Maui Wowie $$$$$$$

jsalomon

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 20, 2006
Newport Beach, CA
Guys, I am minding my own buisness vacationing on Maui Hawaii, while driving by the only Ford Dealership on the island....and I see a blue with white GT sitting on the front lawn! I had to stop and see how much they were asking for it. My wife was nice enough to let me do so (I promised no car crazy stuff while on vacation...Oh well).

I walked up to the car and guess what they were asking for it....$258,000.00 over MSRP! Almost $500,000.00 for the car! Thats a high price for a GT when the average speed limit is only 40 MPH! and the highest is 50 MPH on Maui.

So, for fun I told the salesman to ask his manager if they would take cash right now at MSRP. He said he didn't think so, but he would ask. The answer was not just no, but HELL NO! The sales manager, said that they have sold three so far on Maui at close to the asking price. Could this be true?

If there are any GT owners from Maui on this forum, please verify!!!! Because, I can buy one in California at MSRP or below and ship it over for only $2,000.00!!! (I'll only ask $50,000 over MSRP) What a Deal!!! :wink

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
That's not the first time I've heard of such a price out there. Ridiculous.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I just got mine state side for under list. Thanks one heck of a transport / destination charge !!!!

BlackStorm

Sep 7, 2006
Houston, TX
Dang! That's crazy! Hey, it's all about "what the market will bare," more power to 'em.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
That means the car is really not for sale. However you will pay a premium in HI just like in CA. Although the premium in HI is probably the highest in the US second only the CA.

BlackICE

MDT

GT Owner
Jun 24, 2006
When I read your headline I thought someone head painted dophins on their GT....thank goodness it's just a high price.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I wonder how good the dealer is? I mean, you spend a cool half mill and then maybe need an oil change, or the axle bolts go pop. How helpful will this dealer be?

What extra will he do for you when you've given him a $250k margin?

Big Carrot

GT Owner
May 13, 2006
Dallas
MDT said:
When I read your headline I thought someone head painted dophins on their GT....thank goodness it's just a high price.

HAHA!! Like Remster's Viper! When I was in Vegas a few weeks ago I stopped by the Exotic car joint in Ceasar's Palace. The Christian Laissen place next door had a Murcialago that they had ruined with a dolphin painting on the hood. What kind of IDIOT would do that???

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
I thought Unique was bad enough when they painted numbers on the doors of Tony Stewart's Murcie. Yechhh.

BTW did you notice in that same Unique Whips show the guy who put on the window tinting put it on the OUTSIDE of the windows!!!! Nice craftsmanship! :thumbsup

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
"J":
People on Maui HAVE TO BE aware of what GT's are going for over here on the "mainland", wouldn't ya think??? I mean, I know life is s-l-o-w-e-r over there, but, 'they GOTTA' have computers after all, don't they?!
And here I thought the Ford dealer network had harvested all the, "Gotta have it at any price!", dudes at LEAST by the end of '05. Leno only paid, what, $400K for his as the story goes? And HIS was the 2nd car for sale to the public! ('Way back in '04, wasn't it?) Yet they're pushin' to get more for this "Maui Wowie" today? REE-DICKA-LUS! :ack I shudder to think what the locals must be paying for a new Focus at that dealership! :lol

GordonWolf

Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 26, 2006
Las Vegas
MT Pockets,
Most all luxury cars go at full sticker plus b.s. charges in Hawaii. Lexus, BMW, Benz, etc. We always ask the local dealer to match a realistic price (some do, some do not). We usually end up purchasing from the mainland. Shipping runs about $1000. or so.

AJK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
BlackStorm said:
Dang! That's crazy! Hey, it's all about "what the market will bare," more power to 'em.

It just supports the old saying, " there's one born every minute and most of them live. "

jsalomon

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 20, 2006
Newport Beach, CA
GordonWolf said:
MT Pockets,
Most all luxury cars go at full sticker plus b.s. charges in Hawaii. Lexus, BMW, Benz, etc. We always ask the local dealer to match a realistic price (some do, some do not). We usually end up purchasing from the mainland. Shipping runs about $1000. or so.

