Looking for a track car.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Feel free to PM me if you want to talk about it. The key part of renting is that if for what ever reason you dont like it (the car, racing in general what ever) you simply walk away, you have not bought something you now have to resell. So another scenario, is that after you rent a car from a CSR, you can then later buy one, but the CSR can still take care of it. They handle all of the prep and transport for you. So you can own the car, but don't have to deal with buying a truck, trailer, tools, and prep in between races, etc etc. Simply "arrive and drive".

I don't think you are beating a dead horse at all. I did not know about CSR so I think it's a good option to look into. Definitely going to get a SCCA license at some point but it will probably be a couple of years of school and simple track days before I take the next steps. I've got allot of learning but I also dive right into this sort of thing so buying a track car is part of my commitment but I do like the CSR idea so I'll investigate that first.

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Ford Performance Racing School is selling their GT350's. Rumor on the interwebs is $45k. Personally I wouldnt touch these with a 20 foot pole, but I know some Forum members bought their previous generation of cars.

Cars are SOLD OUT as of 11/13

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Ford Performance Racing School is selling their GT350's. Rumor on the interwebs is $45k. Personally I wouldnt touch these with a 20 foot pole, but I know some Forum members bought their previous generation of cars.
A car that has been beat on and abused is not really what I'm looking for. That, and I'm sure, there would be a ton of refresh required to bring it up to speed...... if you know what I mean.

QSS

Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
I was following this car on BAT as it fit bill. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2014-ford-mustang-boss-302s/ I was all set to bid on it when 2 hours before the auction ended, bidding blew right through my "top price" and it sold for $89,000 + commission = $93,450 AND it was missing the original BBS rims that came with the car which is a $2,500 touch. The selling price was pretty much sticker on this car back in 2014! Damn, things are nuts when a used race car sells for sticker 7 years after the initial offering.

OR, maybe I just got left behind in todays market for used race cars.

QSS

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
No doubt the lack of use, and the overall "sellers" market that BaT is, the result is no surprise. I had it open and was watching yesterday, was thinking you could have a 302R for that $. I assume this car would need funds to be freshened.
If you really are going for a Boss 302 you need to get in touch with IndyGT, and from there you can talk to someone that is very deep in this world, knows all the cars. I know Ive posted this for you before, but a reminder.

SRF's in the used market, that are well sorted and competitive can be had for numbers that start with a 3.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Put yourself out of your misery and buy a factory Porsche race car.

Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Put yourself out of your misery and buy a factory Porsche race car.
Are you talking about a GT3/GT3RS or are you talking something more exotic Like a GT4? Please don't tell me your talking about a 935 cause dat's not ever coming to my home in my humble little universe :ROFLMAO:

QSS

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Are you talking about a GT3/GT3RS or are you talking something more exotic Like a GT4? Please don't tell me your talking about a 935 cause dat's not ever coming to my home in my humble little universe :ROFLMAO:

QSS
Depending on your budget there is a vast variety of P cars for the track. You can get a spec 944 for 10k that races in the 944 series. Very competitive racing. A spec boxster which is inexpensive and another very competitive racing class. Than you can spend more and get cup cars 2004 -current cars range from 65k-300plus
I’d be glad to chat to you if I can be of any help
Send me a pm with your cell if you want to chat about all the options
Ron

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
Appreciate this tread, really good advice here.
Think I'll have go with 'Spec Miata'. Looks like a ton of fun and a heck of a bang for the buck.
You can rent them, and if I like It enough get one. One was sold on BaT very recently.

Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Depending on your budget there is a vast variety of P cars for the track. You can get a spec 944 for 10k that races in the 944 series. Very competitive racing. A spec boxster which is inexpensive and another very competitive racing class. Than you can spend more and get cup cars 2004 -current cars range from 65k-300plus
I’d be glad to chat to you if I can be of any help
Send me a pm with your cell if you want to chat about all the options
Ron
Thanks Ron. I've found a huge range of Porsche options. So many that I'm a bit over whelmed by all that is available. What I've found is that looking for a track car is extremely daunting. It's hard to know if your looking at a a good solid car built by a reputable builder or a piece of junk. I did find an interesting 99 Porsche Boxter in Vegas on Racing Junk: https://www.racingjunk.com/other/18...che&quickSearch=1&np_offset=58&from=search#39
I'm gonna be in Vegas in 4 weeks and I'll go check it out if it's still for sale when I get there .

QSS

Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Anyone have a 17 or 18 Mustang FP350s they wanna part with?

QSS

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Not sure exactly what your goal is. Do you want to be fastest, safest, coolest, rarest .... ?

Most of us, even though we may do quite ok, will never get to be fastest around the track. The level of talent as well as the willingness to spend tons of money needed will kill that for most of us so what´s left ....

My take is to choose a car you just find cool. To me it´s all about "When you turn on your car, does it return the favor". I´ve also learned over time that when ever I settle for something "almost like the one I wanted", I always end up being not happy with it ....

I´m a Ford guy and I love the FR500C, the FR500S, the Boss302S etc. .... but I´ve had just as much fun in my Mustang Miller School car with only 325 hp as it allows me to focus on my driving - doing it right instead of trying to be faster than my skill level really is .... on street oriented tires rather than slicks allowing much more fun driving on the (my) edge.

The most fun is probably in a vintage racer on Dunlop tires :)

A FR500C is seriously cool .... so will a 65K code vintage race Mustang be also :)

Good luck on your hunt for speed :)

cheers
Anders

Reactions: Special K and 2112

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The absolute funnest car I ever drove was the Formula Ford.

