lost keys

enrico

GT Owner
Jul 20, 2010
London, UK
very embarrassing but it seems that my first set of keys decided to vanish :facepalm: (technically they might have slipped off my pocket while on a cab...)

luckily I have a second set but was just wondering if there is a way to re-program the chip / codes on the second key to render the lost one useless (at least electronically). Did a search and there seems to be a way to program a new key by turning the key a number of times on and off but not sure if that would work if you only have one key left and if that would wipe out previous security codes

the GT is pretty rare sight down here so wouldn't fancy seeing a cabby giving rides with my car!

any suggestion would be greatly appreciated

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
I am going to have the same problems, as I only have one key and its not from the original anti theft modual ,so will have to get another key and reprogram the lot,, not quite sure yet of the prceedure as the manual does not cover it..

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
With only one key, you will need to visit a Ford dealer to get a new one programmed. Many cannot be programmed even if you have 2 as the program enable bit is turned off for security on many. Both of mine were that way.

enrico

GT Owner
Jul 20, 2010
London, UK
thanks jcthorne, have already sent an email to Dave Jones re getting a new set... was wondering if there is a procedure to re-synch the chip/keyfob codes in order to prevent unwanted access to the car...

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Yes and no. Yes the key codes can be deleted by the dealer, but not by the owner without the scan tool. Keyfobs are a bit easier, if you have one, programming more is easily accomplished according to the sequence in the owners manual. Program 4 and any older ones are wiped out. IE only the last 4 will remain in memory. Don't recal a way to erase keyfobs though but may be possible with the scan tool in the security options.

enrico

GT Owner
Jul 20, 2010
London, UK
Program 4 and any older ones are wiped out. IE only the last 4 will remain in memory. Don't recal a way to erase keyfobs though but may be possible with the scan tool in the security options.

Thanks very helpful, so if I re-program the (only) one I have 5 times over then pretty sure that the lost one would be wiped out...

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Not 100% positive on that. Never tried programming the same one multiple times. Perhaps someone else knows for certian.

peiserg

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2010
Phoenix, az
Before you go through the expense and effort, does the key identify itself as for a ford gt? The only key i have that does this is my exoticare keyblade. the stock ones I have just say Ford on them. Also, were your house keys on the keychain? Unless there is some way for the finder to figure out your address... I doubt there's any need for worry. I still recall from grade school... I lost a set of house keys at school and my mom rekeyed the whole house. As if my keyring had my home address stenciled into the key or something. Kinda of overkill, and a big waste of money.

Oh, FWIW, Ace hardware does all my key copies, including the ones with microchips, for $25, and that includes the price of the key blank they sell. i discovered that fact after calling Acura and getting quoted $300.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
OEM Ford GT keys say FORD GT on them and a blue Ford oval on the other side. Aftermarket replacements do not have the metal inlay tags.

RADGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 31, 2006
Connecticut
I bought a blank key and remote specific to the Ford GT off ebay but I believe Torrie sells them as well. Had a car locksmith come to the house, cut the key, reprogram the new key and the original remote and back in business. The locksmith charged 125 for the house call. The expense was worth it not having to bring the car to a dealer, etc. Any good locksmith who deals with quality cars should be able to do it.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
I bought a blank key and remote specific to the Ford GT off ebay but I believe Torrie sells them as well. Had a car locksmith come to the house, cut the key, reprogram the new key and the original remote and back in business. The locksmith charged 125 for the house call. The expense was worth it not having to bring the car to a dealer, etc. Any good locksmith who deals with quality cars should be able to do it.

Yep, FGT Keys, and FOB's in stock !

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
I took mine to the Lincoln dealer where my Wife's MKT is serviced. They know me pretty well. They cut the OEM key and coded it to the car at no charge while I watched. Well, they did disappear for a while with the key but the car stayed in the service drive sparking LOTS of conversations. Customers and employees alike. I think they wanted the car out of there so folks would get back to work..... Point is, many dealers will do this service at no charge, especially for a GT that they never get to see. There is not much risk as they do not need to drive the car, the scan tool is hand held or laptop based.

enrico

GT Owner
Jul 20, 2010
London, UK
yeah unfortunately mine is OEM and has Ford GT written on it, it is not a very common sight in London so there is an hopefully remote chance that someone might try his luck. Hopefully Mountune will be able to do something about it.... was hoping for a quick fix in the meantime. will let you know how I get on.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
NEW GT KEY INSTRUCTIONS:

CUTTING THE KEY

Once you receive your key - try to have the key cut at a local FORD DEALER or reputable locksmith's shop.
Most locksmith's will have the proper equipment to have the key cut while still within the key shell.
If you are unable to have the key cut within the remote shell - by locksmith or key cutter you will need to remove the key blade.

(IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO HAVE THE KEY CUT WITHIN THE SHELL)

Please view this video that shows in detail the key blade removal process http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFSe8rpRoU8

PROGRAMMING THE KEY

You will be ready to program the key once it has been cut.

YOU WILL NEED YOUR TWO ORIGINAL GT KEYS AND REMOTES TO PROGRAM YOURSELF. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE BOTH ORIGINAL KEYS, A DEALER VISIT MAY BE REQUIRED FOR SECURTIY PURPOSES.

Once your key has been cut, test the key in to door lock, as well as the ignition to see if it turns smoothly (the car will not start yet!)

