...looks like I need a trailer

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Over the wheel tie downs the car will not move at all, even if one falls off.

I drive in, even with the 1" margin. A tip, if you do drive in, put the car in "wet" mode, slows down the throttle, car is smoother to inch forward.

BAT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2012
Central Mitten
What kind of tie-down straps are you guys (and Monica) using?

lc2006

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 10, 2011
Centreville, Delaware
Over the wheel tie downs the car will not move at all, even if one falls off.

I drive in, even with the 1" margin. A tip, if you do drive in, put the car in "wet" mode, slows down the throttle, car is smoother to inch forward.
Yeah, I figured out the "wet mode" trick real quick as I was pulling L0054 out of the Ford dealer's showroom! I hopped into the GT, fired it up, selected "Drive" and nearly put my GT through the plate glass window of the dealership! It was a very exhilarating first drive of my GT! Lol!

lc2006

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 10, 2011
Centreville, Delaware
I trailer my Shelbys and Cobras about 25,000 miles each year. I have been using Mac's Custom Tie-Downs for years, and I am happy as a clam with them.

When I moved L0054 the other day, I used Mac's Versa Track and their Tire Block straps. As I mentioned in my prior post, L0054 did not move even a fraction of an inch during the 55 mile trip to the PPF shop.

Here is a link to the straps that I used: http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/product/tire-block-strap-pack/Tire-Block-Straps

Last edited:

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Macs are great option, I found these to be a better value (for me) and Brian, you could even pick them up local (note a lot of options on their site. Truckntow claims they make the idler for Macs (thats what they said when I was ordering one time, who knows)

Reactions: BAT

Iconic GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 30, 2017
New Braunfels, Texas

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Doug, thats actually the same supplier (but through amazon) TrucknTow. Price difference might be a hook, vs etrack fittings, dunno.

Reactions: Iconic GT

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I too have the INTECH wide body trailer. I drive it on ,open the door and get out! whats impressive about the trailer is it has 2 -5,500 lb axels.Plus the axels are further apart than other trailers. This makes for really nice trailering on the highway. Very stable and smooth.

SPI

Nov 28, 2018
Chicago
I looked at both this system at Barrett Jackson in Scottsdale.. really cool... I also looked at the JIMGLOS. I decided not to go with JIMGLO for the mere fact there is no dealer network. You need to pick it up in AZ and if any issues in the future it has to go back to AZ.

Here is the trailer I bought. This company is famous for making $150,000 horse transporters. They are located in Oklahoma and have a dealer in Waco I'm from Texas too) with a larger dealer network across the USA.

The trailer is nearly Identical to the JIMGLO. all aluminum, Big side door, extended ramp, spread axle spare tire, LED lighting and more... I had an extra remote wich and installed and like others winch in (with motor running for power steering) Priced less than a JIMGLO too!

http://www.sundownertrailer.com/tlr-RaceSeries.html

Best of luck!

You made a great choice on the trailer. I have had ATC , Trailex, and Featherlite trailers. In the years of going to countless track events , races, and shows and getting feedback from different trailer owners I decided to build a Sundowner Trailer on top of becoming a dealer for them as well!

The reason I chose to deal with them is the quality, value, and most important of all is the willingness of a manufacturer to make the custom 1/1 trailer for our different unique needs.

I am having them build me a 5th wheel trailer that is capable of transporting the Ford GT for show and track events as well as a lifted jeep projects for the trails in California, Colorado, and Utah.

If anyone has any questions regarding custom trailer specifications from Sundowner or Trailex feel free to message me.

lc2006

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 10, 2011
Centreville, Delaware
You made a great choice on the trailer. I have had ATC , Trailex, and Featherlite trailers. In the years of going to countless track events , races, and shows and getting feedback from different trailer owners I decided to build a Sundowner Trailer on top of becoming a dealer for them as well!

The reason I chose to deal with them is the quality, value, and most important of all is the willingness of a manufacturer to make the custom 1/1 trailer for our different unique needs.

I am having them build me a 5th wheel trailer that is capable of transporting the Ford GT for show and track events as well as a lifted jeep projects for the trails in California, Colorado, and Utah.

If anyone has any questions regarding custom trailer specifications from Sundowner or Trailex feel free to message me.

As I mentioned previously, Sundowner is currently fabricating a custom 24' trailer for me. Sundowner expects that my trailer will complete assembly this coming Monday, so I will follow-up with the Forum once I have used the trailer a bit.

As part of my due diligence, I visited several trailer manufacturers and toured their manufacturing facilities. My primary design criteria included: a) the trailer must be 100% aluminum; i.e., no plywood at all, and b) a new Ford GT must be able to be driven into the trailer; i.e., the trailer must have a left side "escape door" and removable inner fenders which will allow the GT driver's door to open fully.

After completing my due diligence, I selected Sundowner.

There are no Sundowner dealers located anywhere near me, so I had to deal directly with Sundowner. The folks at Sundowner have been an absolute pleasure to deal with. They have accommodated all of my requests regarding the specifications of my trailer.

I should probably note that I did look into a Jimglo trailer -- three of my friends own Jimglo Elite trailers, and they are quite pleased with them. I simply couldn't get my head around the Jimglo's lightweight composite construction. I suspect that the Jimglo's lightweight composite technology is perfectly fine; it is simply that I prefer 100% aluminum construction, but this is just a personal quirk of mine!

Reactions: SPI

canibl

GT Owner
Nov 22, 2005
Sacramento, Cali
well I'm saving up for when this bad boy comes up for sale again....it would be the ultimate transporter for the 05 and upcoming 21 GT...maybe theres room for a MkII as well?!

Attachments

• 1956Fiattransporter_01_1500.jpg
    1956Fiattransporter_01_1500.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 22
Reactions: Austinj427

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.

Nice choice! Looks very similar to my INTECH

Reactions: lc2006