Reactions: roketman

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
My FPRS Boss 302 which is built nearly identical to the 302S is definitely a hoot. It’s simple, raw, and doesn’t break the bank. Not the fastest, loudest, or most powerful, but just a fun car to track! C06D27CB-DF68-4DF4-A546-E5F035B0F5D0.jpeg

Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Not sure exactly what your goal is. Do you want to be fastest, safest, coolest, rarest .... ?

Most of us, even though we may do quite ok, will never get to be fastest around the track. The level of talent as well as the willingness to spend tons of money needed will kill that for most of us so what´s left ....

My take is to choose a car you just find cool. To me it´s all about "When you turn on your car, does it return the favor". I´ve also learned over time that when ever I settle for something "almost like the one I wanted", I always end up being not happy with it ....

I´m a Ford guy and I love the FR500C, the FR500S, the Boss302S etc. .... but I´ve had just as much fun in my Mustang Miller School car with only 325 hp as it allows me to focus on my driving - doing it right instead of trying to be faster than my skill level really is .... on street oriented tires rather than slicks allowing much more fun driving on the (my) edge.

The most fun is probably in a vintage racer on Dunlop tires :)

A FR500C is seriously cool .... so will a 65K code vintage race Mustang be also :)

Good luck on your hunt for speed :)

cheers
Anders
What is my goal?
To be the fastest? Not a chance, there's always someone faster out there so that is well down my goals list, at least for now. I wanna learn the ins and out of it all, get to know some people and have a good time. I'm 52, I'm not getting any younger and I now have the time and resources to pursue this so that's what I'm gonna do.

To be safe? Safety is one of my top priorities. I plan on working my way up to semi competitive racing over the next several years so a full cage, 6 point harness, fire suppression, and all the usual safety equipment will be required by me as well as the governing bodies. I am just wayyyyyy to important so I am going cover all my bases in that respect. 😊

To be the rarest? Never considered that so no, not looking to be a unicorn. Just wanna enjoy myself and have some fun.

To be the coolest? Hell ya! If I'm not gonna be cool, what's the point? I already drive a 2006 Ford GT and how cool is that, right? I gotta keep up appearances you know.

I'm with you, I too bleed Ford Blue and I absolutely could see myself in a FR500C, FR500S, Boss 302S, FP350s or GT4. They will not be the fastest out (except, maybe the GT4) there but they would fit my style 100% and provide me with a solid platform to learn and grow into the sport. It's funny, 2 years ago, before I was serious about getting a track car, I was finding them everywhere. Heck, a brand new 2018 FP350s sold right here on the forums in 2018. There were many Miller Motor Sports FR500's available and a bunch of Boss 302S's around but now that I'm serious, I'm having a harder time finding what I'm looking for. Must be a sign of the prosperous economic times.

Currently, there is a Boss 302s on bring a trailer so we'll see where that goes. The last 2014 Boss 302S that sold went for $95k and I know where there's another one for $95k but like everything these days, those prices are through the roof. Funny thing is $95k is totally fine but that annoying "frugal and logical" part of my brain keeps chirping at me and my response is "Damn it, shut up frugal logical brain, I don't want to hear it! I am going to buy a track car so stop annoying me with your good ole money sense!" Fricken brains, they can be so irritating.

There's a FR500C on the block at Barrett Jackson next week so I may get a phone bidder pass and take a swing at that one but I feel it may just wind up in a collection, never to see a minute of track time. What a waste. Where do you think the market is on a car like this? https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/2007-FORD-MUSTANG-FR500C-RACE-CAR-251835

Ultimately I believe the 17/18 FP350s ticks all the boxes for me so that's at the top of the list and I'll keep watching and posting here in hopes I find one. I know a few of you have one, maybe you need the storage space and would consider moving it 😁. No matter what I wind up with, I can't wait. I need to be patient yet I look forward to the coming years and adventure that lies ahead. This is gonna be great!

QSS

Last edited:
Reactions: Copenhagen GT
Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
My FPRS Boss 302 which is built nearly identical to the 302S is definitely a hoot. It’s simple, raw, and doesn’t break the bank. Not the fastest, loudest, or most powerful, but just a fun car to track! View attachment 65346
That's what I'm talking about!

QSS

Reactions: Special K

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
It might be a bit much for a beginner, but I always thought the Elan/Sebeco NP01 would be a fun car. It might scratch that Radical itch too. And it would be new, turnkey and I suspect very affordable to race. It was designed by Elan/Panoz, so there is kind of a Ford tie in.

Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
It might be a bit much for a beginner, but I always thought the Elan/Sebeco NP01 would be a fun car. It might scratch that Radical itch too. And it would be new, turnkey and I suspect very affordable to race. It was designed by Elan/Panoz, so there is kind of a Ford tie in.
Interesting looking car but I don't think it would be for me. The company looks like a bit of an upstart and I'm looking for car/company that has a track record.

QSS

Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Easy come, easy go.

I put in a bid 1 hour, 30 minutes before the end of the auction. I had an ice time I wasn't gonna miss so as a result I was on the ice at the end of the auction and I just threw out a bid but it wasn't meant to be. Oh well, there's always something else out there.

QSS

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Easy come, easy go.

I put in a bid 1 hour, 30 minutes before the end of the auction. I had an ice time I wasn't gonna miss so as a result I was on the ice at the end of the auction and I just threw out a bid but it wasn't meant to be. Oh well, there's always something else out there.

QSS
You know what they say in the car business?
There’s an ass for every seat!
No worries you will find one!