Macintosh Audio

glord

GT Owner
Mar 25, 2006
Los Gatos California
Has anyone else had a problem with the balance on the Macintosh system? To me, it sounds as if the left speaker is very muffled. Such that it really only sounds like the right speaker is working.

Every once in a while the sound will "come on". With sound coming out of the left speaker, and enhanced sound coming out of the center speaker.

I took it into the dealer suspecting a problem in the connection of the left speaker. The delaer believes it is functioning normally.

Any thoughts?

Gary

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Sit on the passenger side and repeat the test. I am guessing that you will now think the muffled side has moved to the passenger side. My reasoning is that high frequencies are much more directional and because of the location and aim of the tweeters you don't hear them from the side you are sitting at.

BlackICE

glord said:
Has anyone else had a problem with the balance on the Macintosh system? To me, it sounds as if the left speaker is very muffled. Such that it really only sounds like the right speaker is working.

Every once in a while the sound will "come on". With sound coming out of the left speaker, and enhanced sound coming out of the center speaker.

I took it into the dealer suspecting a problem in the connection of the left speaker. The delaer believes it is functioning normally.

Any thoughts?

Gary

Last edited:

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Does it only happen with a particlar CD or media of some sort?

Dave

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
My first guess would be that the speakers are out of phase. Maybe someone crossed the wires. The only way to tell is to follow them back from the crossover and then from then amp.

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
no problem here...other then that fuguly bump that sits in my interior

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Clean the wax out of your left ear.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Are you refering to some kind of polyp? It was National Colon Week last week.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
south FL
You are right--Sounds like a loose connection. The wires were probably making contact when at the dealer. Did it sound ok when you took it to the dealer? Also you should only hear bass(lows) out of the center speaker. I'm not sure what you mean by enhanced sound??

Does your balance knob work? Turn it to the left speaker and see what happens. I have blown speakers before and it seems as the volume is increased the sound comes on. Did the dealer pull the speakers out to check them and the connections?

Maybe your legs are blocking the sound- use the balance setting to compensate.
Just my 2cents- and remember the best music is the sound right behind your right ear.

Hope you work it out.

Manny #1418

Bullitt

Mar 25, 2006
BlackICE said:
Sit on the passenger side and repeat the test. I am guessing that you will now think the muffled side has moved to the passenger side. My reasoning is that high frequencies are much more directional and because of the location and aim of the tweeters you don't hear them from the side you are sitting at.

BlackICE

We already tried that. The problem is in the speaker/door. We turned the balance al the way to the drivers side, and there was no sound !! The problem is in the speaker/door.

He's my dad thats how I know!!

Jazz76

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 9, 2006
Harleysville, PA
no sound from center speaker

I have no sound coming from center speaker. Is there an adjustment somewhere? All I can find is left / right balance. I have the Mac.

Hubert

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
Sound

Sound comes out of all of my speakers....just sounds like crap. Who's big idea was it to put a piece of crap Macintosh in these things anyway? I thought the Ford Engineers built this car for themselves. They really screwed up at the last minute. :thumbsdow Obvoiusly I didn't special order this car. :ack

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Jazz76, over the left control (on/off/volume) there is a small black button for bass and treble adjustment. Push it and it will pop out. Turning that will adjust bass or treble (cannot remember which). Pull it toward you and that will adjust the other. Then crank it up! :banana

Beach-GT, I cannot agree with you more. I LOVE everything about the car but the Mac. Radio Engineers must have been smoking/dropping some of those GT40 mid 60's drugs when they decided on this set up. Anyone else get crappy AM reception? I drive the GT to work once and awhile and am a morning talk radio junkie. Who on the Ford Board of Directors owns Mac stock?!?!?!?!?

Last edited:

TrackDay

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2006
McIntosh DIV Question

Question for those with a McIntosh stereo:
With the key on in the run position and the radio turned on to FM, if you press and hold the AM/FM band button and then press the number 5 memory select button you will see DIV ON, press memory 5 button again while still holding the AM/FM band down and it will switch to DIV OFF.
What is DIV ON and DIV OFF?
I do not see any reference to this in the 05 owners guide.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Beach-GT said:
Sound comes out of all of my speakers....just sounds like crap. Who's big idea was it to put a piece of crap Macintosh in these things anyway? I thought the Ford Engineers built this car for themselves. They really screwed up at the last minute. :thumbsdow Obvoiusly I didn't special order this car. :ack

cool avitar award of the day :banana

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
photo of relocated Mac amp on a GT

I replaced my Mac Subwoofer & enclosure with the Ford non-Mac panel. I removed the child restraint bracket & had a local stereo store fabricate a panel to bolt in place of the bracket. The Mac amp was attached to this panel. Most of the amp is covered by the soft packet. The heat doesn't seem to be a problem. The passenger seat can go completely to the rear but the seat back can't be completely back - perhaps 90-95% back though. The stereo store charged me $225 since they had to remove the seat to do the amp relocate, harness extension & ground wire extension. I removed the Mac subwoofer & enclosure then brought it to the stereo shop. I'm sure they could have done everything for under $300. The sound is almost the same I think. I'm not the best at determining sound quality though. I listen to Oldies so there isn't a lot of boom to those songs. I only listen to music when I'm stuck in traffic; otherwise, it's the music of the exhaust! Soon to be my Bob Ida exhaust system.

relocated_Mac_amp_in_place_of_child_restraint_bracket.JPG

Ed

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nicely done Ed. Thanks for posting the photo. I am considering doing the same. Maybe we can get Analog Designer to make up a kit that does this.