lowered seat height / gurnee bubble question

bradst4s

Oct 24, 2005
hello all - am hoping that one of you will be able to help me with my two questions - if already answered I apologize in advance but couldn't find the answers via a search.

I'm seriously considering buying a 2006 GT as a way to pay homage to my grandather (who, besides being my best friend, was also involved in the original GT40 program at Ford) and although we talked about this car many many times - he passed away before it was was available.

I am 6'2 - and after sitting in several different GTs and test driving one - I realize that in order for me to not hit my head I will need to lower my seat some. I have read that at least one other owner has done that on this board but no information as to "how" it was done.

My second question is regarding the "gurnee bubble" - I know that Dan Gurnee's birthday present GT had this bubble installed over a year ago. I thought this was a "one-off" but when my dad was touring the GT plant several months ago, he saw several other cars - on the line - with the bubble installed. Our dealer can't find any information on this or how to order. Does any one have any information about this?

Thanks for any and all help. Drive/Ride Safe.
Brad

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Do a search for Gurney, bubble, etc. there have been a few threads. One of the original protypes had a bubble as did other vehicles. It can be added by any competetnt body shop.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Barondw is right i know of 2 with the bubble , WITH PICTURES FROM THE FACTORY!! One is red , gurneys the other blue , white stripes , basketball player. call the factory direct ect. what i heard its about 1500 to do. One of my buddys 6 foot 4 sat in it and cleared by alot, very comfortable, he reports. get the car , enjoy the ride..gtjoey1314 :thumbsup

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
barondw said:
Do a search for Gurney, bubble, etc. there have been a few threads. One of the original protypes had a bubble as did other vehicles. It can be added by any competetnt body shop.

I know RaceDeck dropped his seat. You can contact him on this site or his company, Race Deck out of Utah for more data. Good luck. :wink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
south FL
Has anyone raised their seat? I have the opposite problem- too short. I know the front of the car is a bit long- but I feel I would benefit from a higher point of view.

Do you remember when you were a kid and the barber put a phonebook under your bottom? Will I have to resort to that?

Manny #1418

FrankBarba

Permanent Vacation
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 16, 2005
Harrisburg, PA
GTJoey.....Can you email those pictures with the Bubble Top? I'd like to add them to my GT Picture File Folder.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Brad, I'm 6'3 and have no problems. I do have to angle my head very slightly when closing the door, but once inside, I'm fine. The only difficulty is when racing the car as my crash helmet is tight on the roof, which is actually a bit dangerous!

bradst4s

Oct 24, 2005
thanks for info so far

hello all - thanks for the info so far.

barondw - tried a search but just saw some pics of the bubble - do you know of a specific link?

gtjoey - thought gurneys was red - but saw that one when it was given to him as a bday present which is what got me thinking about the bubble - do you have a pic of the blue one with a bubble? (blue is the only color I want) - factory was closed yesterday and my dealer is calling the factory today to try to find out.

bony - thanks - sent an e-mail to race deck - am waiting for his reply (plus his garage system might be better than epoxy in my condo garage)

neilda - i have to lower my head now to close the door but when closed have less than a finger width between my head and "ceiling" - so depending on bumpiness in road depends on how much my head hits. I also like track days and couldn't sit without my helmet hitting or having my head sideways ( though like the car doing that at times). although shorter than you I have a "tall torso" - reason why I can't drive the superformance cobra of my dads (my head is over wind screen - besides knee hitting wheel to use clutch) or the 57-bird - can't get into either if the tops are up (guess good way for my dad to keep me from taking those toys out)

speaking of track days - anyone install a 4 or 5 point harness?

1418 - looking at the seat looks relatively easy to raise - just have to have some spacers made - thought I could use lower rails but without taking the seats out (dealer wouldn't let me) - was at a loss for an "easy" plugnplay lowering solution.

Thanks again for all your help - but any more info much appreciated.

Drive / ride safe.
Brad ST4S

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Brad

I just did a search using bubble and 6/7 threads came up. Understand bubble will give you threads on paint problems, the Gurney bubble, and any other type of bubble.

Also do a serach for racing harnesses as this has also been discussed on various threads.

Dave

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Yes , the bubble car was blue with white stripes,and yes gurneys was red with white stripes.call the factory tomorrow. I tell you i would order an extra door just to put on the wall for the hell of it, pretty cool huh. i do like the look whether your tall enough or not. :thumbsup gtjoey 1314

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Birdman93 said:
Here are some images of test vehicle #4, with the Gurney bubble in place.

Interested to learn more about this test GT.. any data?

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
bony said:
Interested to learn more about this test GT.. any data?

I believe that vehicle less engine is at the SVT facility in Detroit. It looks identical to the vehicle that I saw parked in the lot with many other interesting cars, not GTs.

Dave

bradst4s

Oct 24, 2005
still wondering

Hi all - did a search and although found many references to the "bubble" - but no specific information as to who has one - or knows how to get one.

The prototype mule was interesting but looking at the pictures the bubble is on the roof of the car (doors are different from production).

The contact at the factory was on vacation last week so hopefully know if and how I can order it directly.

I tried to reach Race Deck but haven't had a response - has anyone else lowered their seats?

Hope all are well / driving safe.
Brad ST4S

AMER SPD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 18, 2005
Northern California
Bubble

It's my understanding that the Bubble is strictly appearance only and there is no additional headroom.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
bradst4s said:
Hi all - did a search and although found many references to the "bubble" - but no specific information as to who has one - or knows how to get one.

The prototype mule was interesting but looking at the pictures the bubble is on the roof of the car (doors are different from production).

The contact at the factory was on vacation last week so hopefully know if and how I can order it directly.

I tried to reach Race Deck but haven't had a response - has anyone else lowered their seats?

Hope all are well / driving safe.
Brad ST4S

I have no idea what RaceDeck did, but one thing you might consider is removing the foam from the seats and having it replaced with MemoryFoam,
it will compress and then come back to the original shape of the seat. You should be able to pick up some important inches. A top upholstey shop should help you out and be aware of the patented product.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
AMER SPD said:
It's my understanding that the Bubble is strictly appearance only and there is no additional headroom.

If you are talking about the prototype I believe you are mistaken. There is additional room inside.

Dave

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
AMER SPD said:

I just got off the phone with Kathy at All American Racers and she was kind enough to take a look at Dan Gurney's car. The bubble is functional and was ordered from Ford that way. However she said the work was done at Saleen here in So. Cal.

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
Is the bubble easily reversable? If not your going to take a huge Hit on Resale, if you care.

RaceDeck

*Supporting Vendor & GT Owner*
Supporting Vendor
Aug 11, 2005
SLC Utah
You won't take a hit if the guy you sell it to is over 6"1" ...I would love to do it to mine. I am on the look out for a "spare door" :wink

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Several tall people wrote on another thread that their height is not a problem. When I first got in the car, roof was too close. But after movin the seat forward a little (good leg room) then reclining the back so I'm in a little more of a lay-out position, roof is not an issue (though I do still duck when I close it :biggrin )