Lose That Supercharger!

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
At a recent open track event at Sears Point Raceway in Sonoma, CA one of the engine builders at Huffaker spoke to me regarding the GT. He wanted me to pass the word that they have the ability to get as much hp out of our 5.4 L engines without the supercharger. They have the service available to any GT owners. http://www.HuffakerEng.com

Dumb idea! They want to run our engines in their Mustangs that compete in the SCCA World Challenge GT Series but they can't run a supercharger according to the rules. But if anyone wants to lose a little weight & spend a little money let me know how it goes!

Ed

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
At a recent open track event at Sears Point Raceway in Sonoma, CA one of the engine builders at Huffaker spoke to me regarding the GT. He wanted me to pass the word that they have the ability to get as much hp out of our 5.4 L engines without the supercharger. They have the service available to any GT owners. http://www.HuffakerEng.com

Dumb idea! They want to run our engines in their Mustangs that compete in the SCCA World Challenge GT Series but they can't run a supercharger according to the rules. But if anyone wants to lose a little weight & spend a little money let me know how it goes!

Ed

There is NO WAY - NO WAY! - I'd give up the "whine"! No Sir! No way! :slap

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
Actually as much as I love the whine there is nothing better than a NA engine spinning at 9,000 rpms behind your ears....

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Actually as much as I love the whine there is nothing better than a NA engine spinning at 9,000 rpms behind your ears....

You will be hard pressed to spin the 5.4 to 9000 rpm and have engine last for any reasonable length of time. The piston speeds and loads will be too great.

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
You are right... mu comment was completely out of contest. You won't be able to see 9k with this V8, not this 5.4.

But for example the 6.3 V8 AMG motor peaks at 7k (8k redline?). The 4.3 Ferrari peaks at 8,500....

I just love the power delivery of a high revving NA engine mated to a lightweight flywheel.

The flip side of the coin is that none of those engine can even come close to the wall of torque you get at 2k with the GT...

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
I chatted with this guy at the Long Beach Grand Prix a few weeks back.They started with a GT motor. It was sleaved to 6 liters, ALL aftermarket internals, 90mil. single throat injector (I think I recall Dart heads) tons of compression and ran a IRL style trans axle. I believe the mechanic said the car chassis dynoed in the high 500's.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
I know that race groups have different rules. But for us ever day, guys why spend all the time and money to get back to the same place that you started at?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I know that race groups have different rules. But for us ever day, guys why spend all the time and money to get back to the same place that you started at?

:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
i can see where if you want the ultimate short track car that you would want to ditch the supercharger and go N/A with less heat and weight, etc. but the GT was never designed for short tracks or intended to be used on them. GT-40's and GT's are made for high speed endurance tracks and that is just what i will be using mine for. so that bein the case injection is nice but i'd rather be blown. put a whipple or twin turbo's on your GT and go 200 mph at the silver state classic. :cool

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
...but the GT was never designed for short tracks or intended to be used on them. GT-40's and GT's are made for high speed endurance tracks and that is just what i will be using mine for. so that bein the case injection is nice but i'd rather be blown. put a whipple or twin turbo's on your GT and go 200 mph at the silver state classic. :cool

Freddy, right on target!
:cheers :thumbsup

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
Don't forget the loss of instant on torque. I almost ran my Terminator through the back of a 360 modena after I heard him open up at about 20mph. It was pathetic. I haven't seen him since I bought the GT for total humiliation.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
The Stillen car kept the supercharger on the car that competed in the New Zealand Targa. If I remember correctly speeds were limited to 120 kph.