Gordon, The dealership said that they have sold 3 already close to that price. Could that be true? I agree with some of the comments on this thread so far. Don't these people check on line? As you said it is very inexpensive to ship a car over!

I would really like to hear from the people who did buy from this dealer to see if he is just "Talking Stories" as they say here on Maui!!!!

By the way, I did ask about service and they did say they have a guy who has been certified by Ford to work on the GT....Could that be another Story?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Gordon:
Yup. 'Know all about Hawaii's "add ons". 'Only place I know of where whipped cream costs $150K for a half pint!!!!
'Wife & I lived there for two years back in the days when I was "saluted".
I was bein' a wise guy about the Focus!!!!! ( And the whipped cream too for that matter!) :biggrin :lol
Paradise costs yuh ...

jsalomon

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 20, 2006
Newport Beach, CA
I just talked to a guy here on Maui that bought a new Shelby GT Mustang from the same dealer. He said the dealer was asking for $40,000.00 over MSRP ($89,000.00). He ended up paying $35,000.00 over. The guy said that they do not bargan too much and sooner or later someone will buy!

I didn't have the heart to tell him that you can get one state side for under $20,000 over. Again it only cost around $1,200 to $2,000 to ship to Hawaii.

Looks like I just found a new importing buisness!!!!!! Anyone want to join me? :lol

P.S. Still looking for someone on Maui with a GT to verify all this????

GordonWolf

Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 26, 2006
Las Vegas
P.S. Still looking for someone on Maui with a GT to verify all this????[/QUOTE]

I'm heading back to Hawaii next monday and I'll find out what they actually sell for. I saw my neighbor there had a GT in his garage, If he paid that much over sticker, I'll be selling him my house!

jsalomon

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 20, 2006
Newport Beach, CA
GordonWolf said:

I'm heading back to Hawaii next monday and I'll find out what they actually sell for. I saw my neighbor there had a GT in his garage, If he paid that much over sticker, I'll be selling him my house![/QUOTE]

Gordon, What island to you live on? Just wondering, because I have a home on Maui and So. Ca. I will be here on Monday as well (leaving Tuesday). If you are on Maui, let me know. Maybe we can meet and discuss car stuff.

Have a good flight, Jim

GordonWolf

Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 26, 2006
Las Vegas
Thanks Jim,
Sorry we'll miss you on Maui. We're on Oahu for a few days, then heading to China for about 3 weeks... We hope to do a SoCa. GT run when we get back... I keep watching the forum for event schedules that we could make.
Have a great trip also!
GW

jsalomon

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 20, 2006
Newport Beach, CA
Gordon,

Have a safe trip. If you PM me, and give me your contact info. I will keep you informed about any So. Cal. events.

Take Care, Jim

GordonWolf

Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 26, 2006
Las Vegas
Hawaii Pricing Snapshot

jsalomon said:
I just talked to a guy here on Maui that bought a new Shelby GT Mustang from the same dealer. He said the dealer was asking for $40,000.00 over MSRP ($89,000.00). He ended up paying $35,000.00 over. The guy said that they do not bargan too much and sooner or later someone will buy!

I didn't have the heart to tell him that you can get one state side for under $20,000 over. Again it only cost around $1,200 to $2,000 to ship to Hawaii.

Looks like I just found a new importing buisness!!!!!! Anyone want to join me? :lol

Here's what they told me...

Maui sold a red one for about $200k. They want $419k (make offer) for their blue/wht. w/mac. Probably won't take less than 200k..? :eek

Oahu sold a blu/wht to a foreign visitor for 325k. A blk one and a tungston one for 20k over sticker. Asking 289k for a heritage.

Dealers are pushing the fact that they are no longer made! :thumbsup

Mustangs are selling at 40k over. :eek