Looking for Recommendations on Shipping a GT to the South of France

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Thinking about participating in the 2012 Mille Miglia and would love to do so in the GT. Hoping someone might know of a reliable shipping company to use (leave from NY, NJ or DE ports) . My wife is from Nice so we would prefer to ship there or to Marseille, pick up the car, visit relatives and then drive to Italy. Any other suggestions regarding the Mille Miglia would be appreciated.

ThatPhilBrettGuy

GT Owner
May 9, 2007
London, UK.
Interested to know how you can do this in the GT or are you just following the tour? Always used to be for cars that had taken part between 1927 and 1957 only...

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
^^^ What thatphilbrettguy says. You might be able to "follow" the tour but I don't think you can actually participate in it with a modern GT (or an original GT40 for that matter). Unless there's been some entry modifications that are new, or a new "modern" class of Mille Miglia. Anyway, sub'd to find out more. I hope that you can do it, that would be very cool.

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
Also subscribing as I have been thinking of shipping the 40 over for the Le Mans Classic event in July. Also, curious what are the requirements once you are there regarding insurance and license to be able to drive on public roads.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Some of the info for getting things to Europe and what you have to do once you get there might be in GT Joey's discussion of the Around the World. I believe the group is planning on joining up with a group of Shelby folks. They keep trying to recruit me for it but (1) it sounds awfully pricey and (2) I can't take that much time off next summer. Plus the car lives in a ship for probably close to two months of prime summer season. I sure would like a crack at the 'ring, and some of the other tour stops but it would interfere with my time with the GT here.

And finally, having discovered the supercharger leak I'd rather put the first year's use on the car here close to service so I can get all of the bugs worked out.

Last edited:

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
2 months without? Well, when you put it that way... Bogus! Maybe just fly over, attend the event, and rent a car for a couple days of speeding... legally

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I'm betting you are looking for at least three to four weeks each way for the car. Figure a week+ on the boat, and 1-2 weeks on the truck between the port and Colorado. Add leeways for scheduling the truck (you can't get a delivery within a day, trust me) and I'm guessing at least 3 weeks on either side of the Euro trip, and even at that I'm assuming 0 lead time at the European port (you'll pick it up there and deliver it). Also, at the port the car is left in the elements.

It sure would be fun to do, but it's just too much for me to try to wrap around all of the stuff that has to happen with clockwork precision to plan it now. So I'm not. :(, at least not this time.

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
2 months without? Well, when you put it that way... Bogus! Maybe just fly over, attend the event, and rent a car for a couple days of speeding... legally
I'm starting to lean that way based upon all of the feedback. Greatly appreciated BTW.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I would still wait for Joey to pipe in or contact him directly by PM to find out what the arrangements he is making with the Cobra group. As a group they may have optimized this greatly.

Has anyone else direct experience?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
PM sent with reliable and real contact for shipping your car to Europe.

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
I am participating in the Shelby road trip around Europe this summer. I agree it is pricey but they trip that has been planned looks like the trip of a lifetime.

Cheers
Anders

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
PM sent with reliable and real contact for shipping your car to Europe.

Can you share the details or someone who has done it in the past provide some details such as pick up dock arrival time requirements, transit times, customs requirements, etc?

When my Cobra was going to Japan they were going to ship by boat but I later found it went by air...

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Thinking about participating in the 2012 Mille Miglia and would love to do so in the GT. Hoping someone might know of a reliable shipping company to use (leave from NY, NJ or DE ports) . My wife is from Nice so we would prefer to ship there or to Marseille, pick up the car, visit relatives and then drive to Italy. Any other suggestions regarding the Mille Miglia would be appreciated.
ViperJoe, sorry hadnt seen this thread......catching up with the new year....
1. You have to have an entire game plan of where/when and why.....
2. You have to get "ALL" the correct paper work to enter each and every counrty completed and fees paid ,before you even leave......
3. Shipping by boat pallet or crate is aprox. $10,000 round trip, with port leaving from Baltimore, from where you live.....the car must be there 3 weeks prior...
4.Shipping by plane? well we tried, its almost $20,000 round trip, 3 days lag not 3 weeks, but double the price.........
5.Its no cake walk with the insurance either.........If your company takes the risk, the limits are higher and ALL the countries agenda's have to be approved before they issue the insurance card.......
6. The above costs have nothing to do with your personal plane fairs.....
7. All visa's / border papers must be approved ahead of time....the E.U. is not a happy place right now, they are all pitted against each other for tax money.......
8. If your still ago.......not one piece of paper can be loaded in the car....luggage etc......
9. Call when you get time......its not easy.......but a once in a lifetime..........gtjoey1314 good luck

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
I am participating in the Shelby road trip around Europe this summer. I agree it is pricey but they trip that has been planned looks like the trip of a lifetime.

Cheers
Anders
Ander, Agreed, for people in the states.....Nardo and I going it alone without the group.......Would just about be 4 times the cost.......for europe....
Shipping in a pack/insurance as a group and bundled hotels is saving us close to $20,000.00 no joke..........

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
I used First Air to ship my GT from London to Boston six years ago. They ship a lot of race cars across the pond. Website is as follows:

http://www.first-air.com/

The cost was about $4,800 one way and the service was excellent. It was shipped in a separate container. I would make sure you get your own container as you don't want other stuff shifting around in the same container as your car during long boat ride.

PM me if you have any questions.

Rob

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Ander, Agreed, for people in the states.....Nardo and I going it alone without the group.......Would just about be 4 times the cost.......for europe....
Shipping in a pack/insurance as a group and bundled hotels is saving us close to $20,000.00 no joke..........

What?!? I thought you guys were taking transatlantic flights on private jets!

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Just thinking everything out...would be neat, but costs over the last 3 years have gone through the roof....gtjoey1314
The concorde would have been really cool...