McIntosh & iPod

mlane

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 27, 2008
Coto de Caza, CA
Has anyone hooked up and iPod to the McIntosh? If so what is the best and easiest way to do so? Is there a audio jack on the back of the stereo to hook into?

Team Jeff

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2007
Try a search if you haven't already. There is a thread with photos floating around here somewhere.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
There is a long thread on this, but, in a nutshell, use lots of blue masking tape and towels to protect the console and the head unit housing. You will need the special, Ford only, tools to pull the radio (Torrie McPhail has them in stock). Pull off the two side metal strips with the special tool (this is much harder than it sounds). Mine were superglued in place at the factory by accident. Once the side metal srtips are off, slide the release tool into each side and release the radio and slide it out. On the back is a taped wire with two RCA plugs on it (one for right, one for left). Plug in iPod cord, run it wherever you want from behind (I used driver's side), slide radio back in until it locks, replace side bars.

If you're not used to installing radios, or you're not mechanically inclined, better let an expert do it. Spirit was able to get his hand behind the radio without removing it, slit the tape that holds the RCA plug cord, remove the plugs, and plug the iPod cord without removing the radio. I don't have very big hands, but I couldn't do it. There are also alternative cords that will charge and connect at the same time. Do a search.

Aug 25, 2006
Has anyone hooked up and iPod to the McIntosh? If so what is the best and easiest way to do so? Is there a audio jack on the back of the stereo to hook into?

Yes several times and you are welcome to PM me and I will do as I can to assist you.

The radio should IMO be removed; at least slid forward enough to access the back of it (others such as Spirit) were able to complete the process without however this method works painlessly every time.

Loads of blue tape, a little of your time, and you will have your iPod integrated.

Takes care

Shadowman

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Piece of cake.

My Macintosh has Shadowmans speaker relocation box which I installed along with two different iPod jacks with no damage and using only three tools. 1. A telephone (to call the GT guys), 2. A fountain pen, and 3. A checkbook. In about an hour while you consume a delicious cool refreshing beverage this task will take care of itself. The radio sounds incredible when hooked up to the iPod, better than other car stereos I own that cost far more.

Chip

Aug 25, 2006
My Macintosh has Shadowmans speaker relocation box which I installed along with two different iPod jacks with no damage and using only three tools. 1. A telephone (to call the GT guys), 2. A fountain pen, and 3. A checkbook. In about an hour while you consume a delicious cool refreshing beverage this task will take care of itself. The radio sounds incredible when hooked up to the iPod, better than other car stereos I own that cost far more.

Chip

Now that was perfect

Takes care

Shadowman

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Why did I always know that the Chipster was a fountain pen guy?

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
I see your in CAL. the weather must be nice still out west.

Take your GT to Discovery up north and have a coffee look over the well tricked out Shadow Gt and travel home with good tunes and a sub relocation.

I beleive it is free but the coffee and tour get a bit pricey:lol

mlane

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 27, 2008
Coto de Caza, CA
Thanks for the input!

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Thanks Frank ! I do have the radio removal tool's here on my desk next to me !

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
anyone use a ipod FM transmitter wireless device

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I've tried them in other vehicles. If you're on the rural interstate, they're OK, but in town, they don't work so good. Neilda has also stated they are illegal in the UK.

silver1331

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2008
Chicago, IL
anyone use a ipod FM transmitter wireless device

I have had 3 and they were all HORRIBLE!!

I have a decent overall solution: Shelby put an Aux In between the start button and lighter (looks stock) and then i bought a Kensington Liquidaux and it works great. Looks nice and clean. Since the aux out is part of the kensington charger/holder it makes for a clean setup with no wires dangling around and it holds the ipod so you can see the screen easily. Plus it has a little velcro remote you can attach to your steering wheel so you can change tracks while driving without having to fiddle with the ipod. Overall a pretty decent/clean solution and so far I have had no problems with the sound quality.

Attachments

• B0011UK2HO-2._V12678596_.jpg
    B0011UK2HO-2._V12678596_.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I've tried them in other vehicles. If you're on the rural interstate, they're OK, but in town, they don't work so good. Neilda has also stated they are illegal in the UK.

I believe the law recently changed on this in the UK, so they're no longer contravening the Royal Wireless & Telegraph Act of 1907.

We move fast here in the UK.

In fact I hear they're now working on a magic box where through something called 'Electrickery' moving pictures from London can be seen. It's the devils work.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
I believe the law recently changed on this in the UK, so they're no longer contravening the Royal Wireless & Telegraph Act of 1907.

We move fast here in the UK.

In fact I hear they're now working on a magic box where through something called 'Electrickery' moving pictures from London can be seen. It's the devils work.

Ha!

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
Chip, Fred or somebody......Please tell me the secret to reinstalling my radio antennae cable to the back of the Mac radio. It came out and I can put my hand on it and see it on the rt side of the radio. The two strips are easily removed but what next (without the proper radio removal tool)? Can I cheat and use a butter knife or a "pen" ? Is it even necessary to remove the radio to re-plug the antennae?
:confused