PROGRAMMING THE KEY FOR IGNITION:

Obtain 2 original GT keys (A and B).
- Insert key A into ignition switch.
- Turn ignition switch ON. Wait 1 second.
- Switch ignition OFF. Remove key A.
Within 5 seconds:
- Insert key B into ignition switch.
- Switch ignition OFF. Remove key B.
Within 10 seconds:
- Insert new GT key to be programmed into ignition switch.
- Switch ignition OFF.
Start engine. (REMEMBER TO USE START BUTTON!!)
If engine does not start and system warning lamp flashes:
Switch ignition OFF. Repeat programming procedure.
Repeat above procedure to program remaining keys.
Keys can also be programmed using diagnostic equipment.

PROGRAMMING THE REMOTE CONTROL BUTTONS:

Programming the Remote Buttons:
Once again you will need both original GT Keys + the new GT remote

1. Using one of the original GT keys, Turn ignition from OFF to RUN 8 times within 10 seconds, with the 8th time ending in RUN. Door locks will cycle (Beep) to confirm programming mode.

2. Within 20 seconds press any button on first keyless remote (A). Door locks will cycle (beep) to confirm programming, then within 20 seconds, press any button on second keyless remote (B). Door locks will cycle (beep) again to confirm programming, then within 20 seconds, press any button on New GT Key keyless remote (C). Door locks will cycle (beep) again

3. Turn ignition to OFF. Locks will again cycle (beep) to indicate end of programming mode.

Exoticare

*Supporting Vendor*
Supporting Vendor
Jul 18, 2006
Great White North
Yes these instructions are for the New GT Key - but applicable to the stock key/fobs as well.

Correct that Dealers need to program a new key if you only have one.

If you have two functioning keys, you can program a 3rd and 4th with these instructions

I also have the Switchblade Keys in stock at the moment - all in Black with Carbon Fiber style labels.

Thanks!

NEW GT KEY INSTRUCTIONS:

CUTTING THE KEY

Once you receive your key - try to have the key cut at a local FORD DEALER or reputable locksmith's shop.
Most locksmith's will have the proper equipment to have the key cut while still within the key shell.
If you are unable to have the key cut within the remote shell - by locksmith or key cutter you will need to remove the key blade.

(IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO HAVE THE KEY CUT WITHIN THE SHELL)

Please view this video that shows in detail the key blade removal process http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFSe8rpRoU8

PROGRAMMING THE KEY

You will be ready to program the key once it has been cut.

YOU WILL NEED YOUR TWO ORIGINAL GT KEYS AND REMOTES TO PROGRAM YOURSELF. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE BOTH ORIGINAL KEYS, A DEALER VISIT MAY BE REQUIRED FOR SECURTIY PURPOSES.

Once your key has been cut, test the key in to door lock, as well as the ignition to see if it turns smoothly (the car will not start yet!)

PROGRAMMING THE KEY FOR IGNITION:

Within 5 seconds:
Within 10 seconds:
- Switch ignition OFF.

PROGRAMMING THE REMOTE CONTROL BUTTONS:

Programming the Remote Buttons:
Once again you will need both original GT Keys + the new GT remote

1. Using one of the original GT keys, Turn ignition from OFF to RUN 8 times within 10 seconds, with the 8th time ending in RUN. Door locks will cycle (Beep) to confirm programming mode.

2. Within 20 seconds press any button on first keyless remote (A). Door locks will cycle (beep) to confirm programming, then within 20 seconds, press any button on second keyless remote (B). Door locks will cycle (beep) again to confirm programming, then within 20 seconds, press any button on New GT Key keyless remote (C). Door locks will cycle (beep) again

3. Turn ignition to OFF. Locks will again cycle (beep) to indicate end of programming mode.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
I hope the moderator will make a quick link to those instructions. If I save them, I'll never find them, and my day is coming.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
If you lose both keys you don't have much of a choice. From "the book" (the service manual)

NOTE: This procedure is used when a customer needs keys programmed into the system and does not have 2 programmed ignition keys available. This procedure is also useful when programmed ignition key(s) have been lost or a new ignition switch assembly has been installed, and it is desired to erase key(s) from the passive anti-theft system (PATS) memory.

NOTE: This procedure will erase all programmed ignition keys from the vehicle memory and the vehicle will not start until two keys have been reprogrammed to the vehicle.

NOTE: Two PATS encoded keys with the correct mechanical cut must be available to carry out this procedure. One or both of them may be the original keys.

NOTE: If additional keys are to be programmed, refer to Key Programming Using Two Programmed Keys in this section. If the remaining keys are not available with the vehicle, instruct the customer to refer to the owner's literature for instructions on programming the remaining keys.

Turn the ignition from OFF to ON.
Using the diagnostic tool, follow the SECURITY ACCESS to obtain security access. For additional information, refer to Anti-Theft Security Access in this section.
From the diagnostic tool menu, select IGNITION KEY CODE ERASE.
NOTE: Do not select any additional commands from this menu.

Turn the ignition OFF and disconnect the diagnostic tool.
Insert the first encoded key into the ignition and turn the ignition to ON for 1 second.
Insert the second encoded key into the ignition and turn the ignition to the ON position for 1 second.
Remove the second encoded key from the ignition.
The vehicle should now start with both ignition keys.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
NEW GT KEY INSTRUCTIONS:

PROGRAMMING THE KEY

Within 5 seconds:
Within 10 seconds:
- Switch ignition OFF.

Don't be too surprised if these instructions do not work on your GT. There is an option that can be set in the Security features menu to disable user programming of keys. I had never run into it acually being set on any other Ford. Both of the GTs I have had, the option was enabled. The additional key has to be added via the diagnostic scanner. Don't know if this was a factory default in early 2006 or if its somethng the dealers were setting. Just letting you guys know it exists in case your programming attempts fail.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Best Solution - Don't lose your keys!