Howard

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Conceptually, very feasible. Both the amp and SW are essentially surface mounted and further, they are mounted to panels that are made and covered - and then installed into the GT. Really only two steps here; 1) Determine the connectors that you would like to use, and; 2) As you say, determine some kind of trick mount/dismount system for both of the components. For the wiring, the input wired are shielded so these should also use a shielded type of plug - like a simple RCA connector. The only downside is the need to take it all out when you travel...... and you can only listen to that lovely 5.4!

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Kendall, Thank you for the advice!

Howard, Thank you too. I thought I might get it done while the car is grounded by the lovebug plague. So far, I've taken all the parts out and looked at them.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Aug 25, 2006
I have everything needed to install as Shadowman and ACR Joe engineered. I simply want to make the amp and speaker box plug and play. Without having pulled anything apart yet, I don't know if I'll run into problems, as with clearance for example.

Not a problem; I installed most on an aluminum panel that can be easily slipped in/out when being used.

Any questions do not hesitate to ask me.

Takes care

Shadowman

andymlow

GT Owner
May 17, 2007
Sarasota, FL
Talk to SRQ Audio. I've used them for extensive installs and they are top notch