looks like another bad one

samthejeepman

Permanent Vacation
Oct 14, 2005
new jersey
sitting here tonight, i get a call asking if i'm alright ??
the caller(a good friend), just saw a red/white destroyed on a road in my general locale.
i assured him and the next three callers, that my red/white was safely asleep in the garage.
i went to the location of the accident, and sure enough there was a 2005 (1202?) on a wrecker, in very bad shape
from what i gathered from the shaken up driver, the gound was damp wet, a mustang came up along side of the gt, the gt driver went to shift from 5th to 3rd, but instead went into 1st, and the rear end locked up, and the car spun around in a circle. the front end smashed into a massive road railing, and the rear 1/4 hit the same railing when it spun around.
from what i could see, almost every panel and seam on the vehicle that is not destroyed is out of out of alignment.
the driver claimed that the gt belonged to a friend of his who had just got it recently as new. the owner lent the vehicle to the driver for the weekend.
i took some pictures, but i'm not sure how to post them(any suggestions would be helpful !!!!)
sorry to report this, but maybe it will help the next owner if a similiar situation presents itself(wet pavement-speeding-shift pattern)

sam
#1451 red/white

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
you are correct (as always). the insurance covers the car regardless who's driving.

whether true or not, I'd be VERY cautious about letting "friends" drive your GT. I struck out swinging (should have learned my lesson after the 1st one). I buy a nice car. Strike 1: The first friend I let drive it (I'm in the passenger seat for both of these) he brushes the front rim against the curb while turning. What an awful sound to hear. :frown Naturally he can't afford to fix it... Strike 2: The 2nd friend I let drive it doesn't pay attention to the dip in the road & bottoms it out. Did he not hear me screaming "slow down"!! No offer to have it looked at & hardly more than a cheap apology. If you're going to drive a car you can't afford, at least have some respect for it! If you wreck something, fix it. Is that not common sense?!? :thumbsdow Strike 3: so now I let no one else drive my car, but... I took a guy to an Italian restaurant & gave him my carryout container to hold while I drove him back to his place. The idiot sets it down on the console rather than holding it. A few minutes later when I reach down to shift, I knock it over, & pasta w/basil, tomato sauce, etc gets on the new seats & in every nook & cranny. I won't even go into his attempt at cleaning it up. Let's just say I dropped him off, spent hours & hours cleaning it, & never saw this guy again...

Hopefully you guys all have better luck than I.

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
White Petunia said:
Interesting how many times I hear that a wrecked car was driven by "a friend". Tell me if I'm wrong, but in the US doesn't insurance "follow the car"? Meaning if your friend drives your car and hits someone else, your insurance is liable? If so, God help you if your friend kills someone while borrowing your car.

I wonder if the driver said "Dietrich ran up the hill over there..."
Yes it was Deitrich a German Pygmy looking gentleman with a Pony tail. This is yet another example of how loaning this particular car has Dire Consequences, I have let one friend of mine drive it with me in it and I was Sweating Bullets the whole time. I have noticed that when I drive the GT I am much more alert to other Idiot drivers then when I am driving my daily car.

Pipelion

To the four posts and posters above....

...oh my God.........lots of bad. :ack ..some funny.. :lol :lol ..

Allan

Pipelion

I did let a few drive my P. Turbos, but only people I knew well and I stayed with them. Except when I got in a car pacing my car.

Great wheels scrubing curbs is so suckey. Lot's of people don't know any better. Or care. :thumbsdow

To bad for Deiter en Frans or Hanns, that is not cool.

Let me see now what happens if I shift from 5th to 1st?????? :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
samthejeepman said:
from what i gathered from the shaken up driver, the gound was damp wet, a mustang came up along side of the gt, the gt driver went to shift from 5th to 3rd, but instead went into 1st, and the rear end locked up, and the car spun around in a circle....

hmm, sounds like the friends wanted to destroy the guy in the Mustang :thumbsdow

This should be written up as a kill story, with the Mustang as the winner :lol

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
I've been lucky, I have let ........... :confused 7 people not inluding my wife and I have driven our baby. I guess we've been lucky. I will definitely reconsider after hearing the above stories. So far, the expression has been worth the offer. But I guess my expression on my wrecked baby isn't worth the thoought, :ack :bs :eek

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
Thats weird, I have a hard time down shifting into first unless I'm going SLOW.

Pipelion

I will absolutly let certain people drive my GT when I get it.

Not take it for a spin though, way way to easy for somebody to get the endorfins flowing and make a no no. Or do something stupid like get on it a little with cold tires etc.

Allan

Easy for me to say, I know.

MK2_GT

GTX1 Owner
Mar 25, 2006
No one will drive my GT. I let my borther in law drive my Porsche Turbo (nothing happened) and I did let many friends and relatives drive and borrow my C5. One friend scratched the hell out of the C5 but then and got it all fixed up for me.

Basically it is not worth the aggravation to let someone hurt the GT.

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
There's one thing worse that you friend wrecking your GT, it's your friend wrecking your GT and getting killed. Try living with that.

Pipelion

Kirby,

Don't even want to go there.

Pipelion

Just had to post this............

Guy shifts from 5th (upper right), trys third misses hits 1st (upper left).

OK my point.....The shift pattern is a U shaped move,,,,,,,so what does the car do?.................................a U turn........................

a U turn follows the 5th to 1st gear shift...U pattern and then first U turn of car.

Shift pattern= U turn
Auto pattern= U turn.......momentum adds more U turns...

Allan

Last edited:

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I have 'swapped' cars of an equal value with friends for a weekend, but I wouldn't do that with the GT. To be honest, I would think it a bit of a cheek if someone asked to borrow it, I wouldn't dream of asking any of my friends if I could borrow their most precious car.

samthejeepman

Permanent Vacation
Oct 14, 2005
new jersey
petunia
to answer your insurance question, yes and no !!!!
the type of insurance i have (collector insurance), only allows people i put onto my policy to drive the car in question.
if anyone else drives it and has an accident, i'm not covered.
it works great, when i"m asked by a "friend" to take it for a spin, i tell them "sorry, my insurance does not cover you as a driver"

sam
#1451 red/white

AMER SPD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 18, 2005
Northern California
This happend several years ago when my friend let someone drive his viper.

http://www.wreckedexotics.com/viper/viper_062202_05.shtml
http://www.wreckedexotics.com/viper/viper_062202_04.shtml
http://www.wreckedexotics.com/viper/viper_062202_06.shtml

What we couldn't believe is that someone had a camera to take these pictures. This happend before camera phones... And were told about his car on this site about 3 years after the accident. It was a little weird seeing his car on the pop-up.

Last edited:

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
Yikes..that viper looks like a power steering cap fire..I just put the fix on mine..

Matt

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
I am not sure the GT will go into 1ST at speed, I haven't and will not try and Jam it into 1ST above recommended speed, but it sounds Fishy. I think he just Lost it and made up a story like it was the cars fault.

Pipelion

AMER
SPD

Scary fire, good deal he got out.

Allan

96GTS

Nov 9, 2005
Fords, NJ
Sam send the pics over here. I'll post them for you.

Something about the viper shots I never believed...