lowered seat height / gurnee bubble question

CHAD

GT Owner
Feb 17, 2006
Sarasota, FL
That would be the ticket for using a helmet. I fit perfect without one but have to recline until I can barely reach the shifter with my helmet on. I want one. Or at least a seat lowering kit.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
AZGT said:
Several tall people wrote on another thread that their height is not a problem. When I first got in the car, roof was too close. But after movin the seat forward a little (good leg room) then reclining the back so I'm in a little more of a lay-out position, roof is not an issue (though I do still duck when I close it :biggrin )

Layout position is not what you want when you are on the track. You want to sit relatively straight up so your butt can feel what the car is doing.

Height is a problem for some one wearing a helmet if they are about 5'11" or taller and not short in their torso. Also as Chad posted once reclined you are further away from the shifter and that is totally unacceptable when wearing a helmet.

Dave

66GT40

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 18, 2005
Gurney Bubble

The correct style and size Gurney bubble is available from ERA Replica Automobiles in New Britain, CT. Phone 860 224 0253 and ask for Peter. I'v installed one on the 66 GT40 I'm building and it works fine for me at 6' 2" tall.
Jerry

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Gurney bubble

I just watched the Discovery video today called Rebuilding a Race Car Legend - Ford GT. The first workhorse proto GT built had the bubble but the engineers were able to change the front suspension in order to elongate the interior leg room.

When the first three GT cars were built, Dan Gurney (still 6'4") drove one with "plenty of headroom" as he stated. They showed him with helmut on the track.